Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh my aching wallet!

Past Administrator

Re: Oh my aching wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Administering my meager farm of 2 machines has been relatively simple so far and boincstats BAM is pretty effortless. All of my machines are going to be at my home, so that makes it easier on me. I plan on using a combination of vnc and ssh in a mix of windows and linux (cuz it's free!).

The point I was trying to make about being on vacation was that the only way I can add my machines to the competition would be to let a friend or family come in and turn my boxes on for that duration. I will be incommunicado with no connectivity to my home network at all.

I'm not setup yet to allow for 24/7 running due to the summer heat unfortunately. I was going to either try a separately AC'd room or the garage. Not sure yet. When I crunched in the past, I just left a bunch of machines at work where it was nice and cool. Doing this at home takes a lot more planning. It makes me feel like such a newb.
    OK. Well on Windows you could set up a few scheduled tasks to change which projects get crunched on or after system start up. If you do that in conjunction with your BOIS to start and stop your system if it has that feature. Then all a friend would have to do is boot up the system at your chosen time of day.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Are you corrupting our youth again Max!?!
    Proudly. Recruiting to the best subteam. We have cookies!

Changed... except for PG. I like the idea of getting badges, so I want to keep running the LLR stuff. Sharing the gpu with projects other than PG will lessen my credit output for the team, but I guess there is no way around that.
    I'm personally not a badge person, but others (like zombie67) are. They're like "within project Mega Milestones". Cool stuff.

3) Is there a list of which projects I should be running first, once I slim down my active project list? Perhaps some of the projects are at the end of their lifecycle and I should get on those first?
    Oh god. This is awfully complicated of a question, and can best be answered if you tell us what hardware you're crunching with...

If I were spingadus, what would I do?
    1. Send Maxwell the 590
    1. Crunch FreeHAL and WUProp always and without fail on every machine.
    2. Take the 590 and run PG up to 10M (shouldn't take much longer than a week). [This will get you to show up on the 2.5M, 5M, and 10M MM lists, as the minimum for those is one].
    3. Like CBS said earlier, don't crunch everything all at once. Pick one or two projects at a time, and go for them.
    4. CPU-wise, I've heard rumblings of Enigma and Cosmology being in scary positions of "maybe we'll close"
    5. Pick a MM threshold and crunch every CPU project to that level before you concentrate on anything else. I started off crunching to 10k, then moved on to 100k. If I were you, I'd start with crunching to 10k.
    6. Once you hit your 10M in PG, crunch Collatz to 1M (will get you to show up on the 1M list; minimum = 2 in that category).
    7. Give Maxwell some of your LHC credits...
    7. Take a credit-whore perspective for a bit, and run up some of the high-paying CPU projects to an awesome level. Aqua and Primaboinca are easy to run up pretty high at the moment.
    8. Start taking up the other CUDA projects to your goal level.
    9. etc...

Of course, ask questions along the way. The MM crew has pretty much been everywhere, so we'll probably be able to help you out...

Diamond Member

To heavy your answer.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK. Well on Windows you could set up a few scheduled tasks to change which projects get crunched on or after system start up. If you do that in conjunction with your BOIS to start and stop your system if it has that feature. Then all a friend would have to do is boot up the system at your chosen time of day.
    This.

It should all be ready to go. The only questionable variable will be the friend or family member that I ask to do it.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    To heavy your answer.

I think that guy misunderstood what 'rice rocket' meant.

Gold Member

I think that guy misunderstood what 'rice rocket' meant.
    Is that a guy???

Diamond Member

Lets run out of here that guy is going to fall

Gold Member

I'm personally not a badge person, but others (like zombie67) are. They're like "within project Mega Milestones". Cool stuff.
    This sounds like myself. I want it all!!!
    I'm going for MM, but I also want badges and stuff... and I want to help out the team for rank... and I want credits...and cookies are good

Oh god. This is awfully complicated of a question, and can best be answered if you tell us what hardware you're crunching with...
    I currently have 2 machines(planning on more).
    1) i7 920 soon to have a gtx 590
    2) core 2 duo soon to have a gtx 260

I plan on building a new machine by the end of summer to replace my old i7 and no longer new gtx 590. Too bad Keplar isn't coming soon.

After that I'm going to build as many pc's as I can from scraps and cheap parts.

If I were spingadus, what would I do?
    Buy me a winning lottery ticket.

1. Send Maxwell the 590
    Can I take a 5 year raincheck on that?

1. Crunch FreeHAL and WUProp always and without fail on every machine.
    2. Take the 590 and run PG up to 10M (shouldn't take much longer than a week). [This will get you to show up on the 2.5M, 5M, and 10M MM lists, as the minimum for those is one].
    3. Like CBS said earlier, don't crunch everything all at once. Pick one or two projects at a time, and go for them.
    4. CPU-wise, I've heard rumblings of Enigma and Cosmology being in scary positions of "maybe we'll close"
    5. Pick a MM threshold and crunch every CPU project to that level before you concentrate on anything else. I started off crunching to 10k, then moved on to 100k. If I were you, I'd start with crunching to 10k.
    6. Once you hit your 10M in PG, crunch Collatz to 1M (will get you to show up on the 1M list; minimum = 2 in that category).
    7. Give Maxwell some of your LHC credits...
    7. Take a credit-whore perspective for a bit, and run up some of the high-paying CPU projects to an awesome level. Aqua and Primaboinca are easy to run up pretty high at the moment.
    8. Start taking up the other CUDA projects to your goal level.
    9. etc...
    Will do, minus the LHC credits

PS. I stopped all new tasks except for PG and moo!(cuz i want to help), wg(badges) and the nci stuff.

/sping

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Is that a guy???
    The name is "Pat"

Gold Member

This sounds like myself. I want it all!!!
    I'm going for MM, but I also want badges and stuff... and I want to help out the team for rank... and I want credits...and cookies are good
    This is just my thoughts....If you want max credits from your current video cards (as zombie stated), keep them on PG for now. It will eventually get you the higher end MMs. Use your CPUs to get the lower end MMs. In your future rigs, get yourself some ATI/AMD cards to get more MMs in other projects. All credits acquired help the team! I hope the MM guys dont hate me for saying this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast