Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Summer sucks for crunching

valyn42

Re: Summer sucks for crunching

This past week in Oklahoma has been a bit on the warm side, and today was the last straw. 104 in the shade, heat index of 110. The room I'm in right now has 2 crunchers with a 3rd on the way from Newegg. House was 76, my room peaked at 87. The room never got really cool before(furthest run from the central ac and two outside walls and windows). Had to go to the Depot and get a window unit. It's nice and cool in here now, but we'll see what happens with the electric bill!

Quote Originally Posted by valyn42 View Post
    This past week in Oklahoma has been a bit on the warm side, and today was the last straw. 104 in the shade, heat index of 110. The room I'm in right now has 2 crunchers with a 3rd on the way from Newegg. House was 76, my room peaked at 87. The room never got really cool before(furthest run from the central ac and two outside walls and windows). Had to go to the Depot and get a window unit. It's nice and cool in here now, but we'll see what happens with the electric bill!
    Well we are over 100 here in this part of Louisiana. No rain. Losing all the crops. Farmers hurting.
    I have a desktop crunching, but found a neat way of also using the laptop to crunch. We have window units A/C in this rural house. I have the laptop on a desk in front of my study window unit. The A/C will be running anyway. So I blocked the laptop 2½ inches high (careful not to block fan intake vents underneath with the blocks.) With the laptop lid lifted up at angle, it is perfect to channel the cold airflow right under and through the computer. Walla! Crunch away. I do not process units on battery power, but do with the AC connection. Now I still do not process with the laptop 24/7 as I do with the desktop, but it really helps me gobble WUs.

PS: If you can believe it, this ole' 73 yr. old geezer actually painted the tin roof last week by myself with a 4" brush and the temp was over 100 up there. Looks good in the 1938 house and next week I start doing the exterior walls of the house. My electric bill this whole year with only five window A/C units is LESS than it was last two years in our former home that had central A/C. Same Electric Co. I think it is because I can avoid cooling unused rooms when I want to with window units.

Platinum Member

Hehe... My MegaBox was keeping my office quite hot despite having central air. I put an old oscillating fan on the ground outside the office blowing cold air from the living room in, and the temp dropped a good 6-8F.

Gold Member

Did not have my AC on and it got to over 90 degrees F in my computer room. Video cards all "underclocked" themselves. AC on full time now!!!

valyn42

Quote Originally Posted by bro-david View Post
    Well we are over 100 here in this part of Louisiana. No rain. Losing all the crops. Farmers hurting.
    I have a desktop crunching, but found a neat way of also using the laptop to crunch. We have window units A/C in this rural house. I have the laptop on a desk in front of my study window unit. The A/C will be running anyway. So I blocked the laptop 2½ inches high (careful not to block fan intake vents underneath with the blocks.) With the laptop lid lifted up at angle, it is perfect to channel the cold airflow right under and through the computer. Walla! Crunch away. I do not process units on battery power, but do with the AC connection. Now I still do not process with the laptop 24/7 as I do with the desktop, but it really helps me gobble WUs.

PS: If you can believe it, this ole' 73 yr. old geezer actually painted the tin roof last week by myself with a 4" brush and the temp was over 100 up there. Looks good in the 1938 house and next week I start doing the exterior walls of the house. My electric bill this whole year with only five window A/C units is LESS than it was last two years in our former home that had central A/C. Same Electric Co. I think it is because I can avoid cooling unused rooms when I want to with window units.
    I agree with you, the window units can be much more efficient when used properly. Turning on the central a/c to cool one room with two people and a television in it is not the best use of power! Now I can believe a 73 yr. ole geezer would get up on a hot tin roof to paint it, and since you are here posting about it, you must have taken care to keep yourself full of fluids!

Quote Originally Posted by valyn42 View Post
    I agree with you, the window units can be much more efficient when used properly. Turning on the central a/c to cool one room with two people and a television in it is not the best use of power! [COLOR="#B22222"]Now I can believe a 73 yr. ole geezer would get up on a hot tin roof to paint it, and since you are here posting about it, you must have taken care to keep yourself full of fluids!
    When I came down from the hot tin roof, my wife said I was full of a certain physiological fluid!

I start on the exterior walls tomorrow. No chance of rain till maybe Weds.-Thurs. My farmers here are really hurting. But I just remember Arizona and Joplin.

Diamond Member

Some Doors are like Riders On a Storm.

Past Administrator

Ack... Painting a roof is far from my idea of fun.

On a another note, I have had to shut down Seven-Of-Nine until I can work on the A/C venting in my room. Also had to move Thor to a different room. Had to do this because the morning after Michigan's first really warm day, I woke up to a room that had hit 91F. The combination of a 8800GT & 5830 in my desktop puts out way more heat then the 3 4850s did.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

And then there is the IDIOT who has been very happy because it is getting into the low 50s during the night. So open the window in the basement computer room, put a fan blowing out the door down the hallway, and run the GPU clocks on up. This morning I happened to notice the rest of the basement (where 3 other crunchers are located) was rather warm. It finally dawned on me that the cold air going down the hall (where the thermostat is located) was turning on the heat !!! DUH!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    It finally dawned on me that the cold air going down the hall (where the thermostat is located) was turning on the heat !!! DUH!
    Clearly, you can't be trusted with a real place. I'll swap you my place, where there are "heat," "cool," or "off" options, for your place in Texas. That's fair, isn't it?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast