Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just started GPU's on Einstein

Question Just started GPU's on Einstein

Does anyone have some advice for proper setup of the NVIDIA video cards in my machine on Einstein@home?
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Past Administrator

Re: Just started GPU's on Einstein

I have not run the Einstein Cuda app but......

I do not believe the Cuda app is multi-threaded so you should see one wu for each GPU crunching it. For OverClocking your nVidia start at stock clocks and run a wu while checking GPU temp. When the wu is finished pause GPU work and up the GPU clock 20~25 Mhz and crunch another wu, again while monitoring GPU temp. Keep doing this until you reach the highest temp you are comfortable with or until you hit that cards OC limit. Whcih ever comes first. Then you are set to crunch to your hearts content.

Edit: I would suggest leaving the nVidia Mem Clocks at stock. Uping mem clock just adds a lot of heat without a significant increase in crunching performance.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 07-11-11 at 06:44 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Check the forum for an app_info. Several of the top computers show as "anonymous platform" and it appears they are running 3 wu at a time. A GTX 570 appears to get about 32k per day. This is a pure guess on my part!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Check the forum for an app_info. Several of the top computers show as "anonymous platform" and it appears they are running 3 wu at a time. A GTX 570 appears to get about 32k per day. This is a pure guess on my part!
    Yeah, what he said....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

I have yet to reach full utilization of my GPU's in the computer.

Over at PrimeGrid, I was routinely hitting 192F on my 3 GPU's, now I am lucky to hit 160F at Einstein.

Should I tweak my Boinc settings to dedicate more cpu resources to the management of these Einstein CUDA WU's?

As always, THANK YOU for you support!
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!

Administrator

Before you mess with your BOINC settings do this:

1. Use GPU-Z to monitor your GPU loading.
    2. Go into BOINC Projects and suspend all CPU projects.
    3. If the loading jumps up then the problem is with your CPU usage and if it doesn't then the problem is with the Einstein program.

I think this is why folks are running an app_info (anonymous platform) and crunching multiple wu at a time per card.

I have very bad luck with app_info...

I move my CPU's between sub-projects and projects often.

Would changing my App_info affect this?

Can you give me a link that will explain what exactly I need to modify in the XML file?

THANKS!

Administrator

The app_info only affects the individual project. It is installed in the Boinc/projects/einstein directory.

Do a search on the Einstein forum for app_info and if you find one then copy it to "Wordpad" and then save it to the Einstein project folder as a text file BUT put the extension .XML. So it will be app_info.xml ..... You can try Notepad which is preferable but sometimes when copying from a forum page it screws up the formatting.

Usually in that file you will find one of the commands that says something like <count>.5</count>
    That tells BOINC to have the GPU crunch 2 wu at a time.

Once that is in the project folder then STOP and RESTART BOINC. You will lose all the existing wu in your cache but it should download new ones and then start crunching 2 or if you use .33 instead of .5 it will start working on 3 of them.

Past Administrator

I am working on one right now. So far it keeps crapping out. Debugging is a PITA.

I'll post results soon.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

F$, I did a search on their forums for app_info and a couple actually showed up in the thread listings. I didn't look at them but it may give you a starting point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast