Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maxwell Spanker vs. Silver Hammer vs. Anniliatrix, pt. 1

Platinum Member

Re: Maxwell Spanker vs. Silver Hammer vs. Anniliatrix, pt. 1

Author: Maxwell [ Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:01 pm ]
    Post subject: Re: Maxwell Spanker vs. Silver Hammer vs. Annihilatrix
    STMahlberg wrote:
    I was told by JPM that I needed to build a computer system that was able to outperform in credits per day against what either of you two were building.

That's your first problem. JPM has this ridiculous notion in his head that he needs to outproduce me with a single box. Why is he putting that constraint on himself? No clue. None of the big boys around here have single boxes. I don't either. I have my work machines that happen to crunch. I'm sorry for that...
    STMahlberg wrote:
    I felt that your computer knowledge was unsurpassed.

You are clearly referring only to JPM here. I give a very poor F.U.C.K.; on the rare occasions when it is adequate, I'm usually repeating something the J-Crew or others have stated.
    STMahlberg wrote:
    I looked over the specs and benchmarks of the i7 860 and the GTS 240; I have to admit that I would have responded to this post sooner; however, I was laughing too hard.

Part of the deal with the free money is that I had to go through Dell. Would I have done this if it were for myself alone? No. But my hands were tied. I will now invite you to provide Free Unsolicited Computer Knowledge to yourself.
    STMahlberg wrote:
    I will admit that your grammatical ejaculations have been amusing but they will not save you.

I really want to argue this, but that is too awesome to do so. Well played, sir.
    STMahlberg wrote:
    I don’t believe that you can gaze upon its awesomeness and comprehend.

Funny, I said the exact same phrase to your mom last night! :wink: :mrgreen:
    Author: John P. Myers [ Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:04 pm ]
    @STM: Yes, here is the part where i will clarify that your original idea of building a single machine to beat Maxwell is exactly what i am doing. With these 4 new boxes he is getting, i believe it will bring his total number of crunchers to 7. Correct me if i'm wrong there. I am, in fact, attempting to build a single computer that will out-crunch all of Maxwell's computers using a motherboard with only 1 PCIe x16 slot. To me, using multiple boxes to beat Maxwell is too easy. There's no challenge there. Anyone could do that. The only way to keep it interesting, at least for me, is to do it in only 1 box. A mini-tower box with a micro ATX motherboard. So i beg of you to go back to your original plans, because they were the right ones Besides, you save alot of money on electricity doing it all in 1 box.
    Author: John P. Myers [ Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 pm ]
    To append:

Yes, anyone with common sense and a firm grasp of the English language knows that the term "Silver Hammer" is singular. Don't be too hard on Maxwell for his lack of education. Who was it that said all men were created equal? It's just not true. Some people were meant to drop fries at McDonald's. It's all in the genes.

Yesterday, Maxwell changed the name to "Silver Hammer of Thor". Still a singular term. He's not making any progress. If he knew what he was talking about, he'd have simply said "Mjöllnir " instead of typing all those extra words. Tsk tsk

After Maxwell receives his new machines, i have no doubt he'll be looking for a pity F.U.C.K. I, for one, won't give him D.I.C.K. (Detailed Informative Computer Knowledge). Not to Image :stirthepot: or Image :beatadeadhorse: but Maxwell will lose this battle. Hopefully twice

@Fire$torm: Yes, you can steal those too
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:38 pm ]
    Maxwell wrote:
    STMahlberg wrote:

You said a similar thing about my mother the other night. I'm not sure what your fascination is with geriatric women, but I must say that dad was pretty darn excited when he heard you had volunteered for this. He asked if you needed a ride from the airport or, better yet, if he should just buy mom a one way ticket to your place. I told him that I wasn't exactly sure how long you were signing up for, but he's been giddy all day just the same.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 pm ]
    John Chastain wrote:
    Maxwell wrote:
    STMahlberg wrote:

You said a similar thing about my mother the other night. I'm not sure what your fascination is with geriatric women, but I must say that dad was pretty darn excited when he heard you had volunteered for this. He asked if you needed a ride from the airport or, better yet, if he should just buy mom a one way ticket to your place. I told him that I wasn't exactly sure how long you were signing up for, but he's been giddy all day just the same.

ROFLMAO
    Author: Maxwell [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 am ]
    John Chastain wrote:
    Maxwell wrote:
    STMahlberg wrote:

I've found that many older women like a little Detailed Informative Computer Knowledge in their life. Especially if their husbands are unable to provide it. At the very least, some good Free Unsolicited Computer Knowledge is a bonus for any woman out there... :mrgreen:

@JPM: Though you may have a firm grasp of your Detailed Informative Computer Knowledge, you seem to fail to grasp the subtleties of plurality. My collection (singular) of "your mom" jokes is comprised of many jokes (plural). Slcker's farm (singular) is comprised of many computers (plural). The Holy Trinity (singular) is comprised of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost (collectively, plural). In much the same vein, the Silver Hammer (singular) refers to a collection (singular) of many computers (plural) designed to kick the Annihilatrix/Spanker Set (A.S.S.; collectively, plural).

@STM: The best you can come up with is seven letters? At least discuss how your Crunching-Oriented Computer Knowledge compares to JPM's Detailed Informative Computer Knowledge...
    Author: Fire$torm [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:10 am ]
    Fire$torm knocks on STM's Door. "Howdy nawbir. Howz bout you let me burrow them there deep wadders of yirs?"
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:32 am ]
    I've been thinking recently that I need to change my handle to something a little less serious but I have been scratching my head a bit about what to use and how far to push it. After all the innuendo in this thread, I think I have my answer. Stay tuned and know, its all your fault!

Platinum Member

Author: DrPop [SETI.USA] [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:50 am ]
    Just a little note on the (side topic) back there a ways. ATI tools is free, and it will save your core & mem speeds, voltage & fan speed all in a setting it applies as soon as the computer is booted.

Hope that helps...Because I can't shovel the manure fast enough to get my head outta here! :mrgreen:
    Author: Beerdrinker [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:52 am ]
    It have been very fun so far reading up on all the plans....But my little brain can´t take that much info....So....Has anyone of these actually been built yet?? Cause me thinks that these 3 monsters will bring at least 1 Mill+ to the team´ s overall RAC!!!
    Author: John P. Myers [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:36 am ]
    Maxwell wrote:
    At least discuss how your Crunching-Oriented Computer Knowledge compares to JPM's Detailed Informative Computer Knowledge...

Sounds to me like someone has Permanently Existing Non-Intensive System envy. Anyhow, good morning to you! Last night while i was dreaming of victory, you guys were probably dreaming of sucking my Welch's And Nu-Grape. By the way, i heard your mom's so poor she goes to KFC to lick other people's fingers.

@Beer: Maxwell is reaching his climax as soon as his 4 new boxes arrive. Mine has been started on. STM is a Procrastinating Unmotivated Sad-Sack Yellowbelly

...man these posts get exponentially more difficult every time...just like keeping your mom's hands off of my Spaghetti, Ham, And Fudge Truffles
    Author: Maxwell [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:49 am ]
    @The-Crucher-Formerly-Known-as-JC: Brialliant name. I saw that before I saw your post in this thread, and was wondering if that was intentional...

@Beer, correcting JPM: I planned out a build earlier in this thread, and will probably return to it shortly...

And yeah, I agree with JPM: I read a post, start laughing, then walk away while I plan out the acronyms and proper subtleties (or lack thereof) for my response. Fun times... :mrgreen:
    Author: STMahlberg [ Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm ]
    John P. Myers wrote:
    Maxwell wrote:
    At least discuss how your Crunching-Oriented Computer Knowledge compares to JPM's Detailed Informative Computer Knowledge...

Sounds to me like someone has Permanently Existing Non-Intensive System envy. Anyhow, good morning to you! Last night while i was dreaming of victory, you guys were probably dreaming of sucking my Welch's And Nu-Grape. By the way, i heard your mom's so poor she goes to KFC to lick other people's fingers.

@Beer: Maxwell is reaching his climax as soon as his 4 new boxes arrive. Mine has been started on. STM is a Procrastinating Unmotivated Sad-Sack Yellowbelly

...man these posts get exponentially more difficult every time...just like keeping your mom's hands off of my Spaghetti, Ham, And Fudge Truffles

I must say I am quite surprised at all of you...with all of this talk about Detailed Informative Computer Knowledge, Crunching-Oriented Computer Knowledge, Permanently Existing Non-Intensive System envy and then the whole weird Spaghetti, Ham, And Fudge Truffles... I'm starting to think that you all are just a bunch of Fallaciously Aggressive GeekS. :mrgreen:

Damn... took me too long to think of that. LOL
    Author: John P. Myers [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:01 am ]
    @Maxwell & Fire$torm: Your new computer case without any expansion slot problems
    I recommend this case because you won't have any problems with putting a dual-width GPU in the 7th and the drive cage won't be in the way in the first slot. I recommend it to Fire$torm because it comes with 3 180mm intake fans in the bottom of the case, which we all know is his favorite size Also the PSU air intake is much more open than it is on most cases and overall, it's a pretty cool design. Not something you see everyday.
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:25 am ]
    John P. Myers wrote:
    @Maxwell & Fire$torm: Your new computer case without any expansion slot problems
    I recommend this case because you won't have any problems with putting a dual-width GPU in the 7th and the drive cage won't be in the way in the first slot. I recommend it to Fire$torm because it comes with 3 180mm intake fans in the bottom of the case, which we all know is his favorite size Also the PSU air intake is much more open than it is on most cases and overall, it's a pretty cool design. Not something you see everyday.

I am rack mounting my entire farm. Know of anything with similar characteristics that fits in a rack?
    Author: John P. Myers [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:51 am ]
    Vidi Vici Veni wrote:
    John P. Myers wrote:

I am rack mounting my entire farm. Know of anything with similar characteristics that fits in a rack?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811165184 ?
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:01 am ]
    John P. Myers wrote:
    Vidi Vici Veni wrote:
    John P. Myers wrote:

Don't see how that would support a dual-wide GPU in the 7th slot, but I must admit I find the triple fan assembly to be quite interesting.
    Author: John P. Myers [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:13 am ]
    Vidi Vici Veni wrote:
    John P. Myers wrote:
    Vidi Vici Veni wrote:
    John P. Myers wrote:

Don't see how that would support a dual-wide GPU in the 7th slot, but I must admit I find the triple fan assembly to be quite interesting.

Unfortunately, all 53 of the 4U racks they have are all 7 slot cases :/ Since the PSU pretty much has to be at the back of the case, there's really no room for the 8th slot.
    Author: DrBob [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:57 am ]
    John P. Myers wrote:
    Vidi Vici Veni wrote:
    John P. Myers wrote:
    Vidi Vici Veni wrote:

Unfortunately, all 53 of the 4U racks they have are all 7 slot cases :/ Since the PSU pretty much has to be at the back of the case, there's really no room for the 8th slot.
    Looks like Tyan has an 8 slot rackmount, their FT48 case. Hot swapable PSUs are tucked below the main compartment.
    http://www.tyan.com/datasheets/d_FT48_B7025.pdf
    http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec...&SKU=600000164
    Not cheep though, found a few listings for the chassis only around $800. :shock: And those only had 700W power installed.

Platinum Member

Author: JerWA [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:10 am ]
    You need a case designed for the new Intel Xeon chipset standard, codename Boxboro. The specification allows for up to 10 PCIe slots, so the chassis have up to 11 physical slots.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/?chs=747
    The TG has 9 slots, the TQ has 11.
    Quote:
    Supermicro's SC747 server/workstation chassis is truly industry's most powerful high performance server chassis that offers 11 (TQ SKU) or 9 (TG SKU) full-height, full-length PCI-E expansion slots and 4 sets of 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors to support up to 4 double-width GPU cards.

Expect that to be very not cheap.
    And yes, this will rack mount. They flow air like monsters, but kinda suck to cable.

Edit: ~$840 shipped. It's 72 lbs (for the smaller one), so shipping matters lol.
    http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partInfo/ ... -R1400B-SQ
    That price is with redundant 1400 watt gold rated PSU, designed to power 4 dual-width GPUs (comes with 4 6 pin and 4 8 pin PCIe power).
    Author: Mr. Hankey [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:46 pm ]
    JerWA wrote:
    You need a case designed for the new Intel Xeon chipset standard, codename Boxboro. The specification allows for up to 10 PCIe slots, so the chassis have up to 11 physical slots.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/?chs=747
    The TG has 9 slots, the TQ has 11.
    Quote:
    Supermicro's SC747 server/workstation chassis is truly industry's most powerful high performance server chassis that offers 11 (TQ SKU) or 9 (TG SKU) full-height, full-length PCI-E expansion slots and 4 sets of 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors to support up to 4 double-width GPU cards.

Expect that to be very not cheap.
    And yes, this will rack mount. They flow air like monsters, but kinda suck to cable.

Edit: ~$840 shipped. It's 72 lbs (for the smaller one), so shipping matters lol.
    http://www.nowdirect.com/exec/partInfo/ ... -R1400B-SQ
    That price is with redundant 1400 watt gold rated PSU, designed to power 4 dual-width GPUs (comes with 4 6 pin and 4 8 pin PCIe power).

You know the thing that strikes me about that picture is look at the space between those 4 GPUs.... The first three are gonna get baked while the last one is the only card that has unblocked air intake.
    Author: JerWA [ Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:46 pm ]
    Mr. Hankey wrote:
    You know the thing that strikes me about that picture is look at the space between those 4 GPUs.... The first three are gonna get baked while the last one is the only card that has unblocked air intake.

Actually, if it's physically possible to air cool them (they were designed to run this way after all) that case will do it. 5,000 rpm server fans lol. For normal use they run pretty quiet actually, and still move a ton of air. But if you decided it was running too hot you could crank those suckers up and be pushing several hundred CFM right into the front edge of the GPU.

To give you an idea on airflow, I've got a machine running in the older version of this case with only 7 slots. I've got two passively cooled 8500 GTs running at something like 635 mhz that never budge off of 50c @ 100% load courtesy of Collatz. I wish I had some big cards to put in there just to see how temps do lol.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:34 am ]
    @Maxwell... Bogie on your six.

@JPM... How's the view back there? :mrgreen:
    Author: John P. Myers [ Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:54 am ]
    HA! Well, since you got me in the top 10 that day, i'd say the view isn't bad at all. Plus i have 3x more credits than you so if you maintain your 6k/day credit lead over me, it'll be 6.4 years before you catch me. All is well back here
    Author: STMahlberg [ Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:57 am ]
    John P. Myers wrote:
    HA! Well, since you got me in the top 10 that day, i'd say the view isn't bad at all. Plus i have 3x more credits than you so if you maintain your 6k/day credit lead over me, it'll be 6.4 years before you catch me. All is well back here

6.4 years... I should be getting my senior discount at Denny's just about then. :lol:
    Author: Keith [SETI.USA] [ Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:46 pm ]
    You both realize that Maxwell is increasing his lead on y'all
    and
    VcV is increasing his lead on the whole bunch

SMT 200 days to catch me
    JPM 150 days to catch me
    Max 257 days to catch JerWa
    30 days for me to catch Tera
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm ]
    Keith (65006508) wrote:
    and
    VcV is increasing his lead on the whole bunch...

Yeah, I'm definitely liking that screen cap. Has me running darn close to a pretty elite set of folks.
    Author: John P. Myers [ Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:12 pm ]
    Keith (65006508) wrote:
    and

SMT 200 days to catch me
    JPM 150 days to catch me

Maxwell is overrated When i get my new build going, it'll all be a different story.
    Southern Islands HD 6870 with 3072 SPs on a 28nm process FTW!!!
    Author: STMahlberg [ Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:52 am ]
    Keith (65006508) wrote:
    and

SMT 200 days to catch me
    JPM 150 days to catch me

It won't be that way for long.
    Author: JerWA [ Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:21 am ]
    My credits/day should be falling on its head by the end of the month. Such is life.

Edit: On the plus side, I could shut everything down but the single Pentium 4 and I'd still have more power than Yahoo uses to host this site. :evil:

Platinum Member

Author: DrPop [SETI.USA] [ Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:29 am ]
    Hahaha that last line was a funny! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Well, sad but true anyway.

Hey - so what's happening that's going to tank your credits? Going green on us? (i.e. cutting power usage for summer?)
    Author: Fire$torm [ Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:36 am ]
    Me thinks JerWA is upgrading employers.
    Author: JerWA [ Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:20 pm ]
    Something along those lines. Won't fall off entirely, but some old stuff I maintain on my own will stop being maintained and eventually die I'm sure. On the flip side it will mean more income, so I can get back to my plan of just building my own toys instead.

In terms of pure #'s it won't be bad. The HD5830 I'll buy will probably replace most of the points outright. It's the lack of being able to stomp on CPU projects that I'll miss.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:23 pm ]
    I haven't heard any saber rattling lately from Maxwell or JPM... you guys get abducted by aliens, illegal or otherwise??? :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, I have to put a hold on The Annihilatrix for a month or so... I had to drop $300 today to register my truck again and my oldest daughter defaulted on her boob loan which I co-signed for so that's going to cost me $1600 to pay off, which would have bought a lot of computer parts. :? She's lucky that I love her and that they don't do repos on those.

Word of advice for you parents out there... don't co-sign a loan for your kids.

But in the mean time I am just installing the OS on another Dell Optiplex GX-280 so I will have 1 more core running and one of my 4850's running in it before the night is up.
    Author: Keith [SETI.USA] [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:53 pm ]
    Since you have admited to the fact there is no repo on boob loans, If I my Girlefriends wants to take out a loan for on are you sill taking apps. :lol:
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 pm ]
    OK, so it appears we'll have to wait a little longer for the Anal-tricks, with no report yet on when we'll see Maxwell's Sphincter or the Slimy Hammer. Did I get that right?
    Author: Maxwell [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:29 pm ]
    Well, I'm currently debating between short-sighted "Get a good PSU/GPU and stick it in my current box" or the longer-sighted "get a good box, but can't afford to put a GPU in it". I'm leaning towards the former, since that will get me more credits sooner...
    Author: STMahlberg [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:29 pm ]
    Keith [SETI.USA] wrote:
    Since you have admited to the fact there is no repo on boob loans, If I my Girlefriends wants to take out a loan for on are you sill taking apps. :lol:

LOL Perhaps but I must make a visual on site inspection first. :mrgreen:

Don't be mad... you set yourself up.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:34 pm ]
    Maxwell wrote:
    Well, I'm currently debating between short-sighted "Get a good PSU/GPU and stick it in my current box" or the longer-sighted "get a good box, but can't afford to put a GPU in it". I'm leaning towards the former, since that will get me more credits sooner...

The first choice is pretty much what I did a week or so ago... bought a Rosewill 850w PSU and the 2 ATI 5830's; it was a quick upgrade for ~$500.
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 pm ]
    Maxwell wrote:

I have come to accept that, for BOINC anyway, the box truly is just the chassis in which the blades (GPUs) run. If you have room in the chassis to add another blade, then it would be silly to buy another chassis. To do work, you need more blades. Update your chassis only when you reach a point that you are unable to add blades.

In other words, so long as you have open PCIe slots, a GPU is a far more effective investment.
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:37 pm ]
    STMahlberg wrote:
    Keith [SETI.USA] wrote:

LOL Perhaps but I must make a visual on site inspection first.

A good comeback comeback that is made all the better flanked by the picture of you with that giant camera. :lol:
    Author: JerWA [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:05 am ]
    Points are GPUs. Pfft. Anyone wanna race on PG? :twisted:

Best five days
    Date Credit
    2010-06-18 15:51:52 405,440
    Author: Mr. Hankey [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:40 am ]
    JerWA wrote:
    Points are GPUs. Pfft. Anyone wanna race on PG? :twisted:

Best five days
    Date Credit
    2010-06-18 15:51:52 405,440

Lets GO!
    Best five days
    Date Credit
    2010-06-18 15:51:52 562,800
    Author: DrPop [SETI.USA] [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:46 am ]
    Hahaha, Hankey - the only guy who could, calls him on it!
    Author: JerWA [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:03 am ]
    Hanky doesn't have a system on the title of this thread, he doesn't count.
    Author: Bryan [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:05 am ]
    JerWA wrote:
    Hanky doesn't have a system on the title of this thread, he doesn't count.

Of course he counts .... as in big big numbers!
    Author: JerWA [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:02 am ]
    You don't count either. At least for the purpose of this thread and my taunt haha.
    Author: Bryan [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:48 am ]
    Oh sorry, I didn't realize it was a private thread. I won't butt in again.

Platinum Member

Author: Keith [SETI.USA] [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:57 am ]
    STMahlberg wrote:
    Keith [SETI.USA] wrote:
    Since you have admited to the fact there is no repo on boob loans, If I my Girlfriends wants to take out a loan for on are you sill taking apps. :lol:

LOL Perhaps but I must make a visual on site inspection first. :mrgreen:

Don't be mad... you set yourself up.

I could go for that as long as it is visual only! At first she might not agree to the before and after pics, but if there are no face pictures I might could get her to agree! :lol:
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:44 am ]
    Bryan wrote:
    Oh sorry, I didn't realize it was a private thread. I won't butt in again.

That's not what they were saying Bryan. If the New Orleans Saints were to attend an intramural football game in NO, people would be excited to have them there watching - they just wouldn't want them pushing their way onto the field to take on one of the teams. We all know who the pros are in this neighborhood. I think folks who chose to be doctors, lawyers, and engineers instead of professional athletes just want a chance to enjoy the sport too. That doesn't mean the pros aren't welcome to come cheer, hoot, and hollar. Please do. That makes it more fun for everyone. But on this one little corner of field, let's let the little guys be the players.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:19 am ]

Certainly not a private thread and your butt is always welcome here... err... ah... that probably didn't come out sounding right but I think you get the picture.
    Author: DrPop [SETI.USA] [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:56 am ]
    Haha STM, I rarely read one of your posts to this thread without busting a gut laughing! I think I need to go to Vegas sometime...liking the style, my friend.

Bryan - don't stay out of this, we need you to help pressure these boys into BIG upgrading! :lol: The whole team will benefit greatly from these monster rig buildups under discussion.
    Author: Fire$torm [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:33 pm ]

Not a private thread but a thread that will tempt you into spending a ridiculously large pile of cash. So.... if your tempted then you qualify. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Author: STMahlberg [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:34 pm ]
    Dr. Pop [SETI.USA] wrote:
    Haha STM, I rarely read one of your posts to this thread without busting a gut laughing! I think I need to go to Vegas sometime...liking the style, my friend.

Bryan - don't stay out of this, we need you to help pressure these boys into BIG upgrading! :lol: The whole team will benefit greatly from these monster rig buildups under discussion.

Thank you. You know what they say... if you can't say something intelligent at least try to say something funny. :mrgreen:
    Author: JerWA [ Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:37 pm ]
    Pfft, all are welcome to taunt. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm just sayin, this is a race between Maxwells creations and other users, and I'm at least partially responsible for Maxs Monsters so I want to live (i.e. earn credits) vicariously. :stooges:
    Author: John P. Myers [ Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:39 pm ]
    Step 1 of my new build completed (Maxwell Spanker Rev. 2). Just ordered a HAF X with an additional 200mm fan Now i'll have clashing blue and red LEDs for a nice purple mixing effect.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:22 pm ]
    John P. Myers wrote:
    Step 1 of my new build completed (Maxwell Spanker Rev. 2). Just ordered a HAF X with an additional 200mm fan Now i'll have clashing blue and red LEDs for a nice purple mixing effect.

Your light-show will not save you but at least you will have something pretty to look at when you get smoked by The Annihilatrix. :wink:
    Author: Vidi Vici Veni [ Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:41 pm ]
    STMahlberg wrote:
    John P. Myers wrote:

Your light-show will not save you but at least you will have something pretty to look at when you get smoked by The Annihilatrix. :wink:

STM - Just rename that box to "the Dominatrix" like we all know you want to and get it over already. In fact, I'm already looking forward to some of the interesting headlines that I know your unique sense of humor will be able to dream up to describe her exploits.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:01 am ]

STM - Just rename that box to "the Dominatrix" like we all know you want to and get it over already. In fact, I'm already looking forward to some of the interesting headlines that I know your unique sense of humor will be able to dream up to describe her exploits.

