Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which browser are you hooked on?

Past Admin

Which browser are you hooked on?

Hey there.

Been a firefox user since the early days (ver 1.01) but as of lately it seems very "buggy" and even lagging at some points..I just could not take it anymore..!

Took the plunge and installed Chrome yesterday. Man, what a difference! And with the X-marks plugin one does not even have to worry about bookmarks...

So which browser are YOU hooked on??
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Re: Which browser are you hooked on?

I too have been using FireFox since ver.1. Currently running v3.5.17 with 20 active addons. But most of the addons are security related. So from time to time I do notice a slow down which is fine for me. I will probably upgrade to version 4 after its first significant revision. As for the other browsers? I will never go back to E. Can't stand that POS. Hopefully I will never go Google for any app because I do not like their MO.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Chrome held my interest for about 10 uses, then I dumped it. I think it's a "biased" browser that "steers" you rather than let you surf.

I'm sticking with Firefox for now. The latest revision is a lot less cluttered and very easy to get accustomed to. I don't need or want friggin' menu and tools bars all over the place and the latest Firefox has cleaned that up for me.

IE just doesn't count, but apparently, SOME sites REQUIRE its use and for that reason only that, do I still keep it around.

Yo-

Gold Member

Hate IE and I have Firefox but I am getting to dislike it very much. It keeps crashing and I don't like their box that tells me they have a problem. Just reconnect. I've tried safari and chrome and don't like either one. For now I will stick with FF and hope they get the bugs out of ver 4.0.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

I like Foxfire alot, It seems the more they upgrade the better it works for me. Probably the only program I can say has ever done that for me. I also use Chrome and IE to do different things. Also if you use Foxfire look into App: greasemonkey and http://userscripts.org/ it automates 1/2 of my web tasks. They also work in chrome. For IE I really like the http://www.ie7pro.com/ plug in. All of that is free I would never use anything that wasn't
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

I go back and forth between the big three, to see if any of the latest updates help. IE9 and FF4 just can't keep up with Chrome...that is in my rigs, with a SoCal dsl connection. I know it has something to do with the way they cache. So, Chrome gets the most use these days because I can see the speed difference. Here's to hoping the other guys catch up around here.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude9999 View Post
    Chrome held my interest for about 10 uses, then I dumped it. I think it's a "biased" browser that "steers" you rather than let you surf.

I'm sticking with Firefox for now. The latest revision is a lot less cluttered and very easy to get accustomed to. I don't need or want friggin' menu and tools bars all over the place and the latest Firefox has cleaned that up for me.

IE just doesn't count, but apparently, SOME sites REQUIRE its use and for that reason only that, do I still keep it around.

Yo-
    Sorry to HiJack this but it is related to the topic....

If you want IE functionality in FF then try one of these,
    IE Tab (FF 3.6+, 4+) (The original addon)
    IE Tab 2 (FF 3.6+ & FF 4+)
    I still use the older version of IE Tab 2 since I'm still using FF-3 but it works great on IE only sites like netfix.

Other Addons to consider:
    BetterPrivacy
    ShowIP
    Flashblock
    Mr Tech Toolkit
    FlagFox
    Download Manager Tweak
    bug489729
    All-In-One Sidebar
    Favicon Picker 3
    ImageTweak
    QuickDrag
    FoxyTunes

And a nice script for GreaseMonkey called BlackBox (Search Engine Anonymizer)

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming"

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Steve Bohlen

At work I use:

IE 8 - not by choice. but have to for some internal sites...hate it.
    Firefox - as much as possible

At home I use:

Chromium - for my minimum Linux installs; does almost everything I need from a browser
    Firefox - Only installed on the one Windows XP partition I have; use it when Chromium doesn't work with a web page or when playing some flash games as it is faster than Chromium.

Novatek

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Sorry to HiJack this but it is related to the topic....

If you want IE functionality in FF then try one of these,
    IE Tab (FF 3.6+, 4+) (The original addon)
    IE Tab 2 (FF 3.6+ & FF 4+)
    I still use the older version of IE Tab 2 since I'm still using FF-3 but it works great on IE only sites like netfix.

Other Addons to consider:
    BetterPrivacy
    ShowIP
    Flashblock
    Mr Tech Toolkit
    FlagFox
    Download Manager Tweak
    bug489729
    All-In-One Sidebar
    Favicon Picker 3
    ImageTweak
    QuickDrag
    FoxyTunes

And a nice script for GreaseMonkey called BlackBox (Search Engine Anonymizer)

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming"
    I also use Firefox with some of those addons as well.

You may also want to try Fasterfox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...asterfox-9148/
    Noscript (recommended) - http://noscript.net/
    FireFTP - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fireftp/
    Last edited by Novatek; 05-21-11 at 05:47 PM.

I use Firefox for most things. It runs fast. Normally when I surf MSNBC for instance I just load all the articles I'm interested in in background tabs and read at leisure.

The only thing I use IE for is net purchases, not sure why but I don't trust FF quite as much for that.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast