Thread: nivida card

Silver Member

nivida card

I am looking for a replacement for my gtx280 I just sold it. I have a gtx465 running but I was wondering if there was somwhere I could see all the different cards and there production value kinda like you guys have for the ATI stuff. My goal is to be able to put out close to 1 million on prime grid per day.

All your base are belong to us!

Gold Member

Re: nivida card

Before you make that purchase, you may wish to read this:

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...ibration-at-PG

Credits are being reduced.

Silver Member

well that just sucks.... i don't know what to do know. Back to the drawing board then.

All your base are belong to us!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by aux9o View Post
    well that just sucks.... i don't know what to do know. Back to the drawing board then.
    Tell me about it. I just bought a GTX 590.

Silver Member

I have two 5870s, they are putting out 650K on Moo each day. They run on ebay from $200 to $300 a day. I'd either go with a 6990 or 5970 used. I'm giving up on Nvidia after the change at PG.

Silver Member

It seems people think that if PG reduces their credit ratio per WU, that they shouldn't spend money on nvidia in an effort to try to keep up or overtake another team. You have to remember that these sorts of credit reductions affect everyone across the board. There will still be people running the hardware they already own on PG even if the credits go down some. Those that have invested in a GTX590 are not going to let that card go to waste and will either find a higher paying project to run them on, or stay with PG. In either case those cards are going to continue to produce credits for their owners. At some point, another project or perhaps even the PG project itself will institute a project or sub project that will likely grant the credits we are accustomed to and if not, so be it.

While it's true that you may spend your money on an ATI product that will give more credits over all, there are also the other things to consider like, how often is the project up, or, down? Does the project give out work units that fail on a regular basis? Is the project lifetime worth the investment? And of course, will switching from one product to another really get me the goal I'm looking for?

For me, as an instance, PG is going to lower their credit by one half over a period of time. While this is true, everyone is going to experience the credit withdrawal and people are going to scatter everywhere looking for another project to crunch that offers more credit at that point. Some will go to GPUGrid in the effort to try to keep their averages up. But, if that project falls short, they will return to PG simply because it pays better.

Now, if switching to GPUGrid gets ME more credits, hell yeah, I'm going over, but if not, I may as well stay where I am, or, find something else. This is based on the fact that I've already spent the money on the hardware I have and I'll use it to the best of my abilities. If I was looking to purchase new hardware, I can't say for sure that I would be putting my money into an ATI product until I'd done some research into the projects I intend to use that hardware on before making the purchase. The reasoning for this is because of the projects themselves. MW is always sporadic in nature. They will be fine for two or three weeks and then something bad happens, server problems, WU problems, just plain problems. Dnet seems to come and go at will, without notice and I've taken huge hits in credit output because of this. Moo, well, some seem to not have problems with it, but they too seem to have problems that somehow don't get resolved. I still see problems with moo reporting credits properly and I've taken huge hits from that also.

I'd rather put my trust into the projects that are consistent, have fewer problems, give WUs that run correctly and at least give notice that may be down, without suddenly just going offline.

Switching from one hardware platform to another, may look good, as far as gaining credits goes, but overall, is it really?.....Just my thoughts.
    Yo-

Administrator

Even at 1/2 credit PG will stay pay much better than any other Nvida project. My 4 GTX 570 were getting 2.8M a day on PG so they will drop to 1.4M. I ran GPUGrid on 1 card last week and it was getting between 200-250k per day depending on the wu mix. So 4 of them will probably average 900k per day. PG still wins by a large margin.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Even at 1/2 credit PG will stay pay much better than any other Nvida project. My 4 GTX 570 were getting 2.8M a day on PG so they will drop to 1.4M. I ran GPUGrid on 1 card last week and it was getting between 200-250k per day depending on the wu mix. So 4 of them will probably average 900k per day. PG still wins by a large margin.
    Beg to differ here.

I run a GTX 580 and two 5870's, they are equivalent in price and points. When PG goes to 1/2 credit, my two ATI's will still be getting the same amount of points as before, which will then be twice what PG will pay. Moo and DNET are roughly equivalent to PG when it comes to ATI, but will be the better choice in the near future when PG screws it's supporters!

The same thing happened with Moo. The cut their credits real low about 1/2 what they are now. DNET came back and within a couple days credits went back up. It's no skin off their nose how many credits they give us. If walk and they lose support then the credits will go back up.
    Last edited by dan; 07-05-11 at 08:30 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Beg to differ here.

I run a GTX 580 and two 5870's, they are equivalent in price and points. When PG goes to 1/2 credit, my two ATI's will still be getting the same amount of points as before, which will then be twice what PG will pay. Moo and DNET are roughly equivalent to PG when it comes to ATI, but will be the better choice in the near future when PG screws it's supporters!

The same thing happened with Moo. The cut their credits real low about 1/2 what they are now. DNET came back and within a couple days credits went back up. It's no skin off their nose how many credits they give us. If walk and they lose support then the credits will go back up.
    And I beg to differ, I said it will still pay higher than any other NVIDIA project.

I'm not happy with the change either, but PG will STILL be paying a lot more credits than the #2 Nvidia project GPUGrid.

Gold Member

PG at half credits. This makes Hulk angry. Hulk SMASH kitty!!! Anyone have napkin??