Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $500 power bill yikes!

Gold Member

$500 power bill yikes!

Electricity bill was over $500!!

I'm only currently running 4 machines too. I had planned on adding more, but that's not happening until winter.

I'm going to turn off the oldest machines (AMD Athlon XP 2000 and Core2 duo 6600) as they don't produce much.

Also turned off overclocking on my remaining 2 machines i7-2600k, i7-920.

I guess I wasn't expecting that much power usage, but I do run a portable AC to cool my pc's 24/7.

Kind of a downer really...

Past Admin

Re: $500 power bill yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post

I'm only currently running 4 machines too. I had planned on adding more, but that's not happening until winter.

I'm going to turn off the oldest machines (AMD Athlon XP 2000 and Core2 duo 6600) as they don't produce much.

Also turned off overclocking on my remaining 2 machines i7-2600k, i7-920.

I guess I wasn't expecting that much power usage, but I do run a portable AC to cool my pc's 24/7.

Kind of a downer really...
    Better to focus on 1 or 2 good crunchers, that you can keep running.

I know I donīt produce as much as you guys...But my current production I can keep up for years!! Oh, and BTW...My powerbill comes every 3 months...Last quarter were around 900$..
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Better to focus on 1 or 2 good crunchers, that you can keep running.

I know I donīt produce as much as you guys...But my current production I can keep up for years!! Oh, and BTW...My powerbill comes every 3 months...Last quarter were around 900$..
    I hear ya!

So, I forgot I had a killawat meter and I checked the portable AC unit, which I'm assuming uses the most electricity and it comes out to about $170/month. I need to verify the actual rate I'm paying though. I'll check my pc's later when I have time.

So, maybe I can just put my old pc's in the garage with a fan.

Silver Member

Wow! yeah definitely focus on one or two good crunchers. At the same time, you can look at it as the glass is half full. Turn off the portable ac unit and you have a free sauna that doesn't require steam or rocks .

- Jason

Cruncher Pete

Electricity costs is a sure point with me. In Australia the cost of Electricity has risen to over 40% in the last year alone and that has been a consistent trend.. I can not understand why this is so,(accept to say that his is a prelude to yet more costs when our new legislation that will introduce Carbon Tax on all of us next July.) We export coal and Uranium to run an Electricity stations around the world yet at home we are paying multiple times the amount paid for same usage. I an not see how a tax will reduce the carbon that we put in the atmosphere unless we change the method of doing things to reduce this. We will soon be on candle power again for we can not afford the cost of running Electricity. The way I see it is this. In the state of Tx for example. I believe the cost of power per 1KW is 8C. I am paying well over 22C for the same power, yet it was Australia that exported the coal to the USA in the first place.. I am retired, I look at crunching as a hobby or in some respect as a sport. Admittedly, in my younger days, I used to pay something similar for my enjoyment of sport. To me the way we are heading is that pensioners like me need to cut out the use of power and go back to candle power for that is all they will be able to afford. I will keep crunching as long as I can, but even now I am reviewing my commitment for $1200+ in three months is too much for my budget. Yet, this is at a reduced rate for I am only running 2 machines 24/7 and than change to three or four every second day or so to keep up the Average. I have no idea what it would cost me if I to run my 12 machines 24/7. Simply, I just can not afford it...Yet this is supposed to be for a Non-profit Volunteer aspect of the hobby that if we find the answer to what Scientists are looking for somebody will make a fortune out of it but I can not see that it will be any of us.. Never the less,

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...

Past Administrator

Yeah...I am sad to say I hear you man. I recently had to down grade myself due to space and power bill ... I would not run the two old boxes - unless they have big GPUs in them, probably honestly not worth the money. The old rigs can really suck down the juice for a pittance of return in credits. I know, because I did an analysis on running an old P4 rig that I had...it literally wasn't worth it to turn it on. Maybe time for a little Craigslist action?
    Also, if the A/C is just for the rigs...I would totally shut it off and just drop all O/C on everything, and it should be able to run pretty well at ambient temps. Just my thoughts, and sorry to hear about the news.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    I'll trade you three of yours for one of mine...seriously.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Cruncher Pete

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I'll trade you three of yours for one of mine...seriously.
    That is a fair enough comment to the number of machines you are running, but not a fair comparison as to what you are paying for 1KW of Electricity as per you bill. In fact, you would be surprided to see the difference in sates at to this cost. So, why not, let us check out in each states what you are paying per 1KW pf usage and that way we can compare relativity. To a start, I am paying 24C per KW. What is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    ...So, why not, let us check out in each states what you are paying per 1KW pf usage and that way we can compare relativity. To a start, I am paying 24C per KW. What is yours?
    MN Twin Cities Metro $0.13/kWh

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    That is a fair enough comment to the number of machines you are running, but not a fair comparison as to what you are paying for 1KW of Electricity as per you bill. In fact, you would be surprided to see the difference in sates at to this cost. So, why not, let us check out in each states what you are paying per 1KW pf usage and that way we can compare relativity. To a start, I am paying 24C per KW. What is yours?
    It's not that simple. The power here in PG&E land is tiered. Completely Byzantine and indecipherable, and the rates change every two weeks.

Baseline usage is defined as 370 kwh. Is that enough to run a house? Anyway, here is the table from the two two-week periods from June, all kwh:

Up to baseline is $0.12
    100-130% of baseline is $0.14
    131-200% of baseline is $0.30
    201-300% of baseline is $0.37
    over 300% of baseline is $0.37

My kwh in the same tiers respectively:

270 (2%)
    111 (1%)
    259 (4%)
    370 (7%)
    4712 (86%)

Bottom line, my average usage for June was $0.35.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast