Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Credit recalibration at PG

Diamond Member

Re: Credit recalibration at PG

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Hmmm...well, I'm at 111Mil today; looks like I'm down to 1.2Mil PG credits per day now. Is there a 150Mil milestone, or does it jump from 100Mil to 200Mil? I suppose I'll probably be on it until they really drop the credits at least - just trying to get every bit in that I can for the team now. The more we can gain on LAF in overall points, the better in my book.
    They each increase my 2x or 2.5x:

10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, etc

(There are some 750 MMs listed, but I consider those false MMs.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I would STRONGLY suggest NOT participating in the PG Challenges. The only thing the admins will understand is diminished production on the project. In reality, I don't think many will actually pull off because even at 1/2 credit there is nowhere to park your Cuda that pays more.

I will pull off at 250M which was my goal anyway. Two weeks ago I pulled 1 card off to run GPUGrid and even with 3 it should have taken me 30 days to get there. A week later they start dropping credits so I put the card back on ... still gonna take 30 more days. Now here we are almost a week later and the new wu take 10% longer ... so still need 30 more days. That is gonna be the longest 30 days of my life
    I made 2 million for PG with PPS Sieve. Now the credits are low and time it takes is high. I used to crunch these in a few hours - under 8 - but now it takes about 20 or more for less credits. I was making 10K to 20K daily from PG PPS Sieve. Sorry, but for those loosing millions per day running GPU, but the loss of 10K to 18K per day with my CPU-only system is big news for me. I was making a million credits every 6 to 8 months, now that I have my quad. 2 Million out of 2.8 million of PG's credits were PPS Sieve. Now it will take me over a year to do a Million credits. I am at a total of 5.3 million and a few weeks ago it was going to take till the end of October to make 6M, but now it is the end of November. Before the credit/time switch, I was to have 6 million by now.

Also, what is going on with the credit estimates? The 1.5 hour estimates are run in less than half that time. Riesel is telling me it will take 45 hours, when a machine I host for the team is doing it with an estimate of 5-6 hours but the actual time is about 8 hours. Still 8 hours is no where near 45 hours. I usually do about 5-10% longer than the hosted machine, since I am doing a lot more than just crunching [like the dual core is doing]. So the estimates are totally messed up. I had one PG project [forget which one] gave me an estimate of over 800 hours, but ran in about 10 hours.

So, since PG is too wacky, what CPU-only project would be good to go to? Which PG project is now giving the best credits, since I want to make my 3 million goal for that one.

I have 6 non-PG project between 100K to 334K [low to high - SIMAP, DiRT, Collatz, PrimaBoinca, MW, DNETC], and FreeHal at 776K. The rest [22] are below 50K and 16 below 25K. I would like to run the higher credit ones. I run DiRT, PG, WUProp, and FreeHal right now. I want to get my 3M goal for PG, but with the current project/credit/time for PPS LLR [focus project] it will take about 70 days. So I would like to know which PG project is now the best daily credits [maybe best credits/crunch-time] to finish my goal before I loose my interest in PG, my once best credit maker.

I prefer to run two main project in my queue, instead of only PG or DiRT for all 4 cores on my system.

Any Help, or advice?
    Yes I know the last post for this thread was in July, but it was the one that looked the best fit for my question.

Platinum Member

Tim, I think that will depend on your GPU. MW credits are still decent, I have not run the others. Maybe look at MooWrapper. Some guys on the team are getting BONKERS numbers from that project. I think I have one little lappy pecking away at it from time to time because that is the only GPU project it can do.

Gold Member

DistrGen (http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/) has pretty good credit right now. I'm getting 27K per day from my I7-920 -- and that's only with 7 cores since I have the last core reserved for Moo Wrapper.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    Tim, I think that will depend on your GPU. MW credits are still decent, I have not run the others. Maybe look at MooWrapper. Some guys on the team are getting BONKERS numbers from that project. I think I have one little lappy pecking away at it from time to time because that is the only GPU project it can do.
    I do not have any GPU. I am doing everything on a CPU. So all I have is a quad AMD Phenom 9650 @ 2.3 GHz.

As for Moo, it does not work on my CPU system.

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    DistrGen (http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/) has pretty good credit right now. I'm getting 27K per day from my I7-920 -- and that's only with 7 cores since I have the last core reserved for Moo Wrapper.
    If I run only DiRT on the quad I get under 10K daily. Some days I get nothing, then I get a backlog of credits all at once. I earned 47K once, but that was 2.5+ days of reporting instead of a standard daily credits. Right now, I am earning about 4.7K daily now, with some PG running in the queue with DiRT.

To be honest, I did not know that the i7 was an 8 core system. Last I heard, the "i" series was only at 6 cores. I know that the AMD has a 6 core CPU [maybe 8 by now], but I do not know if my motherboard will support it.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    If I run only DiRT on the quad I get under 10K daily. Some days I get nothing, then I get a backlog of credits all at once. I earned 47K once, but that was 2.5+ days of reporting instead of a standard daily credits. Right now, I am earning about 4.7K daily now, with some PG running in the queue with DiRT.

To be honest, I did not know that the i7 was an 8 core system. Last I heard, the "i" series was only at 6 cores. I know that the AMD has a 6 core CPU [maybe 8 by now], but I do not know if my motherboard will support it.
    He is referring to threads not cores. For the Intel CPUs WITH Hyper Threading (HT) a quad core can run 8 threads simultaneously (4 physical cores and 4 "virtual" cores).

For Intel Core series based on Nehalem microarchitecture

Core i3 (Clarkdale): Dual Core w/ HT
    Core i3 (Arrandale): Mobile Dual Core w/ HT

Core i5 (Lynnfield): Quad Core w/o HT
    Core i5 (Clarkdale): Dual Core w/ HT
    Core i5 (Arrandale): Mobile Dual Core w/ HT

Core i7 (Bloomfield): Quad Core w/ HT Socket LGA 1366
    Core i7 (Lynnfield): Quad Core w/ HT Socket LGA 1156
    Core i7 (Clarksfield): Mobile Quad Core w/ HT Socket G1
    Core i7 (Arrandale): Mobile Dual Core w/ HT Socket G1

For Intel Core series based on Westmere microarchitecture

Core i7 (Gulftown): Hex Core w/ HT Socket LGA 1366

Wikipedia:
    List of Core i3 CPUs

List of Core i5 CPUs

List of Core i7 CPUs

Edit: Oooops Forgot this....

My Dirt stats for Monday and Tuesday

ID # ___ Tuesday __ Monday ___ Avg _____ CPU
    22006 --- 11,400 --- 16,000 --- 100,000 --- Phenom II 810 (Quad Core)
    22005 --- 28,200 --- 27,000 --- 052,829 --- Core i7 920
    23048 --- 33,000 --- 30,600 --- 033,943 --- Core i7 860
    22004 --- 01,800 --- 01,800 --- 006,286 --- P4 @2.8Ghz
    23049 --- 03,000 --- 02,400 --- 002,657 --- Pentium M @1.7Ghz
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 09-14-11 at 08:03 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    He is referring to threads not cores. For the Intel CPUs WITH Hyper Threading (HT) a quad core can run 8 threads simultaneously (4 physical cores and 4 "virtual" cores).
    Correct. Sorry about the confusion.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

krackedpress

"He is referring to threads not cores. For the Intel CPUs WITH Hyper Threading (HT) a quad core can run 8 threads simultaneously (4 physical cores and 4 "virtual" cores)."
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Correct. Sorry about the confusion.

So how do you access these "virtual cores" on an quad AMD Phenom 9650? I am running 4 cores, plus 2 FreeHal and 1 WUProp.

If I could run a few more "cores", it might help with my lack of daily credits I use to get from PG PPS Sieve. AP26 is gone, and now this one has cut the credits and take much more time to run for those credits. DiRT is not giving me much "per core" as PPS Sieve did.

But, if I could get my virtual cores to run DiRT, then it might work out in the long run.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    "He is referring to threads not cores. For the Intel CPUs WITH Hyper Threading (HT) a quad core can run 8 threads simultaneously (4 physical cores and 4 "virtual" cores)."

So how do you access these "virtual cores" on an quad AMD Phenom 9650? I am running 4 cores, plus 2 FreeHal and 1 WUProp.

If I could run a few more "cores", it might help with my lack of daily credits I use to get from PG PPS Sieve. AP26 is gone, and now this one has cut the credits and take much more time to run for those credits. DiRT is not giving me much "per core" as PPS Sieve did.

But, if I could get my virtual cores to run DiRT, then it might work out in the long run.
    You Cannot. The virtual core exists via Intel's HyperThreading technology which AMD does not have.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234