Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Credit recalibration at PG

Platinum Member

Re: Credit recalibration at PG

Crap crap, this is what brought me out of the masses of average crunchers up into sniffing area of the heavy weights. Either way, I am full tilt on it until it is backed down, then I will add on some MooWrapper.

Gold Member

It's not clear to me how the credits will eventually match up with other projects. I'm happy with my new 590 regardless and I do want to run non nvidia projects as well. So this helps with purchasing decisions...

I guess this means my next pc will have amd cards.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    It's not clear to me how the credits will eventually match up with other projects.
    When they take it down by the full 50% then a GTX 570 on PG will produce about the same credits (or slightly less) than a 5870 on Moo or DNETC.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    When they take it down by the full 50% then a GTX 570 on PG will produce about the same credits (or slightly less) than a 5870 on Moo or DNETC.
    Bryan,

I have a GTX 580 and two ATI 5870s in CF. They produce about the same. 650K on PG and 600K on Moo. Two 5870s cost the same as one GTX 580, with some 5870s to be had for sub $200.

Dan

Oh ya and won't this make it about twice as hard to catch SIC?
    Last edited by dan; 07-03-11 at 01:02 PM. Reason: And Then!!!

Silver Member

As far as catching sic goes it shouldn't make any difference. They are taking the hit too, just like everyone else is.
    Yo-

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude9999 View Post
    As far as catching sic goes it shouldn't make any difference. They are taking the hit too, just like everyone else is.
    I'm horrible at math problems, so help me out here. So lets say that Team X is 100 points ahead of Team Y. Team X makes 2 points a day and Team Y makes 4 points a day. In how many days will team Y catch Team X? If we half the points both teams make each day then how long will it take to catch up. I get 50 vs 100 which would be twice as long. What do you get? So in this case Sic just had their lead effectively doubled on PG.

Dan

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    I'm horrible at math problems, so help me out here. So lets say that Team X is 100 points ahead of Team Y. Team X makes 2 points a day and Team Y makes 4 points a day. In how many days will team Y catch Team X? If we half the points both teams make each day then how long will it take to catch up. I get 50 vs 100 which would be twice as long. What do you get? So in this case Sic just had their lead effectively doubled on PG.

Dan
    Yep.

(delta credits) / (delta rate of closure) = time to overtake

100 / (4-2) = 50 days

100 / (2-1) = 100 days

So the net effect is that their lead has doubled or another way to say it ... it will take twice as long to catch them.
    Last edited by Bryan; 07-04-11 at 09:50 AM.

Silver Member

Yes, it will take twice as long to catch them, but also remember, it's taking them twice as long to get things done too, so, it's not like they are going to be pulling away from us at an increased rate as the ratio still remains the same (which is what I meant by stating, "shouldn't make any difference").
    Last edited by YoDude9999; 07-05-11 at 04:08 AM.
    Yo-

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude9999 View Post
    Yes, it will take twice as long to catch them, but also remember, it's taking them twice as long to get things done too, so, it's not like they are going to be pulling away from us at an increased rate as the ratio still remains the same (which is what I meant by stating, "shouldn't make any difference").
    Says the "Under 40" guy.........

[Opinion] The "Recalibration" is a total Crock-O-____ !!! On PG's forum, one volunteer tester even states
    CPUs and GPUs are much faster than in the past and a credit-recalibration is normal in all projects of the boinc community.
    What a lame answer. I have never seen where PG computes credit based on time. I HAVE read PG Statements where they say their "Formula" was based on quantity of work done. The problem is as they state in this announcement that credit/wu will decrease BUT crunch time/wu will not. Sounds like a cave-in to "DA" and his Demigod mindset.[/Opinion]

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Says the "Under 40" guy.........

[Opinion] The "Recalibration" is a total Crock-O-____ !!! On PG's forum, one volunteer tester even states
    What a lame answer. I have never seen where PG computes credit based on time. I HAVE read PG Statements where they say their "Formula" was based on quantity of work done. The problem is as they state in this announcement that credit/wu will decrease BUT crunch time/wu will not. Sounds like a cave-in to "DA" and his Demigod mindset.[/Opinion]
    The only way to protest is with your feet as the saying goes, or GPU in this case. I'm gone after my 100M and may not participate in the challenges.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast