Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Hangs During SetUp

Administrator

Re: Computer Hangs During SetUp

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    I'm currently working off the theory that this is not a HDD issue - because I've tried three different HDDs in there.

I'm also beginning to think that this may be some other hardware failure - I'm going to start futzing with things later today.

@FS: Thanks for those thoughts: No jumpers, and I'm going to try a real XP disk in a while.
    You have far more patience than I do; at this point this Dell 2400 would be getting the Heather LaCroix treatment (please see link at ~3.00 minute mark) with her 10 gauge shotgun about now.
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 11-07-10 at 02:56 PM.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    1) Double check the jumper(s) on the HDD. Many IDE drives do not require the presence of a jumper for a single "Master" drive while others do.

2) Boot the Dell with a Linux Live-CD like Ubuntu. Run gparted (a partition manager) to remove ALL partitions, including that friggin hidden Dell partition, form the HDD and format it as either fat32 or NTFS.

3) Do NOT use the Dell installation disk. Use a retail Windows install CD. If you do not have one for the version of Windows you have the license for let me know and I can Rapidshare an iso of it for you or you can DL it from me via FTP.

Edit: What is the make and model of the HDD?
    Beat me to it. I was about to suggest items 1 and 2. If none of that works, I'd consider looking far a firmware update. I was able to find firmware for my Inspiron 530, so it stands to reason there is firmware for that Dell. I don't know if it makes a difference, but also check the system time and make sure you have a fresh CMOS battery.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    Beat me to it. I was about to suggest items 1 and 2. If none of that works, I'd consider looking far a firmware update. I was able to find firmware for my Inspiron 530, so it stands to reason there is firmware for that Dell. I don't know if it makes a difference, but also check the system time and make sure you have a fresh CMOS battery.
    Duh!!! Can't believe I overlooked that one. Excellent suggestion trigggl.

I'm currently working off the theory that this is not a HDD issue - because I've tried three different HDDs in there.

I'm also beginning to think that this may be some other hardware failure - I'm going to start futzing with things later today.
    I would suggest making sure the BIOS can detect the HDD. Most BIOS's default to autodetect. Go through the IDE settings to see if the HDD make and model is listed. Also examine the pins of the IDE port on the motherboard. Look for oxidized or bent/broken pins. And lastly, try a different IDE cable as the current one may have a faulty connection.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Used a real XP install disk, and am making progress. The computer freezes rightafter the screen with the MS window...

I have half a mind to just do what STM suggested and locate a shot gun...

Gold Member

Used a real XP install disk, and am making progress. The computer freezes rightafter the screen with the MS window...

I have half a mind to just do what STM suggested and locate a shot gun...
    I'd go with a cross bow, or if you can't afford one, a compound bow.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

I've had another break-through. I made myself bleed. This usually doesn't happen on a project unless I'm nearing a successful conclusion...

Note: I didn't make myself bleed doing anything software related. Pulling out the heatsink and CPU to clean and reseat got me.

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

You might try changing the RAM as well.. I had an old rig once that gave me that error until I changed the RAM. memtest86+ revealed that there was a faulty stick..

Gold Member

I've had another break-through. I made myself bleed. This usually doesn't happen on a project unless I'm nearing a successful conclusion...

Note: I didn't make myself bleed doing anything software related. Pulling out the heatsink and CPU to clean and reseat got me.
    In my days working on helicopter radios in the Army I found that a hammer is a great diagnostic tool. Just keep hitting things until it stops working and then you'll know what the problem is. This method is most effective when you use a rubber mallet. Metal hammers tend to produce false positives.
    6r39 7r199

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    In my days working on helicopter radios in the Army I found that a hammer is a great diagnostic tool. Just keep hitting things until it stops working and then you'll know what the problem is. This method is most effective when you use a rubber mallet. Metal hammers tend to produce false positives.
    That kinda goes along with what my dad used to tell me.. All you need to fix anything is a roll of duct tape and a hammer

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA] View Post
    That kinda goes along with what my dad used to tell me.. All you need to fix anything is a roll of duct tape and a hammer
    That's entirely a lie - you also need WD-40 for things that don't move, but should...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast