Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmm using a whole lot of CPU on the 5970 & The New Box.

Past Administrator

Re: Hmm using a whole lot of CPU on the 5970 & The New Box.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    That sent me to Philly's Blue screen Thread.. You trying to tell me something? *Puts on my best Bronx Accent* I can do it pretty good ask DrPop.
    Yeah, I have fixed it. Sorry.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Here is anotehr strange thing happening, It says I'm finishing wu in 1500 to 1800 sec. I'm watching the wu's and they are finishing in about 10 to 12 mins. Below the reporting time. Another thing I noticed is that the last 40 to 70 sec. a wu crunches is completed by only one or the three cores. Perhaps the counter take the number of seconds it take to complete a wu and multiplies it be the three cores?

Thanks F$!!!

Past Admin

That was very easy and says Core 2 is much faster. Switch was made. Thank you again F$.

Diamond Member

Here is anotehr strange thing happening, It says I'm finishing wu in 1500 to 1800 sec. I'm watching the wu's and they are finishing in about 10 to 12 mins. Below the reporting time. Another thing I noticed is that the last 40 to 70 sec. a wu crunches is completed by only one or the three cores. Perhaps the counter take the number of seconds it take to complete a wu and multiplies it be the three cores?
    There are two different times reported. Don't confuse run time with CPU time. The better the GPU apps will have a smaller CPU time vs. run time.

Also, there are two different tasks (maybe). There is a longer app for 58xx+. Or was that DNETC? I don't recall. So make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    There are two different times reported. Don't confuse run time with CPU time. The better the GPU apps will have a smaller CPU time vs. run time.

Also, there are two different tasks (maybe). There is a longer app for 58xx+. Or was that DNETC? I don't recall. So make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
    What do you think about these run times?

http://moowrap.net/results.php?hosti...state=3&appid=

Diamond Member

What do you think about these run times?

http://moowrap.net/results.php?hosti...state=3&appid=
    The is my machine (1st gen i7-920 w/ dual 5870, and only 6 threads (75%) crunching): http://moowrap.net/results.php?hosti...state=3&appid=

It looks like the times are about the same. And you have three GPUs?

But I notice that last task took way less time and paid about the same. Was that perhaps the first one after you reserved three threads?

Administrator

With the 5970 and depending on the phase of the moon etc. the time reported is incorrect. Open the wu record and look at the start time and stop time and you will see the actual time to finish a wu. I always had this problem (reporting double time) on my 5970s.

Last week I crunched for a friend and I had never had the new 6990 on Moo. When I got it moved over to his account it was reporting 780s to complete a wu. 2 days later I detached and moved it under my account. Now it reports 1560s (double) the time the wu record says. Credits per day are the same but for some reason it doesn't report the right time. Same machine and same card with same credits per day. Go figure.

Diamond Member

So, if I understand what you are saying, the time reported means nothing, and mean nothing with regard to credits awarded per task. So look at your credits/day to see if you are doing better/worse. Right?

Past Admin

Yeah, looks like Moo has sorted it out. Mopo times are at 700 to 800 range now. All good.

Silver Member

This is were i find boinctask to be handy... it records the time the wu takes under history and its awesome since i want the info now it gives it to you... What i have found is if you use your computer and it suspends the task the time are all over the place with the project website so dont know if its calculating the wait time as well or just delays in restarting the project or some sort of estimated time or i have forgotten how to use a calculator to find the minutes .. confuses the hell out of me but once i started using boinctask i can see it all instantly.. being able to compare computer to computer or video card to video card after several wu to get a base line is very nice... give it a try just make sure to minimize it once you done looking since it graphic intensive when using gpu for crunching...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast