Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought for the Day

Diamond Member

Re: Thought for the Day

“You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”

― Brigham Young

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honour trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then — to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the only thing for you. Look what a lot of things there are to learn.”

― T.H. White, The Once and Future King

“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.”

― Margaret Mead

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”

― Confucius

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.”

― Aristotle

“Do not train a child to learn by force or harshness; but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each.”

― Plato

“Eragon looked back at him, confused. "I don't understand."
    "Of course you don't," said Brom impatiently. "That's why I'm teaching you and not the other way around.”

― Christopher Paolini, Eragon

“The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living differ from the dead.”

― Aristotle

“Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.”

― Isaac Asimov

“I go to school, but I never learn what I want to know.”

― Bill Watterson, The Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes

All education should have a moral component, educate any person without looking to his moral and you may have someone very dangerous to society and to yourself.

― Someone Like Me

"“Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."

Matthew 7:6 NIV
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Diamond Member

I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.

Vincent Van Gogh

Today I begin to understand what love must be, if it exists... When we are parted, we each feel the lack of the other half of ourselves. We are incomplete like a book in two volumes of which the first has been lost. That is what I imagine love to be: incompleteness in absence.

Edmond de Goncourt

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Carl Sagan

Diamond Member

It's go, go, go. I'm a go-getter, but I need rest and silence, just to sit around and think about things.

Someone Like Me

I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong.

John Lennon

Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more.

Virginia Woolf

Diamond Member

Bulls need some fun also ...

Diamond Member

“Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby.. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit!”

― Erick S. Gray

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.”

― Philip K. Dick, I Hope I Shall Arrive Soon

“A man with outward courage dares to die; a man with inner courage dares to live.”

― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

― Erick S. Gray

“Everyone has the right to doubt everything as often as he pleases and the duty to do it at least once. No way of looking at things is too sacred to be reconsidered. No way of doing things is beyond improvement.”

― Edward de Bono, The Use of Lateral Thinking

Diamond Member

And even that life give us reasons for bitterness and many others to become castles of ups and insurmountable walls, sometimes life makes us push the button and there are three identical symbols with the sound of coins falling, as in the films. The jackpot of this life are the people with whom we crossed and we recognize as our own.

It is this ability to meet ourselves, we lower the defenses and ask for lap. The greatest wealth of this life [in addition to the privilege of having health] is making friends. As a Portuguese song goes: If you care for me, I will care for you too.

Someone Like Me

Diamond Member

“To dream anything that you want to dream. That's the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do. That is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself to test your limits. That is the courage to succeed.”

Bernard Edmonds

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.

Albert Einstein

Diamond Member

Illusion is needed to disguise the emptiness within.

Arthur Erickson

One cannot long remain so absorbed in contemplation of emptiness without being increasingly attracted to it. In vain, one bestows on it the name of infinity; this does not change its nature.

Emile Durkheim

To fake it is to stand guard over emptiness.

Arthur Herzog

Diamond Member

Diamond Member

“You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.”

Winston Churchill

Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast