Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Dirt issues.

Gold Member

Re: More Dirt issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    The weird thing is, I've been crunching it on 10 CPU cores, + a GTX 460, and I haven't been awarded any credit for days; but...I don't see that I have any pending either? That's kind of odd...
    The pending credit 'view' link off the main account page doesn't show anything. You have to go into the tasks 'view' link and click pending.

Past Administrator

Ah, thanks for that!

Past Administrator

I just noticed my CUDA GPU sitting idle. Looks like DiRT has plenty of CPU WUs for me, but their GPU WUs have stopped coming in. I'd recommend everyone allow PG to get some new work on their CUDA rigs if you haven't beat me to it already.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I just noticed my CUDA GPU sitting idle. Looks like DiRT has plenty of CPU WUs for me, but their GPU WUs have stopped coming in. I'd recommend everyone allow PG to get some new work on their CUDA rigs if you haven't beat me to it already.
    Thanks for the warning.

Cruncher Pete

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    The pending credit 'view' link off the main account page doesn't show anything. You have to go into the tasks 'view' link and click pending.
    Unfortunately, this like a lot of other sites do not show you how much credit is in pending. You need to actually access you Account and view your computers on it. In my case, I have over 800 units sitting in "Awaiting Validation" and have not been given a credit for over three days. Hope it will resolve soon and in particular we will not waste our efforts. Still, I am not that trustworthy after all, and have issued a NNW on all my Dirt projects.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    Unfortunately, this like a lot of other sites do not show you how much credit is in pending.
    You can thank DA for that.

You need to actually access you Account and view your computers on it. In my case, I have over 800 units sitting in "Awaiting Validation" and have not been given a credit for over three days. Hope it will resolve soon and in particular we will not waste our efforts. Still, I am not that trustworthy after all, and have issued a NNW on all my Dirt projects.
    I am curious why you and some others here feel so concerned about this. Has this project ever stolen credits from you? Has it happened at another project, that causes you to think it will happen here? Why so worried?

For my personal experience, I have crunched just about every project ever, and find it hard to come up with an example of much significance.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Cruncher Pete

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    You can thank DA for that.

I am curious why you and some others here feel so concerned about this. Has this project ever stolen credits from you? Has it happened at another project, that causes you to think it will happen here? Why so worried?

For my personal experience, I have crunched just about every project ever, and find it hard to come up with an example of much significance.
    @zombie67. To satisfy your curiosity, it is of no consequence to me how or where the credits are shown up. Having said that, what is worrying me is at this stage I have over 800 units in Pending validation that has been waiting for the last three days to be validated.. In all honestly, I can not afford to wait any longer to see if I am going to be credited for these in view (times for submission has expired) of previous times when I lost credits and hoped that in time all will be good. In my experience twice I have worked for credits for days to weeks and on the end the whole lot was wiped. Aqua was one and FreeHAL was another. This is my reason to be cautious.In this light, I suggest that like I did is to stop new work units coming in and if necessary crunch others until this problem is fixed. On the other hand, there is no problem if you keep thrusting this project and just crunch away, so far it has always credited your entitlement as due. I am just being cautious and move to more secure projects whilst it is available and more promising as to credit outcome..Hope that answers my point of view why we are doing things the way we are doing.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...

Diamond Member

@zombie67. To satisfy your curiosity, it is of no consequence to me how or where the credits are shown up. Having said that, what is worrying me is at this stage I have over 800 units in Pending validation that has been waiting for the last three days to be validated.. In all honestly, I can not afford to wait any longer to see if I am going to be credited for these in view (times for submission has expired) of previous times when I lost credits and hoped that in time all will be good.
    Just to be clear, validation does not matter about due dates, if you have returned the task by the due date. Validation could happen a year later and it would still award credits.

Also, the number of days for tasks to be validated was already known in advance, and should not be a surprise. They explained their schedule several days ago. It is not like the number of days are an indication of anything wrong. They are on schedule so far.

Think about it this way. If this were a normal BOINC project, with a quorum of 3, you could be waiting MONTHS for a task to be awarded credit. A week or two is nothing extra ordinary.

In my experience twice I have worked for credits for days to weeks and on the end the whole lot was wiped. Aqua was one and FreeHAL was another. This is my reason to be cautious.In this light, I suggest that like I did is to stop new work units coming in and if necessary crunch others until this problem is fixed. On the other hand, there is no problem if you keep thrusting this project and just crunch away, so far it has always credited your entitlement as due. I am just being cautious and move to more secure projects whilst it is available and more promising as to credit outcome..Hope that answers my point of view why we are doing things the way we are doing.

No need to stop crunching, as the project stopped issuing new work a day or two ago. Any new work out there is just re-issues due to people missing the deadlines. They stopped it for you.

I have been crunching FreeHAL since day 1. Losing free credits (non-CPU) didn't strike me as a problem. As long as everyone crunching the project lost equally, and we did, where is the harm? For AQUA, I had already hit my 5M goal there, so I missed this issue. I thought they restored the credits from a few days previous. Maybe I am confusing it with another project? In any case, everyone lost equally right? *shrug* I guess I just don't see the need to worry. But then again, I am usually crunching for alpha projects. So I am almost always living with the risk of losing credits. Or sometimes never getting any credits at all when they close before ever exporting stats.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Cruncher Pete

Just to be clear, validation does not matter about due dates, if you have returned the task by the due date. Validation could happen a year later and it would still award credits.

Also, the number of days for tasks to be validated was already known in advance, and should not be a surprise. They explained their schedule several days ago. It is not like the number of days are an indication of anything wrong. They are on schedule so far.

Think about it this way. If this were a normal BOINC project, with a quorum of 3, you could be waiting MONTHS for a task to be awarded credit. A week or two is nothing extra ordinary.

No need to stop crunching, as the project stopped issuing new work a day or two ago. Any new work out there is just re-issues due to people missing the deadlines. They stopped it for you.

I have been crunching FreeHAL since day 1. Losing free credits (non-CPU) didn't strike me as a problem. As long as everyone crunching the project lost equally, and we did, where is the harm? For AQUA, I had already hit my 5M goal there, so I missed this issue. I thought they restored the credits from a few days previous. Maybe I am confusing it with another project? In any case, everyone lost equally right? *shrug* I guess I just don't see the need to worry. But then again, I am usually crunching for alpha projects. So I am almost always living with the risk of losing credits. Or sometimes never getting any credits at all when they close before ever exporting stats.

You might well be right, but in view of the saying once bitten twice shy, I tend to be careful with projects like this that takes a lot of time to fix their problems or loose all credits or some because of their inability to fix the problem. In the case of FreeHAL I have wasted weeks of computing times whereas others might only have wasted hours, yet we lost the lot, not because of a computer error but because the Admin decided that we are all cheating.(They are the words the Admin used at the time.) Therefore, I tend to be on the cautious side and place all WU's on NNW until the project recovers when something like this happens. It is really only a safeguard for during this time I can crunch an alternative until the problem is resolved....

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    I counted about 20 instances of the low credit bug on my account over the last week. That's about 60k credits. Hope it really is fixed.
    So ya, at least one person has lost credits. I have not checked my own mainly because if I find it then I'll be irate. And yes, I know it happens which is why I stay away from projects that take this sort of thing for granted. MW usually does a great job of correcting errors which in my opinion is the reasonable thing to do.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast