Thread: Test4Theory, what am I not doing?

Gold Member

Test4Theory, what am I not doing?

Besides installing BOINC and VirtualBox, what do I need to do to complete a task for Test4Theory? Do I need to create the virtual machine or does the project supply that? Do I have to have VirtualBox started before downloading tasks, or does the wrapper do that?

So far, I've only gotten 20 second computation errors. I'm assuming there's something I'm failing to do. This smells like a configuration problem. What am I missing?
    6r39 7r199

Diamond Member

Re: Test4Theory, what am I not doing?

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post

Besides installing BOINC and VirtualBox, what do I need to do to complete a task for Test4Theory? Do I need to create the virtual machine or does the project supply that? Do I have to have VirtualBox started before downloading tasks, or does the wrapper do that?

So far, I've only gotten 20 second computation errors. I'm assuming there's something I'm failing to do. This smells like a configuration problem. What am I missing?
    The vm will d/l from the project. Boinc will take care of starting vbox, and the vm. Everything is automatic.

Did you follow this?

http://boinc01.cern.ch/boinc-gnu-linux
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Test4Theory finally came out with a native 64-bit Linux app. Seems to be working well. I'm half-way through my first task.
    6r39 7r199

Advisor - Stateside Division

hmm, it might be native 64bit but it fails for me on a dependency of libz.so.1 which is installed. Had to install the 32bit version of zlib to get this working (CentOS 6).

*EDIT* even now it still gives a computaion error I'll debug a bit more.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    hmm, it might be native 64bit but it fails for me on a dependency of libz.so.1 which is installed. Had to install the 32bit version of zlib to get this working (CentOS 6).

*EDIT* even now it still gives a computaion error I'll debug a bit more.
    What does the stderr file say? Is it perhaps a permission problem? I had to add myself to the vboxusers group and then log out of the users desktop and back in. I suspect it won't work as user boinc unless user boinc has a login and desktop. It won't run headless, yet.
    6r39 7r199

Advisor - Stateside Division

I'm running it as root :blush: in this case so it can't be permissions. I suspect the virtualbox instance is just not starting up correctly under CentOS. Will play with it some more later today and see if I can find anything. But then again this is headless, so that's probably it - I haven't seen anything to say it doesn't run headless though ? Can you point me in that direction?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I'm running it as root :blush: in this case so it can't be permissions. I suspect the virtualbox instance is just not starting up correctly under CentOS. Will play with it some more later today and see if I can find anything. But then again this is headless, so that's probably it - I haven't seen anything to say it doesn't run headless though ? Can you point me in that direction?
    On the Test4Theory message board.
    6r39 7r199