Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HD 5970 Clusterfrak

Friend of SETI.USA

HD 5970 Clusterfrak

Well some of you know I bought 4 5970's recently sold 2 of them so no problem there unless they get returned. Another one is running the Moo Project @ 850 Core since the day I got it without a single problem. The last one is just a Clusterfrak as far as I Concerned, been trying to run it @ 800 Core with limited success, it's been down as much as it's been up. Woke up this morning & yesterday morning with the Box rebooted & the VCard running in VGA Mode. The card was still running the Wu's but taking upwards of 45 Min's to run them, just a few min's ago I found the Box froze up or at least no response from the mouse anyway. After rebooting the Box I found out the Card had been running the same Wu for almost 4 Hr's, not the first time I've seen that either.

If I back the Card off to 750-775 it will run okay, at least for awhile anyway, but I've never left it running at those speeds because it's a waste of electricity to run a 5970 at 750-775. The Wu's take about as long to run as a single 5870 running @ 900 will run them. Even running the Card @ 800 your losing but it's acceptable. Running @ 850 it's almost break even, 14 min's for the 5970 v 26 Min for the 5870 @ 900 Core. Going to try the Card in one more Box & if it's the same think I'll either return it or try to sell it ...

Past Administrator

Re: HD 5970 Clusterfrak

1) What are the reported temps at the 800 clock speed? GPU-Z (Link) is a good tool for that. Just in case the problem is CCC.

2) Have you tried that card in a different system?

3) Since it could be a Windows issue have you tried crunching with that card under Linux?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

The Cards not overheating 65-70c running under load temps

Second system it's been in already

If I run the card under Linux it will only run at the stock speed of 725, not acceptable, a single 5870 running @ 900 would be faster

I have a single 5870 running the MOO Wu's in 26 Min's, so if the 5970 won't run them in under 14 min's it's a waste to me. Still not as fast as a but close enough to keep the Card.
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-04-11 at 03:40 PM.

Past Administrator

OK. the Linux suggestion was for testing for stability only.

The problem you are having sounds sorta like DrPop's issue. Since you have tested the card in another box, it is very likely a faulty card. I would suggest contacting Newegg for an RMA.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK. the Linux suggestion was for testing for stability only.

The problem you are having sounds sorta like DrPop's issue. Since you have tested the card in another box, it is very likely a faulty card. I would suggest contacting Newegg for an RMA.
    I moved the Card to another Box & running it @ 800 to see what happens, if it messes up again I'll back it off to stock speeds & see what happens. I'm pretty sure it will run @ Stock speeds but haven't tested it there yet. The Box Boots okay, so it's not like DP's problem, it just doesn't seem to like to be Overclocked, or at lest not anywhere near as high of speeds as the other Card does.

Time will tell how long the Card running @ 850 will run at that speed before messing up or going bad, but so far it's been okay 4 days now ...

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    The Cards not overheating 65-70c running under load temps

Second system it's been in already

If I run the card under Linux it will only run at the stock speed of 725, not acceptable, a single 5870 running @ 900 would be faster

I have a single 5870 running the MOO Wu's in 26 Min's, so if the 5970 won't run them in under 14 min's it's a waste to me. Still not as fast as a but close enough to keep the Card.
    I can only get one gpu core to 850, the other I can't get past 770. I lost a bunch on time yesterday messing with it. I figured I'd let it burn in over the weekend and try again. I'm also using same amout of cpu time to complete the wu. Hmm, wondering if I need to return mine as well?

Friend of SETI.USA

The whole thing is if the Card runs @ the Stock Speed it's not really bad as no Company guarantees you can Overclock the Cards it's just assumed you can, but if 1 Card hit's 850 you'd think the other one would be able to hit at least 800 & probably more. But I had already read in some forums & reviews some of the 5970 just won't Overclock very well, probably totally miss matched Cores. I mean the 2 Cores are not matched up very good for Overclocking & where the problem lie's I think ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-04-11 at 06:14 PM.

Past Admin

Ahh, I guess I better scrap the idea of retuning it cause it won't oc to 850. I'm going to drop another 5870 in the box with the 5970 and see where if I can get the times down. My two 5870's oc'd to 900 & it's taking me 18 min per wu. Your's are done in 14 min. is awesome.

Past Administrator

Well, finally decided to return mine after messing with it just a little longer; it's going back to the egg first thing in the morning. I'm really sorry if I steered anyone wrong on these - it just seemed like a good buy and was always my dream card.

For what it's worth, I have a Gigabyte 5870 @900 that does Moo! WUs in 26 and some change all the way up to 29mins, depending on what else I'm doing on the computer at the same time. Also (2) GTX 460s in there crunching DiRT, and all 6 CPU cores crunching DiRT - I am not holding any back while DiRT has CPU WUs, so that could be upping my times a little bit.

@SteVe - what is your mem clock speed on that 5870 that's doing them in 26mins?

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Well, finally decided to return mine after messing with it just a little longer; it's going back to the egg first thing in the morning. I'm really sorry if I steered anyone wrong on these - it just seemed like a good buy and was always my dream card.

For what it's worth, I have a Gigabyte 5870 @900 that does Moo! WUs in 26 and some change all the way up to 29mins, depending on what else I'm doing on the computer at the same time. Also (2) GTX 460s in there crunching DiRT, and all 6 CPU cores crunching DiRT - I am not holding any back while DiRT has CPU WUs, so that could be upping my times a little bit.

@SteVe - what is your mem clock speed on that 5870 that's doing them in 26mins?
    I'd like to know as well. If I can squeeze another 2 mins. off my times I'll do it.

@Pop, what you getting as a replacement? How about a GTX 570? The Sparkle was $304.99 after rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814187130

I know, I know it's always easier to spend other peoples money.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast