Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dip in my RAC this week

Past Administrator

Dip in my RAC this week

To keep anyone from being concerned, I'm going to post my intentions regarding the 2 rigs here. My RAC will probably dip considerably; I have no way of knowing how much. I am purchasing the new case and a new mobo w/ more PCI-E slots to run these GPUs in one rig. That will allow us to bring the 4870 & 4850 online for Kat. Unfortunately, I have to do a round-robin with selling off my Intel QX9650 and my DDR2 RAM for an AMD X6 and DDR3...and I've got to get the money from one before I get the other. My goal is to get this all done by the next PG challenge so that I can add a little more fire power for us there.

If all goes well with the upgrades I should be back up and running with full RAC, and Kat should be cranking out MW points (thank you again, Bryan! ) in roughly one week.
    Last edited by DrPop; 11-06-10 at 07:27 PM. Reason: fixed smiley face

Re: Dip in my RAC this week

We got your back...

Past Admin

Holy smokes Dr.Pop!! You are really on the move!!

I have been curious about those AMD X6....You gonna give some pointers, when up and running??

Anyway....We will try to pump as many CS as possible....(as always)
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Platinum Member

Well, I just bought a 5970 which might help a tad... (Thanks for the code, DrPop)

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    I have been curious about those AMD X6....You gonna give some pointers, when up and running??
    I have one... what do you want to know?

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Well, I just bought a 5970 which might help a tad... (Thanks for the code, DrPop)

I have one... what do you want to know?
    Basiclly how they run...Hot/cold? Do they only run on DDR3 boards? I only got DDR2, so I need to know how much to set aside....

Which project are you working with that beast?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Basiclly how they run...Hot/cold? Do they only run on DDR3 boards? I only got DDR2, so I need to know how much to set aside....

Which project are you working with that beast?
    Well, at 100% load right now running primaBOINCa, it's running at 34C. I'm running this one at stock right now. I've run quite a few projects, and never run into a heat issue. It's an AM3 socket CPU, but it should run DDR2, if I'm reading the specs correctly (I have DDR3 installed in this machine).

I like it quite a bit. Feeds the GPUs well, runs some projects better than others, but works well running a work/crunching machine. No regrets with the purchase so far...

Past Administrator

Holy smokes! You pulled the trigger on the 5970! Sweeeeeeeet.

@Beer - they will run both DDR2 and DDR3, as they have both controllers built in. I was talking with some big BOINC dudes on Anandtech's forums and they said in heavily threaded apps the X6 easily keeps up with most i7 rigs for points / day.

Honestly, it probably won't be a huge upgrade points wise from that Core2 Extreme I was running, because that thing was fast - I had it O/Ced where it was close to an i7 950 in power.
    Thing is, I can't get the motherboard that I want in the socket 775...so...sheesh. I get to give the state of California another $50 tax just on my horse-trading to get what I need. Ugh!

Administrator

A single dip is okay Drpop, just don't double dip

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Holy smokes! You pulled the trigger on the 5970! Sweeeeeeeet.

@Beer - they will run both DDR2 and DDR3, as they have both controllers built in. I was talking with some big BOINC dudes on Anandtech's forums and they said in heavily threaded apps the X6 easily keeps up with most i7 rigs for points / day.

Honestly, it probably won't be a huge upgrade points wise from that Core2 Extreme I was running, because that thing was fast - I had it O/Ced where it was close to an i7 950 in power.
    Thing is, I can't get the motherboard that I want in the socket 775...so...sheesh. I get to give the state of California another $50 tax just on my horse-trading to get what I need. Ugh!

Oh, man...Thatīs just what I wanted to hear..Thatīs sweet music to my ears! I figured that if I could go upgrade on DDR2 that would be more "doable" on a limited budget...I really like this small AMD cruncher I got here...Migth as well go that route again since I am so happy about it. And you know....Budget usually equals AMD...

I will see what I can do...Not gonna happen this side of X-mas anyway...But I keep my hopes up!

thepossum1

Woot! go go go No clue what you're talking about, but it sounds good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast