Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's up with HDD prices???

Gold Member

Re: What's up with HDD prices???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...drives&x=0&y=0

If you can use one of these they aren't as pricey as the new ones. I have an 80gb coming for a repair project and I have used them before with no problems. Let's face it I am cheap!

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Platinum Member

Past Administrator

Since I can't sleep, and puttsin around as my sister is fond of saying, I was on Newegg and noticed that some of the Seagate HDD prices seemed lower then the current average.

So I took a closer look at the Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM which is now listed at $84.99. And although it is still $50 over the summer lows it is $25 cheaper then several weeks ago.

Take a look see at the Camelizer price chart (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Since I can't sleep, and puttsin around as my sister is fond of saying, I was on Newegg and noticed that some of the Seagate HDD prices seemed lower then the current average.

So I took a closer look at the Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM which is now listed at $84.99. And although it is still $50 over the summer lows it is $25 cheaper then several weeks ago.

Take a look see at the Camelizer price chart (Link)
    Looks like the shortage could last well into the 2nd quarter of 2012. Having Seagate pick up market shares may force WD to drop prices. Got to love competition.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Looks like the shortage could last well into the 2nd quarter of 2012. Having Seagate pick up market shares may force WD to drop prices. Got to love competition.
    Yeah, I haven't looked into it yet to confirm, but it appears to me that SSD price drops have slowed down. It is logical to assume that WD, Hitachi and others are reevaluating marketing strategies and product road maps/time lines regarding their entrance into the SSD foray. You may end up seeing WD buy up OCZ in order to remain competitive to Seagate.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Has anyone else noticed the recent drop in SSD prices? More so in the smaller sizes like 60GB. ex. Newegg has the OCZ Agility 3 60GB selling for $54.99 after rebate! Close to a $30 price drop in two months.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator
    That's a good thing because they are nice and fast; 60GB is more than plenty for a crunching rig or an OS drive for some high speed love!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Silver Member

As far as HDDs go are the current prices the new normal? It's been months since they've gotten stuff back up but I don't much of a change in prices.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Past Administrator

From my point of view I believe Hitachi and Seagate have decided to maximize profits by keeping prices inflated. WD and others suffered greater damage to their fabrication plants and so cannot compete. That lack of competition allows for this form of market manipulation. SSD prices have been dropping at a faster rate since the HHD plants went offline. So this transition to new storage tech is also affecting HHD prices.

So to answer your question, HDD prices will come down some more but will not match the pre-flood lows. The good news is when the next-gen SSDs hit the market, current-gen projects will drop to all time lows.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Yeah, I haven't looked into it yet to confirm, but it appears to me that SSD price drops have slowed down. It is logical to assume that WD, Hitachi and others are reevaluating marketing strategies and product road maps/time lines regarding their entrance into the SSD foray. You may end up seeing WD buy up OCZ in order to remain competitive to Seagate.
    Well, I was on the right track.... If you have perused Newegg lately, you may have noticed HDDs from a new company called HGST, which is Hitachi Global Storage Technologies. It's new in the sense that it is now a subsidiary of Western Digital. WD acquired HGST in March of this year for $4.8 Billion. My thinking is that as Hitachi has a huge presence in the solid state component market. Their extensive knowledge in this area can help WD accelerate their entrance into the SSD segment. The acquisition will certainly help WD's short term profits but at the expense of inflated HHD retail prices. Hitachi was one of those quite companies that made its money via mass sales, pressuring competitors to match them.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast