Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Project

Past Administrator

Re: The Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    I can't wait. I feel like I'm watching a weekly television program and have to wait till next week for the story to continue. F$ needs to make this daily programing.
    Sorry Mike029 but this new series "Seven" keeps getting preempted for RL.
    ........ And now we return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

Update:
    Work is going slow but I am making progress.

Main Panel (Mounting board)

The Open Platform (First test fit at 33% complete)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

that looks freaking sweet!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Are you looking for a card that can crunch or "just any decent AGP card"?

My Dad bought a Nvidia GeForce 7300GT 512MB (AGP) a few months back, it's new in the box from Fry's, and his old ASUS P4-E mobo wouldn't support it because the 7300GT uses a new AGP version. (It's from back in the day with RAMBUS RAM even!) Had to get an older Matrox Parhelia card for it. Works great now.

Anyway...long story short, I'm sure if your rig could run it, we could get that Nvidia 7300GT *real* cheap from Dad.
    I know they used to make AGP versions of the 9500 GT which can crunch. Another option are the 4600 series of the ATI cards which can crunch Collatz and DNETC. Might be more than you want to spend on it though.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    I know they used to make AGP versions of the 9500 GT which can crunch. Another option are the 4600 series of the ATI cards which can crunch Collatz and DNETC. Might be more than you want to spend on it though.
    Ooops, missed your post Slicker. Sorry. Yeah, but like more than I HAVE to spend.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Update:

First up, the good news. Another pic.

The GPU

As you can see I got Seven set up with the new *Really Cheap* BFG 7300 GT video card via a very generous arrangement with DrPop's super cool father who I dub "Big Daddy". Much Gratitude BD
    The mounting plate for the video card was fashioned from the case cover of an old and dead Tivo box

Secondly, the BAD news.... (Makes me want to cry. Almost.)

The bad news is..... the system will not boot. Sorry Mike029 but I tried everything.
    *With the orig. memory and 7300 I get a bad memory error.
    *with memory from my Keithinator box ("K") and 7300 the POST never finishes.
    *with memory from my "K" and Radeon the POST never finishes.
    *Pulled the CPU and tested it in "K", boots right up and now I know that box supports HT.
    *Tried the CPU form "K" and the POST never finishes.
    *Fixed up Seven's sister motherboard, tested with it and got the same errors.

So I think that the Northbridge on the MBs are toast Mike. The Northbridges going bad is probably what alerted you to the fact that their heatsinks had come off. I'm sorry that you spent money shipping them to me. Real bummer. I will hold on to them as you never know...

So now the plan is to go through my collection to see what I can bring myself to part with and sell on eBay. When I have enough I will use eBay to buy a replacement MB. (Sorta ironic, sell on eBay to buy on eBay.)
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 12-02-10 at 06:29 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

What a bummer! Nothing worse then getting a new toy and not being able to play with it. I do still have the MB that was coupled with that 3.2 (ABIT IS7-E). They both were working together a few months ago. I can't promise anything but if you want to give it a shot before you go spending more money, I can ship it to ya.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    What a bummer! Nothing worse then getting a new toy and not being able to play with it. I do still have the MB that was coupled with that 3.2 (ABIT IS7-E). They both were working together a few months ago. I can't promise anything but if you want to give it a shot before you go spending more money, I can ship it to ya.
    Dude! If you can part with it then please PM me for terms and conditions. The offer is greatly appreciated.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Are you planning to leave that upside down? Seems like it would give opportunity for some kind of FOD to land on important video card parts.

That is one impressive build. How much do you charge per case?
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    Are you planning to leave that upside down? Seems like it would give opportunity for some kind of FOD to land on important video card parts.

That is one impressive build. How much do you charge per case?
    Thanks for the comments.
    Yeah, its going to stay orientated like that. I like the idea of having all the I/O ports at the front. To keep the flying dust bunnies at bay I will be adding a clear acrylic cover along with (2x) 120mm Silverstone FN122 or Enermax UC-12EB case fans mounted at the back end when funds permit.

As to case building for others? I have had that thought for many moons now. It would require an investment in equipment that is way out of my reach right now. Also not sure if my Uncle would allow me to commandeer the garage to to it

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

F$, sorry about that. I would never have sent them to you if I knew they were junk. Real bummer. I hope we can salvage this somehow. I'll keep my eyes open at work for an old p4 mb. I have a bunch of old dell cases in the basement. I'll see if I can dig something up.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast