Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandybridge build: need component suggestions

Diamond Member

Sandybridge build: need component suggestions

Okay, it's time to build a SB machine. It will replace one Q9650 and two Q6600s.

I am looking for suggestions on the components. Cost is not an issue, but I don't want to pay for flash, or features I will never use. This will be a dedicated cruncher. Here is what I am looking for:

• CPU: I7-2600K, $315
    • CPU heatsink: I may OC it mildly. But nothing extravagant. Less noise is a good thing.
    • MoBo: No sure what the future of the socket is, but I would like to future-proof this as much as possible. And I don't want the chipset to be the bottleneck. Also, It needs to fit two BIG GPUs. And I want it to support at least 32gb. I will be running it with 2gb/thread at first, and 8 DIMM slots would be better than 4, but not essential.
    • DIMMs: Again, not planning on doing much OC. I will start with at least 16gb. I think there is no point in using less than 4gb DIMMs right now. I want to make sure I am not slowing things down by not using all the channels. But it will depend on the MoBo.
    • SSD: I want it to be as fast as possible, without paying stupid money for the most cutting edge technology. Size should be large enough for a Win7 install, plus a VM or two, plus a dual boot install of Linux. So what is that? 125gb? 250gb? No idea.
    • Case: I don't have a problem spending money here. Again, I want to make sure it is future proof. Nice and roomy. Maybe even room for 3 or 4 big GPUs. Less noise is a good thing.
    • PSU: Efficiency is a big deal here. And it needs to be able to drive two BIG GPUs, so at least 4x of the 6+2 power connectors.
    • GPU: Don't worry about those for now. At first I will be re-using a 5870.
    • DVD: Don't worry about that either. I don't buy them for dedicated crunchers any more. I bought an external USB DVD drive, which I use on any of the crunchers as needed.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Re: Sandybridge build: need component suggestions

Case: HAF-X. 9 Expansion slots = good for many GPUs.
    Cooler: H60. Very effective and quiet.

Other stuff is Mobo dependent, and I'm not a Mobo expert, so I'll defer...

Silver Member

If your going to go with the 1155 For a motherboard I'm suggesting the BBM Its pricy but almost unlimited on the combo. How many times have you seen people complain about something in the way? with a HAF-X anything can fit. You can even run 3 cards with a 1 slot gap between them, or 3 cards with giant heat sinks.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

If you want a less expensive CPU Cooler Micro Center is selling the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for $24.99 in-store or online. And a second matching HS Fan, R4-BMBS-20PK-R0, can be had at Directron for $8.99 or TigerDirect for $9.99.
    Running two PWN fans together also requires a GELID CA-PWN Y-adapter which Directron has for $2.99.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    If your going to go with the 1155 For a motherboard I'm suggesting the BBM Its pricy but almost unlimited on the combo. How many times have you seen people complain about something in the way? with a HAF-X anything can fit. You can even run 3 cards with a 1 slot gap between them, or 3 cards with giant heat sinks.
    I don't know about that one... you don't think zombie67 would want more PCIe slots than that?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I don't know about that one... you don't think zombie67 would want more PCIe slots than that?
    How many parishables do you think he has thats not PCI-E? If I was a betting man I'ed bet everything he plugs in is PCI-E. so why have extra slots your never going to use?
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

Well, one needs to keep in mind that there isn't a single chipset on the market that can support all those slots simultaneously. I do not think the current ATX standard accommodates that. So EVGA's rationale for that many slots is simple, flexibility. To have a large number of options for different PCIe configurations not available with virtually any other MB.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Well, one needs to keep in mind that there isn't a single chipset on the market that can support all those slots simultaneously. I do not think the current ATX standard accommodates that. So EVGA's rationale for that many slots is simple, flexibility. To have a large number of options for different PCIe configurations not available with virtually any other MB.
    What he said +1

Past Administrator

What about a mobo like this: ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155
    Seems to me that you couldn't run more than 4 big dogs in a HAF-X anyway, not that I would even want to try...heat issues...so, i think something like this might be pretty future proof for $200.

Diamond Member

This is what has been recommended so far:

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast