Thread: need a script for reporting completed w/u's

BLUWOLF

Red face need a script for reporting completed w/u's

about 4 months back i had to get a new hd. lost every thing on the old one.
    an i cant find the script we used to have completed w/u to report as soon as they get done.
    so i can get every thing ready for the next pg challenge or next race we get in.
    an i may need info on where i need to put it an where.

Diamond Member

Re: need a script for reporting completed w/u's

Quote Originally Posted by BLUWOLF View Post
    about 4 months back i had to get a new hd. lost every thing on the old one.
    an i cant find the script we used to have completed w/u to report as soon as they get done.
    so i can get every thing ready for the next pg challenge or next race we get in.
    an i may need info on where i need to put it an where.
    You don't need a script for that. Just turn on RRI in your cc_config.xml.

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
    </options>
    </cc_config>

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

BLUWOLF

thx zombie

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    You don't need a script for that. Just turn on RRI in your cc_config.xml.

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
    </options>
    </cc_config>

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration
    It's a good reminder and should probably be a sticky at the top of any project sub-forum that has challenges on a regular basis.

In fact, we could have a sticky devoted to various settings and scripts that are helpful for challenges.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

I used to think reporting results ASAP was the way to go. That was before I started the Collatz project. Now I prefer to set the cache very low and have a backup project setup in case the main project is down. Here's why:

Reporting ASAP is good for challenges, races, etc. if you need to make sure a WU gets reported before a deadline. However, it uses lots of bandwidth and dings the servers pretty good if the project has the option turned on to resend lost workunits. (e.g. You play with an app info and wipe out all your WUs by accident. Rather than having to wait for them to timeout, the server resends them the next time you update.) Every time you do an update, your host sends the info about every single WU you have on your machine to the server, not just the info about the one you recently completed. If the server allows a cache of 100 WUs, you increase the bandwidth 100 times and the server needs to check each of the 100 you have against the list it has for that host and compare them one at a time to see if there is a discrepancy. That's part of the reason that the Collatz project ignores updates if done less than every 4 minutes rather than the default which is 1 minute. When set to 1 minute, it quadruples the bandwidth and increases the number of simultaneous connections needed for Apache and MySQL which means more 4x more CPU and RAM are used. Instantaneous credit gratification reduces the number of users a project can support without increasing resources.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

BLUWOLF

Lightbulb Re: need a script for reporting completed w/u's

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    It's a good reminder and should probably be a sticky at the top of any project sub-forum that has challenges on a regular basis.

In fact, we could have a sticky devoted to various settings and scripts that are helpful for challenges.
    i think thats a good idea maybe some one could do that for this one, or due another one with all the settings an scripts we use for the challenges we do.

Past Admin

Thanks for the insight Slicker.

BLUWOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    I used to think reporting results ASAP was the way to go. That was before I started the Collatz project. Now I prefer to set the cache very low and have a backup project setup in case the main project is down. Here's why:

Reporting ASAP is good for challenges, races, etc. if you need to make sure a WU gets reported before a deadline. However, it uses lots of bandwidth and dings the servers pretty good if the project has the option turned on to resend lost workunits. (e.g. You play with an app info and wipe out all your WUs by accident. Rather than having to wait for them to timeout, the server resends them the next time you update.) Every time you do an update, your host sends the info about every single WU you have on your machine to the server, not just the info about the one you recently completed. If the server allows a cache of 100 WUs, you increase the bandwidth 100 times and the server needs to check each of the 100 you have against the list it has for that host and compare them one at a time to see if there is a discrepancy. That's part of the reason that the Collatz project ignores updates if done less than every 4 minutes rather than the default which is 1 minute. When set to 1 minute, it quadruples the bandwidth and increases the number of simultaneous connections needed for Apache and MySQL which means more 4x more CPU and RAM are used. Instantaneous credit gratification reduces the number of users a project can support without increasing resources.
    i due keep a very low cache setting, i think its set too .09. but with my 3x 710 an my gts 250 i don't crunch as fast as some ppl do. so with this script it just help me get them in faster than waitting the .05 that is set to update. im not to much on oc'ing things or playing around on with scripts an such. my knowlage in those areas isn't that great, but i do know how to build my own rig's.
    i've already got my next rig planned it's going to have a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x, an 2 GTX 550ti's but i'll need help from one of you to tell me how to set the second one up an where to get the dummy plug for it.

Platinum Member

If you are going to use Nvidia cards, you don't need the dummy plug, but if for some reason you ever do need one, YoDude9999 makes them. Also your machine should recognize both cards. If not let us know, there are some settings you can play with.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

BLUWOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    If you are going to use Nvidia cards, you don't need the dummy plug, but if for some reason you ever do need one, YoDude9999 makes them. Also your machine should recognize both cards. If not let us know, there are some settings you can play with.
    ok thx for the info didn't know if need one or not to make the second one to work with out a monitor hooked to it. the mother board im going to use has 2 pcie slots, an i wasn't going to run in sli mode.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128485
    this is the mb im going to use.