Thread: Would it be safe to assume...

Past Admin

Would it be safe to assume...

Hey there team...

My oldest daughter is starting back in school in about a week. This is her last year of High School...Since last year there has been a demand from the school that students bring their own laptop, since the school canīt afford to buy 100 laptops...

So I did some trading during this summer...

That trading ended up with be being able to give her a second hand laptop. Not a ligthning fast one...But a decent laptop. I believe it has a T5900 dual-core CPU, and the battery is lasting around 1.5 hour fully charged.

Now - to the real question:

Since I canīt control the laptop (she attends school around 50 miles away) I do not want to have it doing projects on the CPU.....But then it came to me...!!

Itīs safe to assume that NON-CPU projects will run just fine?? Will that affect normal use? And how about battery time? (forgive me - never crunched on a laptop before..) That little sucker could give the team som nice credit this next year..

Her school has Wi-Fi that they are free to use..

Edit: OS is Win 7 x64, and the laptop has 4Gigs DDR2
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Re: Would it be safe to assume...

That should work as long as you run FreeHal alongside WUProp. WUProp by itself does not give credit.

Also consider trying Quake-Catcher Network (QCN@Home). If QCN can detect the lappies built-in accelerometer then you'll have more easy credits.

Edit: Even NI projects will run down the battery faster but by how much I'm not sure. Hopefully the school will provide AC power for the students since most laptops won't last a full day of school on battery alone.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 08-09-11 at 12:06 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Well, if she'll be leaving it on most of the time she has it plugged in, why not configure it as follows:

a) Don't crunch while on battery
    b) Don't crunch while computer active

That way you can have it crunching as long as it's on but not in use, or putting her battery life at risk.

Platinum Member

There are battery powered back-up supplies that you can get, or an inverter to charge it in her car. Just a thought.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    There are battery powered back-up supplies that you can get, or an inverter to charge it in her car. Just a thought.
    Sheīs 16....You canīt have drivers license before the day you turn 18 here in Denmark.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Sheīs 16....You canīt have drivers license before the day you turn 18 here in Denmark.
    Wow...that's rough!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Wow...that's rough!
    That's not rough. That's a good idea. But that's coming from a dad of a 17 year old "demanding" a car I have no money for.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NJCaNS View Post
    That's not rough. That's a good idea. But that's coming from a dad of a 17 year old "demanding" a car I have no money for.
    Haha! Well, to be fair...we (my brothers and I) all had to buy our own cars and pay for our own insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc. So...yeah, if the 16 Y.O. has no income, then driving may not be such a good idea. If he/she has income, well...I say more power to 'em! Good ole' American ingenuity might come to the surface, and if they reaaaaaaaly want wheels....
    (Yeah, I know...just wait 8 more years when Kat is there, and I'll be calling you up *groan*!)