Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PrimeGrid: The Equinox Challenge in 5 days

Past Administrator

Re: PrimeGrid: The Equinox Challenge in 5 days

Oooops. Forgot to setup my comps for this. One box has some half finished Prima to chew through but the others are now digital termites.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Ahhh ... Hopefully the remain time left is way off all my Wu's are saying 400 hours left. What are you guys seeing?

Past Administrator

One box is showing 94+ hours to complete but the average wu is ~3.1% complete at ~2.5 hours of crunching. That comes out to about 80 hours each.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

7.5 hours in and a Russian has over 112,000 points turned in?

He running a Super Cray? thumbdown.gif

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Shurtz View Post
    7.5 hours in and a Russian has over 112,000 points turned in?

He running a Super Cray? thumbdown.gif
    My fastest box (3 GHz) is only a third of the way done at 18 hours. Usually, the fastest participants get their first one done when I'm at about 60%. I have no idea how someone would have points already.
    6r39 7r199

Tomis

Started late and I am at 13 hour with 56% wish I remembered to set it up on time.

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    My fastest box (3 GHz) is only a third of the way done at 18 hours. Usually, the fastest participants get their first one done when I'm at about 60%. I have no idea how someone would have points already.
    I forgot about this till yesterday when I saw a notice on a new BOINC manager install for a Windows system.

My quad runs at 2.3GHz. I did the math a few minutes ago and there is no way I will have any WUs done BEFORE the time is up. I have over 250 hours to go. The site shows that the "average user" takes under 65 hours to run. Well, I do not have a slow system. It was in the top third of the fastest ones out there when I bought it last year. So unless people are all running super-speed CPUs, the "average" figures are not correct. They should start looking at average speeds for each class of CPU. If I knew yesterday that I would not complete a WU with this challenge, I would not have started any. I am still still running 2 WUs, but the other two that was running were deleted after 18 hours of crunching. Believe it or not, PG had 8 more in my queue. I have it set for .25 days worth of work. When it would take 3 days with their average time and 6 days for the estimate in the queue, the system gives me 2 more per core with the "give me a quarter day's worth of work in the queue" setting.

This seems to be the way PG is going. PPS Sieve use to run so I could run over 8 or more per day. Now I am lucky to run 4 of them in one day. I use to run it most of the time and earned over 2M credit in it over the past 2 years. Now I will not. Running PG projects are not worth the time for the amount of credits it takes. 3 times the time needed to crunch and half the credits is what PG seems to me now.

If this is the way PG is going, I may not do any more challenges. The last one found me having the second set of WUs finish several hours after the time was up. That was when I found out that PPS Sieve no longer was going to work for me.

Cruncher Pete

Thank you krakedpress for your insight. I am sure it will be a very helpful post for a lot of people. I think PrimeGrid is following the path of the greedy corporate sector who need to maintain their profit margin for the benefit of their sharholders. As the price of the product increases, less and less people can afford to buy it which leaves them no choice but to yet increase the price again. Eventually, they wake up that nobody can afford their product so they declare bankruptsy, change the name of the corporation and start again selling the same product.

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...

Cappy

just got onboard now,,,, sry for the delay but forgot all about it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12