Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: To build or not to build... that is the question.

Administrator

Re: To build or not to build... that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I'll give it a shot
    AMD 4000+ = 65W
    Intel Q6600 = 105W
    Intel Q9540 = 95W
    Mobo NB + SB = 30W x3 = 90W
    ATI HD3870 = 106W x2 = 212W (@496GFLOPs ea. = 4.68Gflops/W)
    HDD = 20W x3 = 60W
    Optical Drive = 5W x3 = 15W
    1 stick RAM = 10W x 6? = 60W
    80mm fan = 2W x3 = 6W
    120mm fan = 2W x3 = 6W
    TOTAL for 3 rigs: 714W x 1.2 (for Min. inefficiency of PSU) = 857W pulled from wall.
    Total processing power (CPU + GPU) = 66.5 + 992 = 1058.5 GFLOPs
    Your current combined Efficiency: 1.24GFLOPs /Watt

Sandy Bridge i7-2600K Sandy Bridge = 95W
    mobo NB + SB = 30W
    HDD = 20W
    Optical Drive = 5W
    2 sticks RAM = 20W
    80mm fan = 2W
    120mm fan = 2W
    ATI HD5870 = 188W (@2720GFLOPs = 14.5GFLOPs/W!!!)
    TOTAL for new rig: 362W x 1.2 = 434W pulled from wall.
    Total processing power (CPU + GPU) = 83.3 + 2720 = 2803.3 GFLOPs
    Your NEW combined Efficiency: 6.46GFLOPs /Watt

I think that might be enough to convince her - new rig is 5.2 x MORE efficient than running the 3 old rigs put together. In other words, it has 2.6x the processing power, and uses exactly half of the electricity to do it.
    Hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Ahhh hey guys....

I think you are confusing CPU TDP (Thermal Design Power) with electrical power consumption. TDP refers to the max. amount of heat in Watts a CPU is designed to generate. All current CPUs use a lot more electrical power then their TDP rating.

Take a look at this ---> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...5,2278-11.html
    TDPs, GFLOPs per Watt, efficiency ratings. ROFLMAO How long have you guys been married???

Slicker... I'd go for the Rose Oil. Sure, it's $200 a half once but I think it will go further with your wife than GFLOPS per watt. Just my opinion.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    TDPs, GFLOPs per Watt, efficiency ratings. ROFLMAO How long have you guys been married???

Slicker... I'd go for the Rose Oil. Sure, it's $200 a half once but I think it will go further with your wife than GFLOPS per watt. Just my opinion.
    LOL! heh...seriously, though...a lot of women would look at it like: "it'll cut the hobby electric bill in half, AND give my man 2 1/2 times the pleasure & status in his group? I'm up for that." They really do want their man to be happy and having a good, successful life, etc...and if they can DOUBLE that feeling for HALF the money, a woman will do that in a heartbeat!

Administrator

LOL! heh...seriously, though...a lot of women would look at it like: "it'll cut the hobby electric bill in half, AND give my man 2 1/2 times the pleasure & status in his group? I'm up for that." They really do want their man to be happy and having a good, successful life, etc...and if they can DOUBLE that feeling for HALF the money, a woman will do that in a heartbeat!
    I guess I've been shopping at the wrong store.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    I guess I've been shopping at the wrong store.
    well...fair enough. But...I won't exactly say the good lady's designs aren't selfish either. I mean, for example, what do you think she's going to do with that extra $$$ per month off the utility bill? Let's just say it aint gonna end up in Slicker's wallet as spendin' cash! hehe

Past Administrator

In that case, the equation will be even MORE lopsided in favor of the new rig!

However, most of those times, like for example in the link you posted, that is the total watts of the rig tested, not watts of the CPU.
    True true. To get a true idea of what the system consumes look at the idle graph. That does include the CPU at idle but most of the other hardware is running pretty much full. The difference between max and idle is almost entirely CPU draw. And that is of most concern when figuring which PSU to get.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567