Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD OPTERON 6272 ON NEWEGG.COM NOW!

Past Admin

Re: AMD OPTERON 6272 ON NEWEGG.COM NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Thanks for the info rgathright! I think I found my new Xmas present!
    LOL, go for it..

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle70ss View Post
    So can I run my 2 ati 5570's and nvidia 8400 together on ASUS P8z68-v pro mobo? Win 7 x64

I know the 8400gs won't put too much of a dent, but I figure it could finish some mini-collatz before the deadline.
    That is correct. I have had x2 4850s & x1 8800GT running together in my desktop.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Wow. That is a lot of CPU power in one rig! Wonder how the production would compare to same $ amount of S.B. i7 power? Of course, doing it that way, you would be spread over multiple rigs, where this is just one monster!

Past Admin

That is one awesome rig!

It makes one wonder a bit...Why build multiple boxes? Just go for one truely insane monster!! I bet there´s some electricity to be saved that way....
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28´th December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Cool Re: AMD OPTERON 6272 ON NEWEGG.COM NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    That is one awesome rig!

It makes one wonder a bit...Why build multiple boxes? Just go for one truely insane monster!! I bet there´s some electricity to be saved that way....
    Yes, you save a lot of power going this route.

For those of you who like to be #1, my dual AMD Opteron 6128 system is leading the pack on Yafu. Now, give Shiva credit, his Intel i7 is really doing an impressive job at #2 computer overall in Yafu.

ASUS KGPE-D16 motherboard LEADS YAFU!

Expect the same results with any CPU based project if you decided to get two of these new 16 core cpus in a single motherboard.

Gotta go, very tired from work today... working hard to earn my AMD Opteron 6272's the old fashioned way!
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Diamond Member

The "hidden" cost for the high thread/core systems is the RAM. Each thread should have at least 2gb RAM. Sure you can get by with less. But more and more projects are requiring more RAM per task. And while the number of threads per chip is climbing, the number of DIMM slots per mobo is not. With a 32 thread system, for example, you need 64gb. This particular mobo has 16 slots, so you can get away with 4gb DIMMs. But if you had less slots, you would be forced into 8gb DIMMs, which are not yet cheap (2-3x the cost of 4gb). So be sure to look at the threads per DIMM count when considering a build.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Thanks rgathright and Z, for the info. So when specing out a build like this, if I am doing good on everything but YAFU RAM wise, and I have 8GB for a six core...that means I would need 6*8 or at least 48GB minimum? So I see where you would just do 64GB to make it even...32 for each CPU.

Now just to get a build started, could one put in, say 32GB and be good for most projects? That would be 1GB per thread.

Silver Member

I would love to build a monster like this and have the cash but feel it is beyond my scope to do the job properly and without mishap. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make this happen?

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkarl1 View Post
    I would love to build a monster like this and have the cash but feel it is beyond my scope to do the job properly and without mishap. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make this happen?
    Unless you are a fan of CPU projects (which is alrigth!) the absolute fastest way to make credits is buying a videocard to crunch with!

You could however look into 2. hand XEON setups or something in that neighborhood - that migth help digest the money part a little.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28´th December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Silver Member

Really looking to just buy one monster to crunch with. I will of course add video cards to the box. It is time to update my computer. I am trying to see if anyone is able to help me get this thing put together as I am a little worried I might brick something along the way.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast