Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MOO Wrapper Happy Holidays!

Gold Member

Re: MOO Wrapper Happy Holidays!

So, my last wu (Link) took 948.36 seconds and was awarded 3,686.40 credits.

3,686.40/948.36*86400=335848 credits/day

Previous results:

16,653.60/4,315.63*86400=333409 credits/day

So, the rate is the same, apparently I just got a shorter wu. This is with "Holiday" credits.

Considering that 'holiday' credits are about 2.5x normal and my gtx is dual core working on 1 task:

335848/2.5/2=67169.6 credits/day per core. This is basically what I had estimated before. So, actually nothing has changed.

will try running the benchmark as soon as I can get my client to download the ...stream.exe file. It's not currentl y in my moo!wrap directory for some reason.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Be sure to give moo enough CPU. I usually give them 3 cores, so that even with moo running, the CPU is no where near 100%. Then I add back CPU threads one at a time until run times start to climb, then go back one notch.
    It has 2 free threads atm and the cpu % fluctuates between 89-90%.

Diamond Member

I don't think you can look at any one unit to measure performance on moo. Mine are all over the place. You really need to measure day vs day.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    So, my last wu (Link) took 948.36 seconds and was awarded 3,686.40 credits.

3,686.40/948.36*86400=335848 credits/day

Previous results:

16,653.60/4,315.63*86400=333409 credits/day

So, the rate is the same, apparently I just got a shorter wu. This is with "Holiday" credits.

Considering that 'holiday' credits are about 2.5x normal and my gtx is dual core working on 1 task:

335848/2.5/2=67169.6 credits/day per core. This is basically what I had estimated before. So, actually nothing has changed.

will try running the benchmark as soon as I can get my client to download the ...stream.exe file. It's not currentl y in my moo!wrap directory for some reason.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should be looking for the cuda version, not stream...I think stream is for benchmarking the ati's only. I could be wrong on that though.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should be looking for the cuda version, not stream...I think stream is for benchmarking the ati's only. I could be wrong on that though.
    Yeah, I think you are right. It wouldn't download. I even turned on cpu processing in the project configuration and eventually tried a reset.

I ran the cuda bench and it said to use #1. So, I've set that.

Friend of SETI.USA

Personally I think the Benchmark thing to choose a CPU Core is a lot of wasted time, also shutting down 1-2 or 3 Cores. I tested shutting down Cores (3 on my HT 12 Thread E980x's) and didn't see 1 bit of time difference or Credit difference for either my 6990 or 590's ... I also did a little looking around at guy'z Box's that say their using this Core or that Core & my Wu's run just as fast as theirs just using AUTO Select unless they have theirs Overclocked more than mine.

I also discovered a long time ago that setting the # of CPU's to use to <ncpus>0</ncpus> that the GPU's WU from any GPU Project will automatically use the amount of CPU that it needs to use without any input from me. I don't know how that works since I set it to use 0 CPU but it must be something the BOINC Client Automatically adjusts for when running GPU Wu's because at times depending on the GPU Wu's I'm running I have 2-3 or 4 CPU's running on a Quad Core or 4-5 or 6 running on a 6 Core Box.

I know that works for Client 6.12.34 & up but not sure about anything lower than that ...

Platinum Member

I ran the bench on this dual system and the #2 core looked to be the best. Problem is that if you have more than 3 systems running Moo and you set each to a different location and set the core #, won't systems set to the same location run differently with the same core number selected?

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Administrator
    Is anyone else starting to see a consistent, albeit sight decrease in credits/wu? Mine are coming in at the low 13000's. Had been in the 16's, 15's and some 14's. Not complaining, just an observation.

Silver Member

aye.. also seems like they stopped sending out work, just noticed

also, no colatz or MW... so what should i use for backup?
    Last edited by coronicus; 12-31-11 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Personally I think the Benchmark thing to choose a CPU Core is a lot of wasted time, also shutting down 1-2 or 3 Cores. I tested shutting down Cores (3 on my HT 12 Thread E980x's) and didn't see 1 bit of time difference or Credit difference for either my 6990 or 590's ... I also did a little looking around at guy'z Box's that say their using this Core or that Core & my Wu's run just as fast as theirs just using AUTO Select unless they have theirs Overclocked more than mine.

I also discovered a long time ago that setting the # of CPU's to use to <ncpus>0</ncpus> that the GPU's WU from any GPU Project will automatically use the amount of CPU that it needs to use without any input from me. I don't know how that works since I set it to use 0 CPU but it must be something the BOINC Client Automatically adjusts for when running GPU Wu's because at times depending on the GPU Wu's I'm running I have 2-3 or 4 CPU's running on a Quad Core or 4-5 or 6 running on a 6 Core Box.

I know that works for Client 6.12.34 & up but not sure about anything lower than that ...
    I think some of the factors that influence Moo production include hardware make and system setup. I have 3 5830s, one is a HIS and other two are Sapphire units. And each computer is different, i7 920 (Socket 1366) running Win7 x64, i7 860 (Socket 1156) running WinXP Pro x64 Corp. and a Phenom II 810 Running WinXP Pro x64. When the HIS was the only one I had I "thought" I was getting good credits but I didn't know anything about the benchmarking or why to reserve CPU cores. After I started running the Sapphire cards I discovered they were way outperforming the HIS. Maxwell and Bryan turned me on to maxing out the HIS which increased that cards output somewhere in the 20~30 range. Sorry I forgot the exact amount.

Your mileage may vary....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast