Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M$ on Windows 8: Developers, Bend Over and Take It.........

Past Administrator

M$ on Windows 8: Developers, Bend Over and Take It.........

Redmond lobs a Dirty Nuke at Windows Developers. Read Ars Technica's article Why Microsoft has made developers horrified about coding for Windows 8.

End of Days for M$?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Re: M$ on Windows 8: Developers, Bend Over and Take It.........

The stats program I use primarily recently (a couple years ago, really) decided to stop maintaining separate versions for each platform, and reprogrammed the entire thing in Java so they could only maintain one version. And it sucks. All the cool flashy stuff works well; it was the data management and cleaning that got screwed up. Copy and paste too much data in the new version? You will crash your OS. Copy and paste 10x as much data in the old version? Done. To this day, I still prefer the old version to any new version. The last good one was 15.0, and they are on at least 19.0 now...

And based on the history of every other MS OS is good (3.1 = awesome. 95 = terrible. 98 = rock solid. 2000/ME = vomit. XP = beautiful. Vista = Coyote Ugly. Win7 = pretty good, actually), who wants to bet that Windows 8 will suck more than Monica Lewinsky in the Oval Office (a timely reference)?

Silver Member

I was happy with 3.1, it worked well.
    95...the worst OS I've ever used due to crashing constantly.
    98...Not too bad really. They just never got the, "sleep/screen saver/power button" to work right.
    XP...the best so far IMHO.
    Vista...didn't like the transition, but overall acceptable. It has its quirks however.
    W7...they started going into the, "Protect the user from doing harm to themselves". NOT a good thing if you're a hardware/software guy.
    W8...I can only imagine how handcuffed the average user will really be, and them not knowing the difference.

If Linux ran windows apps. DAMN, MS would be gone already.....from my boxes anyway.
    Yo-

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude9999 View Post
    If Linux ran windows apps. DAMN, MS would be gone already.....from my boxes anyway.
    Do you mean this? Or do you have greater needs?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Do you mean this? Or do you have greater needs?
    I have seen this before a few years ago. I'll have to give it a good looking into. I may have greater needs as I do software development also, so there could be issues involved with that.

I may do some experimentation with a dual boot system that supports Linux. Of course that means I'll have to learn all about Linux from scratch, but what the hell, right?
    Yo-

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude9999 View Post
    I have seen this before a few years ago. I'll have to give it a good looking into. I may have greater needs as I do software development also, so there could be issues involved with that.

I may do some experimentation with a dual boot system that supports Linux. Of course that means I'll have to learn all about Linux from scratch, but what the hell, right?
    I might suggest going the VM route if you want/need to work in two environments. Supposedly, VBox makes it really easy...

Diamond Member

I might suggest going the VM route if you want/need to work in two environments. Supposedly, VBox makes it really easy...
    Really easy

Yes really easy

Oh man after wine for windows and beer for linux I am already drunk.

Silver Member

Hmm, looks very interesting. I'll check into it, thx again
    Yo-

Past Administrator

I have used VirtualBox on several machines. The learning curve is very low and short. Works great and and does so without gobbling up system resources. The only quirk I had was figuring out how to install Vbox Guest Additions. Sun's early instructions were confusing considering all they had to say was "Install Guest Additions onto operational Guest Machine via that machine's virtual CD-ROM."

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Hmm....This could lead to some interesting possibilities.

Linux > Wine > Windows Apps

From the VBox documentation, it looks as though one could create a cost free running environment for most any computer.
    DOS > VBox > Any current OS

The thing is, I don't know Linux at all, in fact I don't believe I've ever even see it running.
    I have a few hours experience with Ubuntu which was very easy to get the swing of, but because it wouldn't run WinApps directly,
    I wasn't able to use it for the applications I needed it to run. This has mainly to do with work related application that have to run code written in VB6 and VB2010.

I will keep all of this in mind, but because I don't want to bring down any of my boxes to do experimentation on, I suppose it'll have to wait for another build so I can start from scratch and see how things go. I'd be a little concerned about performance, or the loss of, but if this proved to be minimal, then I'd consider switching all my boxes over to avoid Windows completely as I really don't care for their, "activation", cost and more importantly, the direction they are going with every new release.
    Yo-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast