Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual 5870's

Philadelphia

Re: Dual 5870's

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Let us know how ya make out Phili. Being from New York, I won't hold it against ya. Giants, Rangers, Islanders, Yankees, etc (forget the other teams) OHHHH!!!!
    Off topic but, ya had to go there did ya Eagles suck, Phillies great, Flyers great, Sixers who? Elite Manning (not), Rangers pretty good, Islanders -admit to owning them? Yankees had a good season, disappointing post season like the Phillies. What about the other teams in the State of NY, Buffalo Bills - please, Mets or Mess is more appropriate. Oh, forgot the Knicks and Carmellllllllllllo and Amar'e don't play defense Stoudemire.

Always fun to banter back and forth between the two sports cities - no doubt NY wins hands down on championships.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Off topic but, ya had to go there did ya Eagles suck, Phillies great, Flyers great, Sixers who? Elite Manning (not), Rangers pretty good, Islanders -admit to owning them? Yankees had a good season, disappointing post season like the Phillies. What about the other teams in the State of NY, Buffalo Bills - please, Mets or Mess is more appropriate. Oh, forgot the Knicks and Carmellllllllllllo and Amar'e don't play defense Stoudemire.

Always fun to banter back and forth between the two sports cities - no doubt NY wins hands down on championships.
    "Da Bears!!!!!!!"

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Philadelphia

Ok, back on topic, lol.

I'm going to Radio Shack this morning to get the resistors to make the plug and then reinstall the other 5870.

I read 'somewhere' that it was ok to have the 5870 installed without the power plugs instead of taking it out which confused me. One time (of my many times trying to get the 2 to work) during my install/uninstall of the card I forgot to install the two power connectors and the card made a nasty winnnnning sound.

Also, any other thoughts on the cross firing of them?

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Ok, back on topic, lol.

I'm going to Radio Shack this morning to get the resistors to make the plug and then reinstall the other 5870.

I read 'somewhere' that it was ok to have the 5870 installed without the power plugs instead of taking it out which confused me. One time (of my many times trying to get the 2 to work) during my install/uninstall of the card I forgot to install the two power connectors and the card made a nasty winnnnning sound.

Also, any other thoughts on the cross firing of them?
    You don't have to run them in crossfire for crunching. You get more credits not doing it.

Administrator

This is sort of on topic. In an attempt to free up a pcie slot for a very slow gt430 I moved a 4850 to my cruncher1 box. It now has a 6950 in the pcie x16 slot and the 4850 is in the pcie x1 slot. These are both crunching mw (sorry, can't go for credits all the time.) What I found interesting is that the wu times are about the same...cool. Anyway, to get them to work I did have to open Catalyst and extend the desktop, but I did not have to use a dummy plug...this is with an XP OS. BTW, I put the gt430 on DiRT cuda for a few more credits...Al

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    This is sort of on topic. In an attempt to free up a pcie slot for a very slow gt430 I moved a 4850 to my cruncher1 box. It now has a 6950 in the pcie x16 slot and the 4850 is in the pcie x1 slot. These are both crunching mw (sorry, can't go for credits all the time.) What I found interesting is that the wu times are about the same...cool. Anyway, to get them to work I did have to open Catalyst and extend the desktop, but I did not have to use a dummy plug...this is with an XP OS. BTW, I put the gt430 on DiRT cuda for a few more credits...Al
    Hey don't worry about it.

As far as the 4850 crunching wu's at the same rate at the 6950, that is a problem. The 6950 should blow the 4850 out of the water.

I also don't think you would get better credits crunching those two cards on Moo than MW. I thought that you needed to use a dummy plug in XP. Good to know you got it working without it. Big thanks for the help on DiRT.

Administrator

Clarification, the 6950 does wu in 63 seconds. The 4850 did a wu in 172 seconds in a x16 slot and it does a wu in 169 seconds in the x1 slot, that's what I thought was interesting...the x1 slot didn't seem to be a bottleneck. Al

Past Admin

Clarification, the 6950 does wu in 63 seconds. The 4850 did a wu in 172 seconds in a x16 slot and it does a wu in 169 seconds in the x1 slot, that's what I thought was interesting...the x1 slot didn't seem to be a bottleneck. Al

Ahh, got ya. No prob. then.

Diamond Member

This is correct. GPU crunching uses almost no PCI bandwidth. Any slot will do.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Al - from what the guys say, it's not good credit wise to crunch Moo! on two radically different ATI GPUs, because it will idle one while the other one finishes a portion of the WU. You are doing the best thing, I think in crunching MW anyway, because it does 2 separate WUs, one for each card. I have to admit I like the science of MW better, but it seems to go down a lot for some reason. And, of course if it had DNET like credits, everything would be right in the universe, but we can't have everything, can we?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast