Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about this one....

Past Administrator

Re: How about this one....

Same symptoms as before, when I tried to run AQUA ROQS WUs a month ago. It runs for a few minutes, and then shuts the computer down. Just a hard shutdown, computer goes off. Have to power back on with the power button.

Other projects are PG on the CUDA GPUs only, and WuProp. I will probably add FreeHal back in too, eventually.
    It was belting out RNA World WUs perfect, and I just switched back to Primaboinca, and that is running perfect too.
    So....something about AQUA ROQS and the DrPop rig no-like.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Same symptoms as before, when I tried to run AQUA ROQS WUs a month ago. It runs for a few minutes, and then shuts the computer down. Just a hard shutdown, computer goes off. Have to power back on with the power button.

Other projects are PG on the CUDA GPUs only, and WuProp. I will probably add FreeHal back in too, eventually.
    It was belting out RNA World WUs perfect, and I just switched back to Primaboinca, and that is running perfect too.
    So....something about AQUA ROQS and the DrPop rig no-like.
    If you are OC'ing then you might need to back it off 200~300 Mhz. Just a thought.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

I could try that again, maybe it will work this time. I took it all the way back to stock last time, and still got the crashes. Maybe when I have some time again I will check that.

Gold Member

Stick with SETI it is SOLID!!!

Cruncher Pete

I could try that again, maybe it will work this time. I took it all the way back to stock last time, and still got the crashes. Maybe when I have some time again I will check that.
    All I can do is sympathize with you Dr Pop. The reason is that I am having similar problems. I am aware of cleaning the system of all driver by using driver sweeper and I start from scratch yet sometimes I can not install two 5870's in the same system. That said for one machine, yet another one of exactly the same set up it will work, and in deed it will install Nvidia as well as ATI drivers in the same system and it will work.

Silver Member

@ DrPop.....

The problem you have is suggestive of an inadequet power supply. I have seen this very problem more than once in the last few weeks. Upping the PS wattage has fixed the problem more than once!

The only symptom was....start project, run a while, maybe a couple hours, maybe a few minutes, then.....blep, system shut down. No BSOD, nothing else, just blep, system off.

Change to higher wattage PS, no more problem.

Yo-

Past Administrator

That's a good suggestion, however that rig is already rocking a 1KW PSU, and no way I'm using more than 1/2 that on it right now...only a gtx 460 & 465 + the x6 CPU and a single HDD. Not even an optical drive or anything else. Maybe I need to up the CPU voltage in the BIOS???
    ROQS WUs have never worked right on this x6 rig and I can't figure out why. They rock double credit of even Prima right now, so it bugs me the x6 can't pull its weight around in credits right now.

Past Administrator

I know your not an AMD novice but did you install the AMD driver for Windows? And if so have you checked for an update?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

That's a good suggestion, however that rig is already rocking a 1KW PSU, and no way I'm using more than 1/2 that on it right now...only a gtx 460 & 465 + the x6 CPU and a single HDD. Not even an optical drive or anything else. Maybe I need to up the CPU voltage in the BIOS???
    ROQS WUs have never worked right on this x6 rig and I can't figure out why. They rock double credit of even Prima right now, so it bugs me the x6 can't pull its weight around in credits right now.
    Another thought along YoDude9999's lines. Is that PS one with multiple Rails? Could you have the load unevenly connected so you're simply taking down one specific rail? Any option to change the connections used for, say, one of the GPUs?

Silver Member

DrPoP, I forgot to mention that also this very symptom can also be related to GPUs overheating. I had a 460 that was overheating and causing the same problem. If you can positively rule out the PS as a potential problem, look at the GPU temps.

Also try Mumps idea of power re-distribution, just in case.

The PS and the newer GPUs will try to protect themselves. I think they (GPUs) are doing this by dropping the "Power Good" signal that goes back to the PS while the system is running. If, for any reason, this signal is lost, the PS shuts down without warning. PSs will also try to protect themselves from an overload condition in the same manner, but without dropping the "Power Good" signal as this protection is built into the PS itself.

Yo-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast