Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual 5870's

Administrator

Re: Dual 5870's

Also in the .cfg file ... somewhere around the middle there are 2 lines for "Voltage" that you can set to "1" and then you can change the voltage settings on the card. On a 5870 that really isn't necessary ... it will be somewhere around 1.16V standard. What you can do though is once you have the card stable and you find you can run it at 950 MHz you can start dropping that voltage in small increments to see where it looses stability. When you drop the Vcore voltage the temperature drops.

On my 5870s, the ones with the single fan located at the "end" of the card will let you change voltage. My cheaper cards that have the bigger fan located in the middle will NOT allow any voltage change. I never change the voltage on my 5870s but that is a VERY nice feature if you have a 5970 or GTX 5XX.

Philadelphia

Thank Bryan, the information is appreciated.

Dan/Philly

Philadelphia

Now I have both running, Moo is using the cpu like crazy, any idea what may have caused that, I didn't change any project preferences.

Not to mention the run times are up quite a bit too

Philadelphia

[edit] My WU's were in the 1700 range for run time and around 12 seconds for cpu time

Now I'm doing these numbers????

Last edited by Philadelphia; 12-08-11 at 01:25 PM.

Gold Member

I have to reserve 1 thread on my i7 2600k for my GPU using Moo! to get max credits. So, it does use up a lot of cpu on my box.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    I have to reserve 1 thread on my i7 2600k for my GPU using Moo! to get max credits. So, it does use up a lot of cpu on my box.
    +1 I would be surprised if you didn't have to cut one CPU core from BOINC in your crunching preferences now that you have two 5870s in there. Those things can sling the credits, one of the best bang for buck GPUs out there - crunching wise, they easily keep up with the 6000 series, especially if you O/C them to 950MHz in Afterburner.

Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    +1 I would be surprised if you didn't have to cut one CPU core from BOINC in your crunching preferences now that you have two 5870s in there. Those things can sling the credits, one of the best bang for buck GPUs out there - crunching wise, they easily keep up with the 6000 series, especially if you O/C them to 950MHz in Afterburner.
    Here are my BOINC settings.

Past Administrator

OK, try changing the "suspend when non BOINC tasks active" from 75% - where it is now - to 0.
    Then change the "on multi processor systems use __% of CPU" from -- where it is now - to 75%. On a quad core, that is like cutting 1 core from what BOINC will use for CPU projects. You can play with this number later to fine tune, but try this for now and see how your Moo! times change, ie they should drop like a rock again.

Diamond Member

The page is the same only the credits are different.

I will use the afterburner

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Now I'm doing these numbers????

Unless I'm missing something it seems awfully slow to me for a Dual 5870 setup, my 5970's running @ 825 & 850 Clock Cores run the Wu's under 900 Seconds, my single 5870 Box @ only 900 Core runs them in the 1600-1700 range. Are you sure your even using both GPU's to run the MOO Wu's ??? Should say using 2 GPU's in the BOINC Manager, I think you are cause I checked your Wu's out at the Project. If so then you have major problems else where running the Wu's that slow with 2 5870's, don't know where though ... To me it looks like only 1 of the GPU's is actually running the Wu's even though it may say 2 at the Project

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast