Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about to hit the 5 Million mark - could use a better credit project though

krackedpress

about to hit the 5 Million mark - could use a better credit project though

In a few days, I should be hitting the 5,000,000 credit mark.

I am doing this by running mostly the PrimeGrid PPS-Sieve sub-project.

I get between 3K and 16K daily with that project, depending on what else I run along side of PG.
    I am at 2,668,011 PG credits.

What I would like to know is - Is there a project/sub-project out there that would give me a better daily RAC than what I am running now? I would like to be able to reach these million marks faster than I am now. I only have a 4 core AMD Phenom X4 9650 processor and Ubuntu OS. I do not have any GPU cards right now. I had things like new printer, new 2TB internal drive, new/used air conditioner for the heat wave we have now, etc., etc., for my spare money each month.

One day I would like to but a GPU again, but for now I really need to find a better RAC project than what I am crunching now.

With this heat wave, and the too-small air conditioner I bought last since my old one died during the heat wave and I was luck to find this one, my place is normally 84 to 89 degrees, when outside we are having record heat including historic record levels along with daily record levels. 84 to 89 degrees is better than the 103 and 104 we have outside. New York State [south central part of the state] almost never sees temps above 95 to 98 degrees during the worst heat of the summer. That would normally be next month, not July. I do not want to think about that.

So I have to be careful that my computer does not over heat. My 8 inch fan on the side of the case died a month ago, but it leaves a big "hole" on the side for air flow to help the board to keep cooler, but the fan on the power is pushing hotter air out of it that most days.

Gold Member

Re: about to hit the 5 Million mark - could use a better credit project though

I created an awesome case fan. I just removed the side of the case and replaced it with a 20" box fan. It works awesome if you have the space.

You don't mention whether you have a 32 or 64 bit operating system. PG PPS, Aqua, and a few others pay much better for 64-bit apps so it might be worth a software upgrade if you aren't already running x64. Since PG is slowly lowering their credit and since AQUA has announced they are done with the new credit scheme and are going back to their original credit system, you might want to check out AQUA again.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    I created an awesome case fan. I just removed the side of the case and replaced it with a 20" box fan. It works awesome if you have the space.

You don't mention whether you have a 32 or 64 bit operating system. PG PPS, Aqua, and a few others pay much better for 64-bit apps so it might be worth a software upgrade if you aren't already running x64. Since PG is slowly lowering their credit and since AQUA has announced they are done with the new credit scheme and are going back to their original credit system, you might want to check out AQUA again.
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit to the quad core.

For some reason Aqua and my system do not like each other. Every time I tried it, I had problems. Never got one to run.

I will retry it, but PG PPS sieve is the one I run mostly, with some of the "medical research" added in from time to time right now.

Right now, the desktop in on the desktop. Would be a problem to find a spot lower down and still have access to the DVD and USB areas on the front of the case. Due to the record heat and the problems with the undersized air conditioner [only one I could get during this heat wave] my place has been in the mid to upper 80's during the day, and the nights are not going much below 75. The outside temps are above 100 for the past few days - historical record heat. Hopefully be will get back to normal weather soon. I can keep the place between 10 to 15 degrees lower than the outside, but my desktop, the SETI team dual core, and the refridge all pump heat into the living space. Hot and humid is what we have, but no real rain for 3 weeks.

All my fans are used to keep me and the cat cool. Once day I will replace the 8 inch fan that was mounted on the side of the case. It seems not to push too much air, before it dies. Works for 1 to 2 minutes before it go wobbly and stops. I think the cost about $12 plus shipping. Odd size actually.

krackedpress

Since PG is slowly lowering their credit and since AQUA has announced they are done with the new credit scheme and are going back to their original credit system, you might want to check out AQUA again.
    Question:

116 credits for 70 minutes +/- per WU.
    on the AMD Phenom 9650 X4 running at 2.3 GHz max.

This is the first time I had any Aqua running that finished.
    It is running 2 cores right now. Two WUs run and validated and two running now.

I am running the PG in the queue, but after they run, then I will see Aqua run on all 4 cores for a day to two to see how it goes.

Gold Member

AQUA originally had two sets of WUs, those that ran on single or dual cores and those that required quad cores or better. Make a note of the type that are working for you and make sure to select those (and omit the ones that don't) in your preferences. If you have some that always fail, I'd make sure you don't check the option to send tasks from others if none are available as well.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

ROQS wu's need a min of 4 cores or threads. Fokkers only need a min of two if memory serves.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

krackedpress

AQUA originally had two sets of WUs, those that ran on single or dual cores and those that required quad cores or better. Make a note of the type that are working for you and make sure to select those (and omit the ones that don't) in your preferences. If you have some that always fail, I'd make sure you don't check the option to send tasks from others if none are available as well.

Well Aqua must be down.
    Since the first 2 were uploaded, the other 2 have been stuck in transferring "hell" saying that the site might be down.

It looked to me that Aqua would not allow me to choose anything. I clicked onto to the link and got a page that would not lead me to any preferences on the type of WUs I can get. I thought Aqua would be 24+ hours not 70+ minutes to run, the way it worked the last time I tried it.

So I am not even asking for more WUs. If the site goes down right after I upload my first set of WUs, I will stay away from it for a while.

Past Admin

You could look into Primaboinca with a fixed credit of 200 per WU. Also Spinhenge has recently upped their credit to 200 per WU, but runtimes is a bit longer than PB from what I can tell.

(have been running them both in this last week)

On PB your quad should do around 8K per day...Spinhenge probably 6-7K

Crazybob has a AMD Quad 9500 running on PB with a RAC of 7K+..You could check his numbers:

http://www.primaboinca.com/show_host...hp?hostid=6591
    Last edited by Beerdrinker; 07-24-11 at 11:39 PM.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    You could look into Primaboinca with a fixed credit of 200 per WU. Also Spinhenge has recently upped their credit to 200 per WU, but runtimes is a bit longer than PB from what I can tell.
    These are two very good suggestions!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

You should just run SETI@home!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast