Page 50 of 133 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke the menace

Diamond Member

Re: Duke the menace

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.

Harriet Tubman
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Diamond Member

History of Lisbon VIII

The Revolution of 1910

With the emergence of compromise between the rightmost Liberals and conservatives over moderates, who spoke on Constitutional Monarchy, the lack of development and reforms still outstanding in the country led to more leftist wing or radical Liberals, constituted mainly by classes averages to recast its political objectives. Thus was born the Republican Party that advocated radical liberal reforms such as universal suffrage, the end of privileges to the Catholic Church and rents to the nobles, and above all the overthrow of a political elite increasingly discredited by corruption and incompetence. The country is indebted and is increasingly dependent on the Northern Countries. A catharses episode was undoubtedly the humiliation against the English Ultimatum, by an allied nation ( Pink Map crisis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Map ).

The conditions that made possible the rise to the power of the Republicans were mostly economic. In the late nineteenth century, there was a bit slow and vigorous industrialization in Portugal, but it was concentrated more than enough in Lisbon. Despite the country's people continue rural and mostly Catholic, and supporting the King and the Church, a new class is born in Lisbon (and to a lesser degree in Porto and Beira) sharing most progressive ideas: the proletariat. The large industry Lisbon is then the manufacture of tobacco, but there are also factories of textiles, glass, rubber and preserves, among many others. In total, at the end of the nineteenth century there would be many tens of thousands of workers in industries a total population of over 300,000 people. The first "industrial zones" are neighborhoods of Lisbon (Alcantara, Bom Successo and Santo Amaro) thanks to electricity production coming from Tagus Central. The living conditions for the new popular class of Lisbon are miserable. Coming in large numbers from rural areas with nothing settled in large slums on the outskirts of the city, and it is common for children to work long hours in factories. Others come in large groups from the same village, and settle in the abandoned fields in nuclei enclosed within the city, known for patios or backyards (very common in Grace). There were the first workers' districts, whose houses are built at minimal cost for entrepreneurs to attract work-power.

Then come the first unions, many of which are affiliated with anarchists. Instead of joining the new Marxist parties in other European countries, other workers gather around the middle classes and professionals (doctors and lawyers) of the Republican Party. As a result, the Party, very weak in the north of the country (with the exception of Porto), gained increasing influence in the capital. Despite championing the property and the free market, the Republicans promise better working conditions and social measures. However the upper classes still live in a society apart, and are not able to respond to new demands except with repression. The outcome measures are increasingly violent.

Alarmed elites impose the dictatorship in 1907 with João Franco, but it is too late. In 1908 the royal family suffers an attack that killed the King Don Carlos and Crowned Prince of Portugal, probably in an action performed by anarchists (who attack public figures in this period in Europe). In 1909 the workers of Lisbon organized extensive strikes. In 1910 Lisbon revolt finally. The city's population form barricades in the streets and are distributed weapons. The armies ordered to repress the revolution are dismembered by defections. The rest of the country follows the capital and accepted the republican regime then proclaimed, although still deeply rural, Catholic and conservative. It is proclaimed the First Republic.

Liberal measures are enacted: supporting social workers, with the creation of the welfare state, the right to strike, ending the privileges of the Church and nobility, right to divorce. Taxes are modified, a model that was based on contributions from workers and middle classes, to one that taxed the rich more.

Tomorrow The Republic. The last period and post about Lisbon.

Diamond Member

How the Higgs Boson Might Spell Doom for the Universe

Under the simplest assumptions, the measured mass of the Higgs could mean the universe is unstable and destined to fall apart. But don’t worry—it won’t happen for billions of eons

By Saswato R. Das

Physicists recently confirmed that the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, the particle physics laboratory in Geneva, had indeed found a Higgs boson last July, marking a culmination of one of the longest and most expensive searches in science.

The finding also means that our universe could be doomed to fall apart. "If you use all the physics that we know now and you do what you think is a straightforward calculation, it is bad news," says Joseph Lykken, a theorist who works at the Fermilab National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois. "It may be that the universe we live in is inherently unstable."

More on http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...AT_BS_20130329

Diamond Member

NICE

teamdaily.php.jpg

Team crunching at NFS but it was not a good image I will post the link.

Last edited by Duke of Buckingham; 03-31-13 at 02:33 AM.

Diamond Member

Gorgeous dawn

Each flower of light shining in the distance is a happy landing that awaits us beyond earthly battles. To achieve this it is necessary to descend to the valleys in human clothes of dense matter in order to weave the delicate wings of light rise up in their plans almost divine. Without the compassionate and merciful death, that would not be possible. Step by step, the traveler wins distances in the physical world. Likewise, thanks to the life-death, life-after-death disappear abysses that mediate between the sublime homes flying in breadth and tiny Earth where we are.

Diamond Member

Diamond Member

When I wake up every morning, I start dreaming with my eyes open.

Dreams fill my world and my life, I wouldn't know how to live in another way.

Miracle is to give dreams the same energy and commitment that we give to our fears

Gold Member

I hope you had a good Easter. For us we went to church, then my son searched for eggs, and we had a nice lunch (eggs, turkey sausage, blintzes, and fruit salad). Then my parents came over and we had an Easter dinner (ham (and chicken for me), au gratin potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, and jello).

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    I hope you had a good Easter. For us we went to church, then my son searched for eggs, and we had a nice lunch (eggs, turkey sausage, blintzes, and fruit salad). Then my parents came over and we had an Easter dinner (ham (and chicken for me), au gratin potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, and jello).
    Me and my family had a nice day. We lunched lamb in the oven at dinner only tea and some sweets. I can see you and your family had a very good day.

I have no pictures but it is more or less like this one.
    Last edited by Duke of Buckingham; 04-01-13 at 02:09 PM.

Diamond Member

Today I am tired so I will dream with my eyes closed.

Believe in you.

Dreams are like stars...you may never touch them, but if you follow them they will lead you to your destiny.

Dreaming Duke

Page 50 of 133 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast