Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greets

Bear

Re: Greets

Wow, thanks for all the replies! This is the most active board I've been on in a while! Sad, but true.

I just fired up the netbook and have Yafu going on that. Got the laptop going with Einstein and SETI. These 2 don't have seperate GPU's (I'm poor! LOL). I'll get back to you on the GPU on the main box. I think it's a Sapphire Radeon 9250, but it's been awhile since I looked at it. The daughter is on it at the moment.

Will check in later. Off to programming class.

Bear

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    ...Got the laptop going with Einstein and SETI. These 2 don't have seperate GPU's (I'm poor! LOL). I'll get back to you on the GPU...
    Bear, welcome to the SETI.USA family, and please take my message the right way: today is a turning point for your psyche. You are not poor; I am sure you have an awesome Real Life (R.L. on these boards) family, and now you have us, the best 'Crunching Family" in BOINC Land. If you're one of us, we've got your back. Just send out a holler if you ever need any help.
    What you are is broke. Poor is a state of mind, and unfortunately, there is no cure for it. Broke is a temporary lack of funding that will be remedied in the future. I learned that "mindset" lesson the hard way, even as a doc one has those problems!
    Wishing you the best in your programming studies, and appreciate all your help with the crunching. Whether it is any model CPU or GPU you have - as one of the guys said above, it matters not if you have 1 rig or 10, if you are part of SETI.USA.
    Now, do be warned, there is this thing going around BOINC Land called the Crunching Bug, and if it bites you...well, you COULD end up with those 10 rigs in a real hurry some how!
    Pops

Past Admin

Wow, thanks for all the replies! This is the most active board I've been on in a while! Sad, but true.

Will check in later. Off to programming class.

Bear
    Need any help with the class just ask. While I don't know much about programming others on this team do know a thing or two and are the best around.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Need any help with the class just ask. While I don't know much about programming others on this team do know a thing or two and are the best around.
    What forum would we post programming questions in? Just wondering as I was going to try and learn Lua programming.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    What forum would we post programming questions in? Just wondering as I was going to try and learn Lua programming.
    Software, The Lounge, should be ok.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Software, The Lounge, should be ok.
    ok, thanks!

Bear

GPU is a Sapphire Radeon 4800 Series, 512mb ram.

DrPop, you are very correct. I use my terminology somewhat loosely at times

Past Administrator

GPU is a Sapphire Radeon 4800 Series...
    I would try sticking it on Collatz and see what you get. Make sure you have a fairly new set of Catalyst drivers installed, because the newer ones will have the Stream / OpenCL API built into them. If yours are old, you will need to go to AMD.com and download some new ones (uninstall your old drivers first!). Then, you will have to attach to Collatz@home, and go into your account settings there and modify your preferences at the project to accept ATI GPU work units. That will be a nice "medium" intensity & very stable project utilizing Integer math, so you can monitor the heat and stability of the card before you try something more intense on it.

Platinum Member

Depending on whether it's a 4850 or better, you should be able to get about 70K to 90K a day. Other options for projects are Milkyway and MooWrapper. Other benefits are free home heating!

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Bear

Hear ya on the heat. My laptop gets hot enough to burn my poor leg! My PC runs around 80C. Yes, I do in fact know that temp is waaay hot. Unless I can figure out a cheap liquid cooling solution I'm stuck with that. Darn thing has run hot since the day I built it. Has never run below 36C. Oh well.

And DrPop, you are right. Funding is always an issue with me, but the family is awesome. Once I get this programming thing figured out I'll be fine. Should have done this 20 years ago, but cest la vie.

Bear

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast