Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request for help from the Tech wizards

Silver Member

Re: Request for help from the Tech wizards

Sounds like a power load issue. If you have a muti rail PS try using 2 rails on the 5970. It could be from the board side, more likely then not and there is hacks to fix that not suggesting to do that though. Could be the PSU, what PSU are you using?
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dandasarge View Post
    Sounds like a power load issue. If you have a muti rail PS try using 2 rails on the 5970. It could be from the board side, more likely then not and there is hacks to fix that not suggesting to do that though. Could be the PSU, what PSU are you using?
    Yeah it could very well be that. Not that there's anything wrong with your PSU, just that the amps/rail aren't high enough (which is why i have always strongly recommended single rail PSUs)

Though, i have also experienced a very similar problem when combining ATI and Nvidia in the same box, except i had the issue with a HD 5870 and a 9500 GT and a GTX 460. The ATI drivers ended up being what caused the problem. I spent 2 days trying to figure that mess out lol. Everything from BSODs to not booting, etc., just as you described. The following driver is working for me:

Driver Date: 4/19/2011
    Driver Version: 8.850.0.0

Please note the driver version as reported by windows is not the same as the version ATI claims it to be, so go by the date. There was also an older version that i had used but can't recall what it was now. But it is just the standard driver, not the special APP version.

EDIT: Should also mention this happened on a socket 775 mobo
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 11-30-11 at 05:59 PM.

Past Administrator

I do appreciate what you guys are saying, but I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU. This thing is a hog - it has 4 12V rails that do 36A each - or used in tandem, it can load up to 82A and 984W of its 1000W max on the 12V alone. Pretty beefy. I've got the plugins split too, so it's got a separate 36A 12V rail to each plugin, and there are no other cards plugged into the mobo. It's got to be either a conflict somewhere, or what Bryan alluded to - maybe this mobo just can't hack the Volts to the card on it's side of things. I would find that a little strange for a higher end chipset mobo - I mean, this is the 890FX, but you never know.

Right now I'm doing some tests in between patients - I've got it torn apart in the back room, and currently on yet another clean install of windows, and it's doing Prim95 stability tests with the old 5870 in right now, plus the Windows graphics assessment. I'm trying all kinds of different driver versions and whatnot to see if I can get it to do any of the fail(s) with the 5870 in there. So far it's coming out ahead.

If I can't make it fail with the 5870, then I will yank that out in a bit and put the 5970 in there and see what happens this time around. I'll post my progress. Cross your fingers for me.

Past Admin

I'm running two cards, 5970 and a 5870 on an Thermaltake TR2 RX 850 Bronze, single rail PSU without a hitch so your beast PSU should have no issue. I'm using the 11.11 driver as well, again no issue. I'll move it over to my dedicated cruncher tomorrow and see how it holds up there.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I do appreciate what you guys are saying, but I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU. This thing is a hog - it has 4 12V rails that do 36A each - or used in tandem, it can load up to 82A and 984W of its 1000W max on the 12V alone. Pretty beefy. I've got the plugins split too, so it's got a separate 36A 12V rail to each plugin, and there are no other cards plugged into the mobo. It's got to be either a conflict somewhere, or what Bryan alluded to - maybe this mobo just can't hack the Volts to the card on it's side of things. I would find that a little strange for a higher end chipset mobo - I mean, this is the 890FX, but you never know.

Right now I'm doing some tests in between patients - I've got it torn apart in the back room, and currently on yet another clean install of windows, and it's doing Prim95 stability tests with the old 5870 in right now, plus the Windows graphics assessment. I'm trying all kinds of different driver versions and whatnot to see if I can get it to do any of the fail(s) with the 5870 in there. So far it's coming out ahead.

If I can't make it fail with the 5870, then I will yank that out in a bit and put the 5970 in there and see what happens this time around. I'll post my progress. Cross your fingers for me.
    Not to diss anyone but the power from the PCIe slot is not the issue. PCIe spec 1.0 and above all limit the power drawn from the PCIe slot to 75W. This spec cannot be fudged in any way. Hence the reason for the PCIe power plug pins multiplying like Tribbles.

There is still a chance it is an issue with the MB, just not with power draw. I would strongly suggest installing that card in a different system. If the card works elsewhere then its your system. If the card doesn't work then its the card.

All that said, the symptoms you described seem to point to faulty hardware somewhere in the system.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Many hours later . . . system works perfect with the 5870. Prim95 stable for hours, with all latest BIOS, drivers, etc.

Remove the 5870 and throw the 5970 in there . . . boots great. Windows finds the card. Display is nice. Install drivers (I tried several at this point), reboot . . . and machine will never get past the "Starting Windows" black screen with the color logo above the words. Hangs there indefinitely, every time.

So, I'm officially done - this thing has wasted so much of my time I have been up for 39 hours straight now. Even I get a little fatigued after that. My only thought left is to try it in Kat's mobo and that would tell me if it's the mobo or the card. But even if it's my mobo and not the card, I don't know what good it's going to do me ... I just got the bigger case so I could use all 3 slots for GPUs, and this 5970 won't even fit in Kat's case, so even if it works on her mobo, I still am not sure what the best outcome is.

Silver Member

I was having a serious problem with Rodan a few months ago. The system "seemed" ok until I started watching movies on Netflix and often, the system would just "freeze" . No blue screen, nothing, just freeze. I tolerated this behavior for some time, until it got so bad I just couldn't stand it any more. The system seemed to degrade more and more as time went on. I also noticed that during this period, it took FOREVER for the system to come up after a reboot. Even during the BIOS signon it was taking a very long time to do anything even before it got to the boot menu where it says, "Windows was not shut down properly", pick something to continue...hahaha. Once picked it still took a very long time to boot into windows and then there was nothing that said it would run for a day without freezing again. I re-installed windows and was still having problems with the system.

I finally decided it was a hardware problem of some sort and I suppose I maybe got lucky in fixing the problem. What I did was this; took out all the memory, powered up the system. I got the beep, beep, beep that one should expect when there's no memory installed in the system. I powered it down, installed one stick, powered it back up and walla!, instant on!!!
    The boot screen came up with no hitches at all, so I powered it down again, installed the second stick, powered it up again and HOLY SMOKES!!! my system was acting like it was the day I put it together. Fast, snappy, no problems whatsoever and has been like a completely new computer right out of the box ever since.

If you haven't tried the aforementioned method with your memory, I suggest you do, just to see of course!

Yo-
    Yo-

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    @Bryan - thanks for that info. It could be what is happening here. I will give it one more shot before I decide what else to do.

Do you happen to know a good driver version that is running well with your 5970s (or was at some point) so I can make sure it's not something messing up with a newer driver optimized for the 6000 series?
    !
    I ran 10.12 for a long time but I've been running 11.5 since it came out without a problem on any project. I haven't tried any of the newer drivers .... if it ain't broke don't fix mentality.

Friend of SETI.USA

11.6 seems to be working good for me with the 5970 I installed ... From what I'm hearing 11.7 or higher is going to be needed ay the Albert Project but I'm not all that worried about running my ATI there as the NVIDIA Cards work fer me ...

Platinum Member

Remove the 5870 and throw the 5970 in there . . . boots great. Windows finds the card. Display is nice. Install drivers (I tried several at this point), reboot . . . and machine will never get past the "Starting Windows" black screen with the color logo above the words. Hangs there indefinitely, every time.
    Drivers man. I'm telling you

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast