Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATI HD 4200 Where to put it?

Platinum Member

Question ATI HD 4200 Where to put it?

I am lucky enough to bring on a brand new little Toshiba lappy. It has an ATi HD4200 GPU, can anyone tell me which projects will it get GPU work as I am not getting any from PG or MW so far.

Platinum Member

Re: ATI HD 4200 Where to put it?

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    I am lucky enough to bring on a brand new little Toshiba lappy. It has an ATi HD4200 GPU, can anyone tell me which projects will it get GPU work as I am not getting any from PG or MW so far.

Well, I have a lappy with an integrated Radeon 3430 and it's been running Collatz fine. I didn't run into anything else that it ran, but that was long ago and some of the options available now didn't exist back then.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Well, I have a lappy with an integrated Radeon 3430 and it's been running Collatz fine. I didn't run into anything else that it ran, but that was long ago and some of the options available now didn't exist back then.
    Try moo!. Supposedly the best ATI credits.

Platinum Member

Thanks for the input guys. PG was erroring out, and MW said it does not have the right computations. Either way, it is now on Moo. I wanted to put it on a project I have credits in already.

Past Administrator

Moo! Wrapper is definitely going to be the highest payout for it. What kind of CPU does it have? Might have to play with the amount of CPU project you're crunching on it to get the max credits out of Moo.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Moo! Wrapper is definitely going to be the highest payout for it. What kind of CPU does it have? Might have to play with the amount of CPU project you're crunching on it to get the max credits out of Moo.
    The CPU is: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) II P360 Dual-Core Processor [Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3].

Once it has cleared out the initial WU's from attaching to my selected projects, I have it set to our main 2 CPU projects at the moment and a little Leiden and ABC. It rolled very quickly through it's first ABC WU, but maybe I should keep that crunching on projects where we need it more.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by denim View Post
    The CPU is: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) II P360 Dual-Core Processor [Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3].

Once it has cleared out the initial WU's from attaching to my selected projects, I have it set to our main 2 CPU projects at the moment and a little Leiden and ABC. It rolled very quickly through it's first ABC WU, but maybe I should keep that crunching on projects where we need it more.
    ABC is a project where the WU's vary greatly in the amount of time they take to calculate. From minutes to days. I stopped crunching when their progress indicator exceeded 100%. Looks like they've capped it at 100% now, so all the work they're doing now is above and beyond their initial stated goal for the project. They also released an updated app a while ago, to support processing the larger numbers they were getting in to. That App was a lot less efficient than the old one, which translated to a huge drop in CS/second. Another reason to have moved away.

IIRC, when I tried running Moo! on my 3430, it killed the interactive performance of the system. Seeing as it's my work laptop, I couldn't have that. Another reason it's running Collatz.

Platinum Member

Ok, I will NNW ABC then for the little lappy and stay on my usuals for now.

Past Admin

I'm looking at add a box for the push that has a HD 4200. I'm not having any luck running anything, Collatz, Moo, etc. It's not seeing the gpu. It is an integrated gpu but says it's an HD 4200.
    I check the settings in BM to use the gpu. When I check Bam it dose not have the check box to allow AMD work only cpu work. Any suggestions?

Past Administrator

Mike, my first guess would be old drivers that don't have the right SDK package or no Open CL support. If it's and ATI GPU, then Moo! and especially Collatz should run on it. The only problem I can think of is if it doesn't have enough video RAM to crunch. You can check that possibility by going into the Event Log in BOINC, and seeing if it's disabling the GPU or whatever it's saying after it searches for what GPU is installed. It will be close to the top of the log when you first start up BOINC and next to where it lists your CPU specs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast