Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4870 shutting system down

Administrator

4870 shutting system down

I have a 4870 that runs a display without a problem, but as soon as it starts to crunch (any ATI project) the system shuts down. Not a bsod, just shuts down. Also, I've tried it in 3 different systems with the same result. Any ideas on what might' causing this?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Gold Member

Re: 4870 shutting system down

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    I have a 4870 that runs a display without a problem, but as soon as it starts to crunch (any ATI project) the system shuts down. Not a bsod, just shuts down. Also, I've tried it in 3 different systems with the same result. Any ideas on what might' causing this?

I'm told you need at least a 650W PSU. From my experience, it seems to be true. I have a 4870 in a computer with a 600W PSU and it still shuts down after about a minute of MW. Probably just running out of juice.
    6r39 7r199

Administrator

I don't believe that's it. I've successfully run this 4870 with a 650w psu and even with an 850w it kills the system...at this point. This 4870 did not do this previously, it did work fine. My killawatt show that neither time was I even close to 80% of the psu rating. Can a gpu fry and still run a monitor?

Past Administrator

I don't believe that's it. I've successfully run this 4870 with a 650w psu and even with an 850w it kills the system...at this point. This 4870 did not do this previously, it did work fine. My killawatt show that neither time was I even close to 80% of the psu rating. Can a gpu fry and still run a monitor?
    Nope, not that I am aware of anyway. BTW, is this the problem system? ---> http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?p...oo&hostid=6338

If it is not the PSU then it sounds like it might be running too hot or it may be a driver issue.

In Catalyst Control Center enable Overdrive and set fan speed anywhere between 70~90 percent. Then try crunching.

If the above doesn't work try updating the video driver. Download the latest driver (Link) and the current version of Driver Sweeper (Link) . Use Windows Add/Remove Programs utility in Control Panel and reboot. Then use Driver Sweeper to clean up what the uninstaller leaves behind and reboot. Now install the new driver and reboot.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

An actual shutdown and not a reboot probably means it was protecting against overheating. Clean the dust bunnies out and make sure you have enough cooling.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    An actual shutdown and not a reboot probably means it was protecting against overheating. Clean the dust bunnies out and make sure you have enough cooling.
    These you need to clean out

These you should keep but will require extra cooling........

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

F$, it was in that system and and another. I have tried different drivers going all the way back to 10.10 I think, without success. I didn't use driver sweeper that I can recall, but I'll try that. Heat is not the issue, can't be, because each of the systems shut down immediately. Windows loads, boinc loads automatically at startup and immediately the system shuts down...right when the project starts to crunch, no time to heat up.

Silver Member

I know with my 4850x2 i had use driver version 11.7 which is the only drive that is listed on the AMD APP SDK v2.5 which corrected all the errors i was spiting out with collatz and MW. Dont know if this will help but cant hurt to try.. This driver is also supose to fix the AMD bug that eats up a thread but only for single cards seems the bug is still present for dual cards and they are aware of it but no fixes yet. Good luck

http://developer.amd.com/sdks/AMDAPP...atibility.aspx
    Last edited by coronicus; 12-10-11 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Found the link

Friend of SETI.USA

Make sure the Fan on the GPU is even running, check the temps with a temp utility like Afterburner before trying to run the GPU Wu's, try another PSU & see what happens. The PSU may have enough wattage to run the Computer but if it's going bad the symptoms you describe do sorta point to the PSU kicking out ... Or the Video Card in going Bad, when you put a load on it it will kick out the computer, either or it's probably the PSU or the Video Card that's bad or going bad. if you can try another Video card & if it still kicks out the computer then try another PSU ...

Administrator
    Yep, fans running...no heat issues...even some progress. It will now start a mw or collars Wu without shutting down the system, all Wus fail, but at least it doesn't shut down. Currently running ccc 11.11 and I may try backing that up again. I had to do this previously with this same card in another box and I also had to run an app_info file from arkan or something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast