Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Oh my aching wallet!

Past Administrator

Re: Oh my aching wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Epic fail on my part.

I didn't consider that my case wasn't deep enough for my new 590. Talk about a let down.

I have 5 days before I go out of town, so I need to decide what i'm going to do. I can either get a larger case and transplant everything into it or get a new full system. Not running my 590 is giving me anxiety.

ugh.
    So what is blocking the card? HDD cage? Is it a structural part of the case?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

All is well!!!

Nothing some pliers and a sheet metal cutter couldn't handle.

I was butting up against the drive bays (mostly unused), which were soldered to the case. Not very eloquent, but I had to do it else I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.

Now to see what she can do. Take her out number 1...

Silver Member

Right on man! Lets see them numbers fly!
    It's always good to get another mega cruncher going. If we had a few more people as dedicated, well......I guess I needn't say it....

Yo-

Gold Member

So, I'm finishing up a few tasks for moo! and gpugrid before going solo on PG.

Interesting, Moo will actually use both gpus for a single task and about .91 cpu.

But when it switches to gpugrid, only 1 gpu is used and .35 cpu, while the second gpu goes idle. I would think it would attach to another task.

I suspended Moo and gpugrid and noticed that 2 PG tasks were each using a gpu as expected.

weird.

Silver Member

Hmm, As a thought, try suspending any/all your CPU tasks and see if that makes your second GPU kick in on gpugrid.

Yo-

Platinum Member

Interesting, Moo will actually use both gpus for a single task and about .91 cpu.

But when it switches to gpugrid, only 1 gpu is used and .35 cpu, while the second gpu goes idle. I would think it would attach to another task.

I suspended Moo and gpugrid and noticed that 2 PG tasks were each using a gpu as expected.
    Welcome to the world of the MM cruncher...

Moo and DNETC will both run only one task at a time, no matter now many GPUs you have. Currently, I have four GPUs in my system (2x5970) and run only 1 Moo task at a time (and one DNETC task when I was on that). And yeah, Moo CPU utilization is high - you'll probably have to dedicate 1 full core to it.

Yo hit upon an interesting issue I have yet to try - dedicating a full core to GPUGrid. I've heard it helps, but does NOT get GPU utilization up to near 100%. I have not tried that myself, though. I've also heard running 2 GPUGrid WUs/GPU helps (again, something I've not tried).

And when you say GPUGrid only runs on 1 GPU - does that mean you have 1 WU running on 1 GPU, and 1 WU not crunching while the other GPU sits idle? If so, that's not right. If you only have 1 GPUGrid WU downloaded, then what you described is normal.

Seriously, for the time being, crunch the crap out of PG. It's fun...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude9999 View Post
    Hmm, As a thought, try suspending any/all your CPU tasks and see if that makes your second GPU kick in on gpugrid.

Yo-
    Ok. Suspended all cpu tasks. Still no change.

Suspended everything but the running gpu task, then resumed a single PG task. That task grabbed the idle gpu. so, no PG and Gpugrid are running.

Bug? I'll keep watching for this.

Silver Member

Okay, so now you have me confused.....are you saying that GPUGrid is still only running on 1 GPU or both after suspending all other tasks? Or, are you saying that PG runs on both GPUs while GPUGrid does not after suspending any/all other tasks?

Max hit on something also...is the GPUGrid project giving you more than 1 WU to crunch?
    If you only have 1 in your que, then you can only crunch 1 at a time. If this is true, then maybe there's a way to, "fake out" the project into giving you more than WU 1 at a time, but I don't know about that yet.

I would personally like to know this info as I was planning on running 3 GPUGrids at once, on 1 box, but if I cannot do this, then they will fall by the way-side.

Yo-

Gold Member

Seems to be working now.

There was only a single gpugrid task to crunch. The problem was when boinc switched to the gpugrid task, it only used a single gpu while the other sat idle. I expected that other gpu to work on something else, PG for example.

Not sure what happened but now that same task (long wu) is working along side my PG task. So, both gpus are working now. Don't know what happened.

About the 'more than one wu at a time' question. How would I tell this? I just assumed 1 task/wu per line in the boinc manager.

Platinum Member

About the 'more than one wu at a time' question. How would I tell this? I just assumed 1 task/wu per line in the boinc manager.
    If your cache is set high enough, GPUgrid will let you download up to two WUs/GPU. So on the tasks list in BOINC manager, if you see another GPUgrid sitting there idle, ready to start, but one of your GPUs is sitting idle, then that's weird...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast