Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Radioactive: Need a volunteer to compile OSX app

Gold Member

Re: Radioactive: Need a volunteer to compile OSX app

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Ah, I see what is happening here. At start up, something is actually removing the app file! And it is happening at start up, not later when boinc requests work from the project. WTF? Why would BOINC delete a file like that?

--

Also, this message is further up (earlier) in the start up:

Fri Jan 6 11:53:41 2012 | Radioactive@Home | [error] State file error: missing application file usblib-0.1.4.dylib

I see that the actual file name included in the zip package is:

libusb-0.1.4.dylib

So I updated the app_info.xml to match the file name in a couple of places. Now the message says:

Fri Jan 6 12:06:14 2012 | Radioactive@Home | [error] State file error: missing application file libusb-0.1.4.dylib
    Frakking dynamic libraries!

Try adding <copy_file/> to the <file_ref> element as shown here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/WrapperApp
    That should cause it to copy the file to the slot folder so it can find it. I hope.

Another option is to put it where all the other dylib files are and then remove the reference from the app_info.xml

Didn't we run into this same issue with the Collatz CUDA app for OS X with the CUDA runtime dylib?
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Frakking dynamic libraries!

Try adding <copy_file/> to the <file_ref> element as shown here: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/WrapperApp
    That should cause it to copy the file to the slot folder so it can find it. I hope.

Another option is to put it where all the other dylib files are and then remove the reference from the app_info.xml

Didn't we run into this same issue with the Collatz CUDA app for OS X with the CUDA runtime dylib?
    Heh. I don't recall. Maybe that was with crunch3r? Anyway, I am away for a few days. I will try your suggestions when I get back. And thanks for all the work on this. I know it's frustrating!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

I tried the <copy_file/>, but no success. No matter what, the app file gets deleted, the error message of "[error] State file error: missing application file libusb-0.1.4.dylib" shows in the event log.

Based on this:

Code:
    % otool -L ./radac_1.54_x86_64-apple-darwin 
    ./radac_1.54_x86_64-apple-darwin:
    	/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
    	/usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.4.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.4.0)
    	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
    	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 111.1.4)
    ...I created the lib directory under /usr/local, and then just copied the three dylib files into that directory. No messing around with symbolic links.

Still no change in behavior. App deleted, error message in event log.

So I finally just removed the two sections in the app_info.xml that referenced the dylib. My app_info.xml now looks like this (includes the fix to the platform and the correction of the usblib/libusb typo) :

Code:
    <app_info>
    	<app>
    		<name>radac</name>
    		<user_friendly_name>Radioactivity Monitor</user_friendly_name>
    	</app>
    	<file_info>
    		<name>radac_1.54_x86_64-apple-darwin</name>
    		<executable/>
    	</file_info>
    	<app_version>
    		<app_name>radac</app_name>
    		<version_num>154</version_num>
    		<platform>x86_64-apple-darwin</platform>
    		<avg_ncpus>1.000000</avg_ncpus>
    		<max_ncpus>1.000000</max_ncpus>
    		<api_version>6.10.58</api_version>
    		<file_ref>
    			<file_name>radac_1.54_x86_64-apple-darwin</file_name>
    			<main_program/>
    		</file_ref>
    	</app_version>
    </app_info>
    ...and it seems to be working! I am 8 minutes into a 30 min run time. If/when it validates, I will report back.

Diamond Member

Success!!!

http://radioactiveathome.org/boinc/r...esultid=196564

One issue: The setting at the project is to run for .5 hours. It actually ran for 1.3 hours. Why would that be? I am running a second now to see if the issue is a one-off or not.
    Last edited by zombie67; 01-18-12 at 07:28 PM.

Diamond Member

One issue: The setting at the project is to run for .5 hours. It actually ran for 1.3 hours. Why would that be? I am running a second now to see if the issue is a one-off or not.

No change in run time with the second task. I will experiment with turning off various other projects, starting with Moo on the GPU.

Diamond Member

No change in run time with the second task. I will experiment with turning off various other projects, starting with Moo on the GPU.
    No matter what, run time stays at 3x what it should. Very odd.

Gold Member

Rather than check the actual time, the apps loops for a certain number of iterations. Maybe each iteration takes 3x as long on OS X. I don't know.

Since the usb dylib has to be manually installed, there's no way this can ever be set up as anything other than an opt app. Bummer.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234