Thread: If Bulldozer is so bad...

Past Administrator

If Bulldozer is so bad...

I don't get this. If Bulldozer is so bad, then why is Newegg sold out of AMD FX-8150 CPUs? I just found out from ASRock that they have a beta bios for my board that will support one, so I figured I'd go see the price. They are sold out? Are the yields really *that* bad, or have they actually sold a few of these puppies?

Past Administrator

Re: If Bulldozer is so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I don't get this. If Bulldozer is so bad, then why is Newegg sold out of AMD FX-8150 CPUs? I just found out from ASRock that they have a beta bios for my board that will support one, so I figured I'd go see the price. They are sold out? Are the yields really *that* bad, or have they actually sold a few of these puppies?
    Sold out doesn't necessarily mean runaway sales. Neweggs first pre-order from AMD could/should have been relatively small. I'm sure NE has people who's primary job is to find and read everything they can on products and end-user reaction. My guess is they have seen all the blowback and might be limiting or stalling re-orders to AMD. It's what I would do.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Lightbulb Re: If Bulldozer is so bad...

Performance wise, two extra cores is all you get.

The real benefit for these AMD procressors comes from being able to use 1866Mhz DDR3 memory. Your motherboard may take the new Bulldozer but if cannot keep up with the memory demands, the bulldozer could be useless for you.
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Past Administrator

Ah, OK. Thanks for the tip. It seems pointless to spend that kind of money on a CPU these days, when my X6 1100T is keeping up well enough. I suppose the best ROI would be to use that $ on a GTX 570 or a (used) HD5970.

Past Admin

Ah, OK. Thanks for the tip. It seems pointless to spend that kind of money on a CPU these days, when my X6 1100T is keeping up well enough. I suppose the best ROI would be to use that $ on a GTX 570 or a (used) HD5970.
    +1

I am not spending one dime on CPU´s after my next big upgrade. When/if I get a 8-core beast I should be covered for quite some time....
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28´th December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts