Thread: Linux Screen Resolution

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Linux Screen Resolution

I'm having some difficulty here, and if anyone has some insight or input, I would REALLY appreciate it.. Here's the problem:

Running a 17" KDS LCD on my computer, with a native resolution of 1280x1024 (5:4 AR). I can't get Mint 9 to recognize it. Best I can get is 1152x864. I have tried everything I can see on google, and the Ubuntu forums (Mint is based on Ubuntu), using xrandr and cvt to get the modelines for xorg.conf, and nothing seems to work. I cannot get my monitor to 1280x1024.

On a previous install, I had this res, but it won't go this time. Running on an GeForce 7100 (onboard) using version 195 of the nVidia driver. (Latest that installed from the Mint hardware drivers install.)

Any help?! Please?!

Platinum Member

Re: Linux Screen Resolution

My first thought was driver issue...

When you try to change resolution, is the option grayed out, or is it actually not there?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA] View Post
    I'm having some difficulty here, and if anyone has some insight or input, I would REALLY appreciate it.. Here's the problem:

Running a 17" KDS LCD on my computer, with a native resolution of 1280x1024 (5:4 AR). I can't get Mint 9 to recognize it. Best I can get is 1152x864. I have tried everything I can see on google, and the Ubuntu forums (Mint is based on Ubuntu), using xrandr and cvt to get the modelines for xorg.conf, and nothing seems to work. I cannot get my monitor to 1280x1024.

On a previous install, I had this res, but it won't go this time. Running on an GeForce 7100 (onboard) using version 195 of the nVidia driver. (Latest that installed from the Mint hardware drivers install.)

Any help?! Please?!
    First, make sure you don't have two versions of the nvidia driver installed. Install the one from the package manager. Make sure /etc/X11/xorg.conf has "nvidia" for driver and not "nv". Reboot. If that doesn't do it, completely uninstall the package management version, get the kernel source for your currently running kernel and install the latest from the nvidia website.

It's always best to install the nvidia driver from single user mode whether you're using the package manager or not.

If you don't have aptitude installed, I highly suggest you install it and learn to use it. Aptitude is started by typing "aptitude" in a terminal window. As a quick start, the '/' key is for search. 'n' is for next. 'N' is for previous. To install, press the '+' on the '=' key. To uninstall, press the '-'. 'g' is to apply the install/uninstall changes. It's easier than it sounds. I always use aptitude whether I'm in gui mode or not.

Hope that helps.
    6r39 7r199

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    My first thought was driver issue...

When you try to change resolution, is the option grayed out, or is it actually not there?
    It is simply not there. I have resolutions that my monitor won't even support.. Like 1360x768 (or something similar, can't recall)..

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    First, make sure you don't have two versions of the nvidia driver installed. Install the one from the package manager. Make sure /etc/X11/xorg.conf has "nvidia" for driver and not "nv". Reboot. If that doesn't do it, completely uninstall the package management version, get the kernel source for your currently running kernel and install the latest from the nvidia website.

It's always best to install the nvidia driver from single user mode whether you're using the package manager or not.

If you don't have aptitude installed, I highly suggest you install it and learn to use it. Aptitude is started by typing "aptitude" in a terminal window. As a quick start, the '/' key is for search. 'n' is for next. 'N' is for previous. To install, press the '+' on the '=' key. To uninstall, press the '-'. 'g' is to apply the install/uninstall changes. It's easier than it sounds. I always use aptitude whether I'm in gui mode or not.

Hope that helps.
    Only one version of the driver installed, and in xorg.conf, it's the nvidia driver, not nv. Checked those already

As for aptitude, I've tried it, but never cared for it.. Will give it another go. I should note tho, that I'm not using synaptic or Package Manager to install the driver.. I'm using the Hardware Drivers install app in the control center.

I'll give aptitude a go when I get home from work and let you know what happens.

Gold Member

Ever get this working?
    6r39 7r199

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Yes, I did.. Took me a ton of googling, and sifting thru about a trillion threads on various message boards. Ended up having to use a couple of settings in xorg.conf i never een knew existed:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        DisplaySize       337 269
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Option       "DPI"     "96x96"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes      "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    There's more in there, but I edited it out for brevity. I did try manually installing the nvidia driver (version 195 is installed by default from Mint9). But there was no change using v250. So I removed it, and went back to the default version, and continued tinkering with xorg.conf. I was so happy when I finally had 1280x1024, which, btw, is a 5:4 AR, not the usual 4:3 or 16:9 used by most displays....

I had meant to reply to this thread a couple days ago when I got it working and update it, but RL got in the way, as it usually does

Thanks for asking tho
    Last edited by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]; 11-18-10 at 11:08 PM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA] View Post
    Yes, I did.. Took me a ton of googling, and sifting thru about a trillion threads on various message boards. Ended up having to use a couple of settings in xorg.conf i never een knew existed:
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
        DisplaySize       337 269
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Option       "DPI"     "96x96"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes      "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    There's more in there, but I edited it out for brevity. I did try manually installing the nvidia driver (version 195 is installed by default from Mint9). But there was no change using v250. So I removed it, and went back to the default version, and continued tinkering with xorg.conf. I was so happy when I finally had 1280x1024, which, btw, is a 5:4 AR, not the usual 4:3 or 16:9 used by most displays....
    I guess I could have posted my own the other day.

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)  Fri Aug 14 17:54:58 PDT 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from data in "/etc/conf.d/gpm"
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
        Option         "XkbLayout" "en_US"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        Option         "Coolbits" "1"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    6r39 7r199

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Yeah.. DId you notice the DisplaySize directive in my post? That's the size in millimeters of my actual screen.. I never even knew there was such a thing.. I could solve all of these X problems if i replaced the VGA cable on my monitor.. But that's too mcuh work lol