Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Boinc + Linux + GPU = pain

Gold Member

Re: Boinc + Linux + GPU = pain

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    boinc:123:
    is shown in that file, but NO video line

below is the message at the start up of BIONC.
    Wed 04 Jan 2012 03:43:07 PM EST No usable GPUs found
    Then I guess you should just uninstall them and ship them to me as they would sure be useable in my computers!

If I recall, for Linux, the CUDA SDK also has to be installed in addition to the drivers as the CUDA runtime was not included. That may have changed though. If not, there is a specific order in which the CUDA SDK and driver need to be installed. I don't recall which comes first, but you should be OK to start with the driver and then install the SDK. If BOINC doesn't recognize the GPU as usable, then reinstall the driver.

FYI, I'm not a Linux guru. Rather, I know just enough to be very, very dangerous.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Re: Boinc + Linux + GPU = pain

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    boinc:123:
    is shown in that file, but NO video line

below is the message at the start up of BIONC.
    Wed 04 Jan 2012 03:43:07 PM EST No usable GPUs found
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Then I guess you should just uninstall them and ship them to me as they would sure be useable in my computers!

If I recall, for Linux, the CUDA SDK also has to be installed in addition to the drivers as the CUDA runtime was not included. That may have changed though. If not, there is a specific order in which the CUDA SDK and driver need to be installed. I don't recall which comes first, but you should be OK to start with the driver and then install the SDK. If BOINC doesn't recognize the GPU as usable, then reinstall the driver.

FYI, I'm not a Linux guru. Rather, I know just enough to be very, very dangerous.
    @KP: The problem is there is no easy way to get Ubuntu or any Linux OS to crunch with a GPU. The easiest way to use a GPU is with Windows. If you are dead set on using Ubuntu you will need to do a lot of searching on the Ubuntu forums. Trigggl might have info that may help you. Send him a PM but note that even with the info it will still be a pain to get working. I would strongly suggest that you use Windows instead. Maybe post a request for a license key for WinXP Pro (Not WinXP Home). If your CPU supports 64 bit, ie. EMT64 then find/request a key for x64. You can use a utility called CPU-Z (Main page link) (Direct download link)to find out what your CPU supports. If someone can get you a key I can give a link to download the XP installer image that you can burn to CD-ROM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456