Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PrimeGrid: The Dog Days of Summer Challenge

Gold Member

Re: PrimeGrid: The Dog Days of Summer Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by NJCaNS View Post
    I probably shouldn't say anything because I don't really know for sure but I suspect our lower than usual finish was more the result of a deliberate action as in a protest of PG dropping credits awarded. Of course our 18th place finish severely impacts our previous 2nd place position in the 2011 PG Series Challenge. Question is are we going to keep the protest up? Help someone (Ukraine) challenge SIC? Help another US team (Navy)? Or take advantage of the situation (and key teams involved) to do something special for SUSA?

p.s. I was fortunate in my power didn't go out at all.
    The earthquake and the hurricane did a number on my computers here in Arkansas. I didn't manage to return a single result for the challenge.
    Last edited by trigggl; 09-05-11 at 09:34 PM.
    6r39 7r199

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    The earthquake and the hurricane did a number on my computers here in Arkansas. I didn't manage to return a single result for the challenge.
    It did not help that PG upped the needed time for the PPS Sieve to almost a day on my system, when it took only a few hours before. I have over 2 million credits for that sub-project, but now the time needed per WU is not work the credit returns. I use to get 10K to 18K daily running 4 cores with PPS Sieve, several WUs per core a day. It changed in August for me. Now if I run PPS Sieve, it takes a day or more per WU and it seems to give me less per WU as well.

Yes, the power outage, and other stuff, caused a lot of US East Coast computers not to have any credits. But, for my semi-fast system, I did only 4 WU during the time. The other 4 finished several hours after the deadline. PG still has these very high run times for the WUs for PPS Sieve. Hopefully, it will go back down to normal. Actually, I think they are now meant to be run on GPUs instead of CPUs.

---------
    "but I suspect our lower than usual finish was more the result of a deliberate action as in a protest of PG dropping credits awarded."
    ---------

I did not hear this before.
    When did that happen, what sub-projects, and to who?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post

---------
    "but I suspect our lower than usual finish was more the result of a deliberate action as in a protest of PG dropping credits awarded."
    ---------

I did not hear this before.
    When did that happen, what sub-projects, and to who?
    I think this might be a bit of water under the bridge and there might have been another thread around the same time but I think this touched upon the issue.

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...on-at-PG/page2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123