Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PrimeGrid: The March to the Solstice

Diamond Member

PrimeGrid: The March to the Solstice

Come join the March to the Solstice (24 Nov - 19 Dec). We'll be pushing PPS (LLR) as far along as possible before the final Challenge of the year, the Winter Solstice Challenge (19 Dec - 22 Dec). We have established intermediate goals for PPS (LLR) and are within striking distance of completing them by the end of year 2011.This by no means is a "walk in the park". :) It will take a concentrated and sustained effort to reach these goals. For more details, please see this post.

More...

krackedpress

Re: PrimeGrid: The March to the Solstice

Well, I do not know about you, but with an average crunch time of 421 hours, I do not think I will run this.
    It is larger that their Seventeen or Bust project, which is 262 hours.

Something is really wrong here.

below is copied from their web site on Dec 11, 9:50 am Eastern Time.
    -------------------------------------
    Proth Prime Search (Sieve)The Winter Solstice Challenge project

Supported platforms:

• Windows: 32bit, 64bit (+CUDA23, AMD OpenCL1)
    • Linux: 32bit, 64bit (+CUDA23, AMD OpenCL1)
    • Mac: 32bit, 64bit (+CUDA32, AMD OpenCL1 - 64 bit only)

1 Requires AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing (APP) drivers.If APP driver not available for your card, then the ATI Stream SDK is needed.

Recent average CPU time: 421:10:27

Friend of SETI.USA

I think that CPU Time for the PPS's is old & outdated, it doesn't take anywhere's near that amount of time, more like 10-12 Hr's but not sure on that ...

Need to know if the Team as a whole is going to push on this one or not, doesn't make any difference to me, I'm running other thing's as well as PG on my GPU's so I can go either way ... ???

I think 2'nd place is possible, SICI probably have a Lock on 1'st with the GPU Power they have ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-11-11 at 10:20 AM.

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I think that CPU Time for the PPS's is old & outdated, it doesn't take anywhere's near that amount of time, more like 10-12 Hr's but not sure on that ...

Need to know if the Team as a whole is going to push on this one or not, doesn't make any difference to me, I'm running other thing's as well as PG on my GPU's so I can go either way ... ???

I think 2'nd place is possible, SICI probably have a Lock on 1'st with the GPU Power they have ...
    It that time using CPU or for GPU/CUDA/ATI?

I only have an quad AMD Phenom 9650 running at 2.30 GHz. My only very-low-end CUDA died after 2-3 months of 15K daily PG work, when it got work. That was the spring of 2010.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    It that time using CPU or for GPU/CUDA/ATI?

I only have an quad AMD Phenom 9650 running at 2.30 GHz. My only very-low-end CUDA died after 2-3 months of 15K daily PG work, when it got work. That was the spring of 2010.
    The reported time is for CPU. Your AMD will crunch much faster then that. Credit wise, the project has cut granted credit approx. in half.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Personally, I don't think it's worth it to run cpu's on pps sieve. I'm already running pps sieve on my nvidia, so by default I'll join the challenge.

I think we should join the team to every challenge that comes along, regardless of how many people show interest.

...If only to build up the teams spirit of competition through awareness.

Past Administrator

Some time ago, for reasons posted elsewhere, quite a few team members chose not to participate in any PG challenges this year. I believe next year may be different, but don't hold me to that. I myself am still undecided.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Some time ago, for reasons posted elsewhere, quite a few team members chose not to participate in any PG challenges this year. I believe next year may be different, but don't hold me to that. I myself am still undecided.
    Next year may be different. As far as the challenges ongoing and upcoming, I'll be on them with my Cuda card unless DiRT comes back up. Do they really have Cuda work for the Proth Prime Search (LLR) Focus project? I know it says it does but I've never had any Cuda wu's. Has anyone else?

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    The reported time is for CPU. Your AMD will crunch much faster then that. Credit wise, the project has cut granted credit approx. in half.
    I did over 2M with PPS Sieve with the old time/credit rating. It would be nice to see that rate come back.

I am doing some PG right now, since it has been over a month since I did any, when I did it every day.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Next year may be different. As far as the challenges ongoing and upcoming, I'll be on them with my Cuda card unless DiRT comes back up. Do they really have Cuda work for the Proth Prime Search (LLR) Focus project? I know it says it does but I've never had any Cuda wu's. Has anyone else?
    I've tried to get some of those elusive PPS LLR gpu tasks, but none have ever come. Must be rare.

EDIT: According to the PG forums, they are only for testing and not available for normal crunching via boinc.

http://www.primegrid.com/forum_threa...rap=true#44077
    Last edited by spingadus; 12-11-11 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast