Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ps_separation_xx_xx_free errors

krazy k

Re: ps_separation_xx_xx_free errors

I'm having this same problem with a remote machine. The MW ps_sep... tasks fail out after just a second or so.
    BOINC 6.12.34, catalyst 12.1, win 7 x64 with a 4850.

I found a 4870 on craigslist and I'm picking that up in a few hours, so I will find out if it's the card.

It seems to be the 4850 as Al stated, but I can confirm that this afternoon.

Gold Member

I had to upgrade to 12.1. Supposedly, that has the fix for the 4870. It got me crunching (until the card crashed). I'd say install 12.1 and reboot. I think the reboot is definitely a good idea.
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

Can confirm the issue. my 4850x2 no longer works using driver version 12.1 windows 7 64bit

was working not to long ago when i upgraded from 11.12 havent reinstalled the sdk but will give that a shoot once i get a chance..

krazy k

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I had to upgrade to 12.1. Supposedly, that has the fix for the 4870. It got me crunching (until the card crashed). I'd say install 12.1 and reboot. I think the reboot is definitely a good idea.
    The new drivers did the trick. Both cards are up and running.

I ended up putting the 4870 in the system with the 4830. I thought it was the -50 but it wasn't. That card had a seven day avg of 23k on MW. The -70 pulled down 60k the first day it was installed in the old machine, and the -30 was put in a different machine and recorded almost 40k the first day.

I expect the number to settle down after a few days, but I don't know what surprises me more. The -30 getting more in a different machine with an identical processor or the -70 only getting 50% more points. The price was right and I'm going to keep my eyes open on craigslist for another 4870. Is there a list of AMD cards by points anywhere on the forums?

Silver Member

ill have to try the 4850x2 again and see if i can get it to work.. maybe i need to reinstall the sdk with the new drivers.

krazy k

Give 'er hell. If you're just going to sit on it though then sell it to me. I have an 8800GTS that errors out on a lot of tasks. I think it's because it's paired with the GTX 480 and the tasks aren't compatible. I'll make that 4850x2 fit somewhere!

Silver Member

yeap that did the trick moved it to another box and she's now full steam on MW.. woot thanks for the heads up..

edit: Think i didnt have enough ram for it had dirt on cpu and the nvidia plus MW/collatz combo. only have 2g of ram on windows 7 64bit so probably need to find me some used ddr2 memory just so dang expensive compared to the ddr3 its a hard pill to swallow, ya know!
    Last edited by coronicus; 02-13-12 at 12:51 AM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    yeap that did the trick moved it to another box and she's now full steam on MW.. woot thanks for the heads up..

edit: Think i didnt have enough ram for it had dirt on cpu and the nvidia plus MW/collatz combo. only have 2g of ram on windows 7 64bit so probably need to find me some used ddr2 memory just so dang expensive compared to the ddr3 its a hard pill to swallow, ya know!
    I might have some you can have. Let me look.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12