The Dominatrix. LOL You must read minds. :mrgreen: Dang... Now I'm under pressure to perform. :lol:
    Author: DrPop [SETI.USA] [ Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:19 pm ]
    You can even take of picture of it propped up on some wicked stilettos with a riding crop lying on top of the case and show these two boys the pain! :shock:

Hey it'd even be "free" - where you live, you could just borrow the gear from a "friend" for the photo shoot! (I can hear it now: "Honest, honey, she was ONLY here for the photo props!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Author: STMahlberg [ Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:31 pm ]
    DrPop [SETI.USA] wrote:
    You can even take of picture of it propped up on some wicked stilettos with a riding crop lying on top of the case and show these two boys the pain! :shock:

Hey it'd even be "free" - where you live, you could just borrow the gear from a "friend" for the photo shoot! (I can hear it now: "Honest, honey, she was ONLY here for the photo props!) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That's funny. Come to think of it there is a wicked Leather Shop just about a mile from where I live. :mrgreen: I will have to smoke on this.
    Author: Maxwell [ Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:05 pm ]
    STMahlberg wrote:
    DrPop [SETI.USA] wrote:

That's funny. Come to think of it there is a wicked Leather Shop just about a mile from where I live. :mrgreen: I will have to smoke on this.

This is slowly morphing into the computer equivalent of Furniture Porn. Be careful now, kids...
    Author: Fire$torm [ Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:00 pm ]
    And here is that websites "Joke of the Day"

Q: Who's the Irish homosexual who comes out of the closet in the Spring and goes back into the closet in the Fall?

A: Patty O'Furniture
    Author: STMahlberg [ Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 pm ]
    I don't know how many of these TigerDirect has left or if anyone uses wireless cards; I just ordered 2 more for a couple of my machines.
    Linksys WMP54G PCI Wireless Adapter - 54Mbps, 802.11g, 3 Month Warranty, Recertified $14.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...865&CatId=2697
    Author: STMahlberg [ Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:26 pm ]
    Finally got another one of my minions hooked up on wireless so I no longer have to do manual updates.

On a side note... I was in our main office today for an energy meeting and you should see all of the new computers that we are upgrading too. Nothing special just a couple dozen duo-cores but what kills me is all of the old computers that are simply going to be destroyed and there is nothing wrong with them. As a Government Organization we only have a couple options with computers, we can give them to another Government entity, store them in one of our warehouses or we have to destroy them.

A friend of mine who is a Safety Officer for the County and also has a minor role with the State and Homeland Security says that there is a concern that computer parts (get this) might fall into the wrong hands and be converted to weapons systems for terrorists. So if we can no longer use them they have to be destroyed... and in Nevada you just can't dump them after they have been crushed, they are considered Hazardous Material and have to be buried in a Certified dump which would be Beatty, Nevada, 120 miles NW of Las Vegas.

Gotta love government work.

Platinum Member

Author: Keith [SETI.USA] [ Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:05 am ]
    Here in Texas when a State University gets ride of a computer, the hard drive has to be pulled and destoryed, Then the rest of the computers are stacked on palets and sent to the State Correctional Department and the prisoners get to try and make good working computers to give to the less fortunate public schools.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:51 am ]
    Keith [SETI.USA] wrote:
    Here in Texas when a State University gets ride of a computer, the hard drive has to be pulled and destoryed, Then the rest of the computers are stacked on palets and sent to the State Correctional Department and the prisoners get to try and make good working computers to give to the less fortunate public schools.

Much better than throwing them away.
    Author: Maxwell [ Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:06 pm ]
    Crap...

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sac/748385561.html
    Author: Slicker [ Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:31 pm ]
    STMahlberg wrote:
    Keith [SETI.USA] wrote:
    Here in Texas when a State University gets ride of a computer, the hard drive has to be pulled and destoryed, Then the rest of the computers are stacked on pallets and sent to the State Correctional Department and the prisoners get to try and make good working computers to give to the less fortunate public schools.

Much better than throwing them away.

There's a similar outfit here in Illinois called PCs for Schools. In addition to the actual computers, they also take mice, keyboards, monitors, or any other PC equipment you have lying around.

If there's room to store them temporarily, rather than destroy the hard drives, we pull them and run a security wiping program which overwrites every bit on the hard drive 7 times. We just have a box with an open case, install the hard drive, run the cleaning app from a CD, and let it rip. It takes several hours per 20-40GB hard drive so we usually kick one off in the morning and another after lunch and a third before heading home for the day.
    Author: STMahlberg [ Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:58 am ]
    Maxwell wrote:
    Crap...

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sac/748385561.html

How do you find this stuff?! LOL
    Author: Maxwell [ Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:21 pm ]
    Maxwell wrote:
    The conglomeration that is the Silver Hammer has ordered four i7 860s each with a GTS240. Please plan accordingly.

Be apprised: I brought these online this evening. :mrgreen:
    Author: Keith [SETI.USA] [ Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:44 am ]
    Maxwell why has your output dropped. I would have thought with new hardware comming online your output would have at least stayed the same.
    It must be bad karma from all the "baby punching". :lol:

JPM and V3 why has y'alls posting dropped.
    Author: JerWA [ Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:51 am ]
    Busy times probably. Haven't been around much myself either.

Should be bringing 2 small boxes online tomorrow if I feel motivated. It looks like a bunch of the standardized credit crap is live now and my RAC is craptastic for it. Maybe it's just AQUA being down? I dunno.

Either way, the #'s aren't providing much motivation to pay attention. And with the stuff I've got going on I have zero budget for computer stuff probably until after the end of the year.
    Author: trigggl [ Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 am ]
    Keith [SETI.USA] wrote:
    JPM and V3 why has y'alls posting dropped.

I think JPM had a fatal accident with a headphone jack.
    Author: Maxwell [ Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:17 pm ]
    Despite my relative silence of my mortal enemies here, I figure I should update the status of the Silver Hammer:

Ordered.

Granted not the full Silver Hammer I'm thinking of, but AMD Phenom X6, HAF 932 Case, 1000W PSU, Gigabyte board, *cough5970cough*, and 8 Gb DDR3. I'll post full specs and pictures (if I can figure out how to take pictures) when it gets built...
    Author: Fire$torm [ Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:14 pm ]
    Maxwell wrote:
    Despite my relative silence of my mortal enemies here, I figure I should update the status of the Silver Hammer:

Ordered.

Granted not the full Silver Hammer I'm thinking of, but AMD Phenom X6, HAF 932 Case, 1000W PSU, Gigabyte board, *cough5970cough*, and 8 Gb DDR3. I'll post full specs and pictures (if I can figure out how to take pictures) when it gets built...

Cough Cough indeed. LOL......

Sweet setup Maxwell. For the bit about taking pics, I have an elegant solution. Send ALL the parts to my house and let me build it and break it in for you. This will allow me to take all kinds of Hi-Rez pics of the Silver Hammer for you. The only downside for you is that you would have to pay shipping both ways and the break in period would last a minimum of six weeks to allow for proper settling of components.
    Author: Maxwell [ Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:15 pm ]
    Fire$torm wrote:
    For the bit about taking pics, I have an elegant solution. Send ALL the parts to my house and let me build it and break it in for you. This will allow me to take all kinds of Hi-Rez pics of the Silver Hammer for you. The only downside for you is that you would have to pay shipping both ways and the break in period would last a minimum of six weeks to allow for proper settling of components.

Nice "solution" you have there, F$...

This was one of the things I loved about my ex - She took ALL of the pictures during our relationship. I mean, I snapped a few, but that was only when she handed me the camera and told me to take a picture of something while she stood in front of it. But she took all the pictures from the camera, made them available to me, and all I had to do was turn on my computer to view them.

And I'm only 5-6 hours South of you by car, F$, so if you REALLY want to snap pictures of the Hammer, you're welcome to come down. I'll even put you up here... :mrgreen:
    Author: Mike029 [ Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:32 pm ]
    Maxwell wrote:
    Nice "solution" you have there, F$...

This was one of the things I loved about my ex - She took ALL of the pictures during our relationship. I mean, I snapped a few, but that was only when she handed me the camera and told me to take a picture of something while she stood in front of it. But she took all the pictures from the camera, made them available to me, and all I had to do was turn on my computer to view them.

And I'm only 5-6 hours South of you by car, F$, so if you REALLY want to snap pictures of the Hammer, you're welcome to come down. I'll even put you up here... :mrgreen:

That's funny I have an ex and she took all of, everything... :headbang: I also don't like her. :censor:

Almost the same thing, no?

@Fire$torm- Good one...
    Author: Fire$torm [ Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:51 am ]
    Maxwell wrote:

Darn It!!!! Foiled again............

Mike029 wrote:
    That's funny I have an ex and she took all of, everything... :headbang: I also don't like her. :censor:

Been there too. I understand were you are coming from. Really messy stuff in THAT baggage except for my son. Best gift/blessing given to me by God. TYJ.
    Author: DrPop [SETI.USA] [ Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:10 pm ]
    Cough - Cough - I think that little addition in the fine print might add up to some serious points!

Awesome! :mrgreen:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12