Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First nite cruching and no flames...

Silver Member

First nite cruching and no flames...

WOOT all 16 machines are up and running and made it through nite one.... The wife said the kitchen was nice and toastie.... You would think that would get me breakfast in bed right??? nope i was the one that got to enjoy the warm kitchen this mornin.. lol...

Got the powersupply up and running last night took me a while to tame the 4850x2... With all the excitement in trying to get this up and running didnt realized that the gpu would not fit any of my cases.. ugh... So i decided why do i need a case lmao... so now its on a motherboard tray from an old server casing laying on my desk woot its so beautiful but the my wife didnt think so... hehe... gonna have to find my digital camera to post some pics...

had very few errors think mostly user errors on my end will see by tomorow wether its an issue had down clocked all my video cards by 50mhz for the time being till i was comfotable to run em without monitoring... Speaking of monitoring what are some of the software you folks like to use... Trying a few of em like cpuid but would like one that can send messages or atleast beep alerts if a certain temp shows up if you got a suggestions i would love to here it. mind you i have 16 machines so need something rather inexpensive.

Thank again for the help and im sure ill be asking for more... Happy crunching everyone..

Gold Member

Re: First nite cruching and no flames...

Sounds like you got everything working just fine. Welcome back.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Awesome! That is a lot of hardware to maintain.

For controlling GPUs I use MSI Afterburner. Offhand I am not aware of any utilities that offer alerts for high temps. Maybe CPUID's Hardware monitor might do the job. Most likely that feature will only be available in the Pro aka "Paid" version
    Another potential could be GPU-Z. I'll do some checking.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

You could use BoincTasks to manage all of your boinc clients from a single machine and use Tthrottle to control temperatures. Both from the same developer. If you want a simple visual temp display try Coretemp.

Diamond Member

I had some problems also

My computer was slightly hot

I asked the opinion of a good friend

I followed the instructions

and we made a barbacue party

Partying Duke

Past Administrator

Awesome, man - glad to have you back and firing up the rigs for winter! Spingadus had some good ideas for software to use, I would go with that suggestion and try it. I've never had to monitor that many rigs, though!

@Duke - nice pics as usual; I really like the one with the burned out case and the meat skewers over it!

Silver Member

Sweet thanks for all the info Fire$torm

Cant get msi afterburner to work corectly with the dual amd setup 4850x2 and 5770 it displays everything just wont let me control the clock speed or fan speed on the 4850x2 but will on the 5770. Curently using the evga percision for the nvidia GPU and its doing the job atm...

I really like CPUID HM but havent tried the pro version yet im hoping to get bointask to do it then i can have it all in one place which would be great..

Curently testing out bointask but having a few issue with the network not passing traffic but i like it so far. havent dealt with the temp option not sure if i have to install this on all the machines or not but will fiddle with it once i get the network to talk.. 3 routers is a pain... Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT in bridge mode wireless to the main bellsouth router with the same ip scheme is working perfectly but the linksys e2000 factory is on another ip scheme and directly connected to the bellsouth router which i though was doing ok since i could access files on the main network but for some reason its not passing something for boinctask might have to install DD-WRT on it as well just scared to flash it and loose it if i make a mistake.

coretemp i like the overheat options on it but seems to only work on the cpu but still handy and using it now on the e8400 OC... thanks for the heads up spingadus

So far so good on temps and another somewhat smooth night only a few errors on some boxes. The major errors im having is with WUProp complaining about CPU bad identification and even got a pm from them.. not sure what to do i tried to enter the info but its not working right and havent received a message back from them.

Oh and Duke that was awesome...

Past Administrator

Afterburner: This utility can control ATI/AMD & nVidia cards. EVGA Precision is a good utility though. The issue with AB may be that you need to "Unlock" it. See this ---> http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

Note: I do have an issue with AB but from my searches on the net, I am the only one with it (Figures, right?) In order for me to get ATI OC to stick I had to take "Ownership" of AB's folder and then un-check Read Only permissions for the folder and its contents via the folder properties and click apply. And any time I made major changes to any settings in AB I have to redo the read permissions. This goes for all my Win7 boxes.

Bointask: Double check your firewall settings for this app. Look for "Stateful Packet Inspection" or "Stateful Inspection". Disable it and it may fix the connection issue. Also check the FW for UDP protocol rules as that app may require it. If your FW has a learning mode, give it a try.

F$

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Whoot, Whoot. 16 rigs all fired up!! Glad to have you back.

Silver Member

Heya folks little update... Tried all the tricks on the network and just couldnt get traffic to talk to the 25.1 from the 1.1 so i gave up and took the risk to flash the router and everything went well so now everyone is on the 1.1 and talking like they should be... phew.. Bionctask is growing on me but still havent played with the advanced features yet.

Afterburner scared the piss out of me after installing and following the info i started getting bsod and wouldnt boot up into windows... after many reboots and finally finding the go back to setting its back up and running.. I think if i had the same series cards this might have worked well but for some reason having a 4850 with a 5770 they are not getting allong thinking it has something to do with the drivers so gonna have to seperate these two cards just havent figured how im gonna do it... maybe bench the 5770 since i got a 8800gt that just sitting around.. dont have enough pcix slots.. Also moo is not performing well with this combo seems to be getting low numbers compared to others but im not 100% since im still trying to figure out what the norm should be.

A Buddy sent me his old rig its a 3000+ single core amd with a pcix but i couldnt fit the 8800gt cause of a dumb capaciter in the way so gonna try one of these pcix ribbon extender cables not sure if it will work but for 5$ worth a shoot.

Blackfriday is coming up and im still debating about ordering new equipment depends on sales. Been waiting for so long at this point i dont know if i can wait for ivy. This e8400 starting to suck for games cant play civ5 worth a dam even at lowest settings.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks again for the tips..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast