Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know why I left Seti

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member

I know why I left Seti

The credits suck lol. My full array and im only pulling maybe 50k points a day.. how pathetic. Going from 800k+ daily.. it sure does seem off.

Tho Imagine if Seti@home was competitive with credits? Im sure their system couldnt handle the massive amount of people trying to work the project.. heck I think it already has issues with that.

Dont think ill be sticking here long.. maybe hit 1 mill and call it done.

Seem strange tho considering most of us probably came from Seti@home.. and now not so many of us still actively crunch it.. I know I dont.

Gold Member

Re: I know why I left Seti

Well, as long as they have the help they need, there's really no reason to raise credits. I suppose the same could be said for WCG.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Yeah, I know what you mean. Every time I think about going for a 1Mil MM in SETI, I just can't bring myself to do it because of the low credits. I mean, I would have to give up something like 9 or 10 million credits in DiRT just to get the 650K I would need to hit 1Mil at SETI. If I was a true MMer I might be more tempted ... but even then, that's a hard sell.

Cruncher Pete

I left for the same reasons like most of you and do not intend to return soon. Having said that, I won't knock SETI for we still have a lot of newbies who are interested in searching for that elusive green man and in fact it is the backbone of our silent crunchers something like 1500 of them. Let us hope that once our Newsletter reaches them we might have some converts who will help us with better scoring projects to get us to the top.

Past Administrator

@C.P. - true, SETI@Home is like the gateway drug to Crunching!!!

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    @C.P. - true, SETI@Home is like the gateway drug to Crunching!!!
    So true. It's what got me hooked.

Gold Member

I'm with DrPop. I got 699K in SETI the first year I joined BOINC - mainly because I had crunched SETI classic years before. But, after trying several other projects and seeing how bad the SETI credits were, I haven't crunched it ever since. Even with GPU crunching I can't bring myself to go for the 1Mil MM.

When the SETI GPU apps first came out, they really hurt SETI because SETI had (and still has?) an background task that calculates the average credit for each type of host and adjusts the credit accordingly. So, as the SETI apps get better and better, the credit keeps getting adjusted downwards to make up for it. Rather than reward people running opt apps which complete more work in the same time, it essentially means that everyone NOT running the opt apps gets penalized because the credit gets lowered such that the opt app is the new standard. When the GPU apps first came out, they were seen as really, really fast optimized apps. That led to even lower credit. Then the complaints start that all the other projects are granting too much credit. Really? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you lower your credit the others will be higher than yours. Duh! But, we don't have to worry any more. We now we have the "new credit system" which will make it all fair.

...and they lived happily ever after. Not.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Friend of SETI.USA

I was running Pre Alpha SETI BOINC in late 2002, I'm not talking about SETI Classic which I was running long before that but BOINC SETI@home. As far as I am concerned they treated us like Dirt, Constantly Resetting the Credits at every turn. First it was Pre Alpha, then Alpha, then BETA, then Pre Public & the Public. I was with them every step of the way & they Re-set the Credits every Step of the way. I had 50k of Credits at some of those steps, not a lot by today's standards but back then on 3-4 P4 Box's it's was a lot of Credit.

Once the SETI BOINC Project went Public in early 2003 it was nothing but one foul up after another, something akin to like today lol ... Anyway during the summer of 2003 I crunched the Project for 3 month's straight without ever getting a single Credit because the Project was so screwed up. I made up my mind then if ever another BOINC Project started up I would never run SETI again. I was one of the founding Crunchers of BOINC, think I remember Zombie being there too, all the SETI Project ever did was treat us like dirt, throw us under the bus & use us for door mats IMO that's why I'll never run SETI again ...

Philadelphia

I do give a big thanks to Claggy and TRuEQ & TuVaLu for their help with the app.

I did notice in the last half hour or so someone deleted all the 'stuff' about Moo in the posting.

People reading it were probably enticed by the idea of a project paying that much, lol.

They didn't want to advertise it

Diamond Member

A few observations:

1) If you want to crunch enigma@home, be sure to use the optimized app!

2) The S@H forums are the definition of "drama". *Everything* is a personal insult to someone there. Post about how the sky is blue and the sun is hot, and it will start a flame war. It makes my ass tired just thinking about that place.

3) S@H is and has always been poorly managed. They got some awesome hardware donations, a huge pipe, and still only barely keeps it running.
    Last edited by zombie67; 12-04-11 at 10:56 PM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast