Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Preview

Silver Member

Windows 8 Preview

Windows 8 Preview 64 bit and 32 bit
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Those of you who wanna check it out...

If you dont have a download manager i would recomend using one very slow download and interupts are common..

Microsoft download manager
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=26214

Re: Windows 8 Preview

What do you think the chances are it would work on an XP PC?
    It has 1 gig ramp and a 64 bit AMD processor.

It seems to meet minimum requirements for 32bit install but just bearly.

Silver Member

Pretty much the same as vista or windows 7. They will run but due to low system memory everything will cached to hardrive causing sever hardrive usage. I would recomend atleast 1.5-2G of ram so things will stay in memory which will cause the system to run smoother. From my understanding its also designed to run on tablet pc's so processor side it should run fine on older CPU like the althon 64 or even the P4 with hyperthread. Just downloaded it so havent had a chance to really test it out yet curently installing in virtual enviroment..

Silver Member

OMG this is so sad.. VP is not suported ... uhm really .. what were they thinking ... Way to go microsoft lets make something that wont work with your own product So now i have to either use a third party software like vbox or vmware and from what i have seen have issues so i guess ill have to run to the store to get some blank dvd to test it on a real machine ugh.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    OMG this is so sad.. VP is not suported ... uhm really .. what were they thinking ... Way to go microsoft lets make something that wont work with your own product So now i have to either use a third party software like vbox or vmware and from what i have seen have issues so i guess ill have to run to the store to get some blank dvd to test it on a real machine ugh.
    Remember that Win8 is a radical departure from their previous offerings. So much so that M$ has told everyone that works with or develops products for Windows, that they will have to forget everything that they knew about Windows development, and dump all the tools that they have continually paid to keep certified. This is because none of it will work with Windows 8. See this ---> (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Near as I can tell, Win8 is just Win7 with Metro on top + USB3. What am I missing?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

im with zombie on this one i though this would only affect apps running on metro while you can still run the normal system in explorer or whatever its called now.. Although im confused as to why they wouldnt make it run within there own virtual machine for testing. Im still a bit unclear but im asuming metro is the front end or the bread and butter of windows 8 but that you could run the normal windows box we are used to im just not sure if there is performance issues doing this or if its similar to what mac or unix does with it windows environment mode. Hopefully i will get a chance to play around i have seen a few articles but no true performance tests.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Near as I can tell, Win8 is just Win7 with Metro on top + USB3. What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    im with zombie on this one i though this would only affect apps running on metro while you can still run the normal system in explorer or whatever its called now.. Although im confused as to why they wouldnt make it run within there own virtual machine for testing. Im still a bit unclear but im asuming metro is the front end or the bread and butter of windows 8 but that you could run the normal windows box we are used to im just not sure if there is performance issues doing this or if its similar to what mac or unix does with it windows environment mode. Hopefully i will get a chance to play around i have seen a few articles but no true performance tests.
    To quote the Ars Technica article (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...m_medium=email)

......the demonstration has the legions of Windows developers deeply concerned, and with good reason: they were told that all their experience, all their knowledge, and every program they have written in the past would be useless on Windows 8.
    And

...Windows 8 would use HTML5 and JavaScript for its new immersive applications was, therefore, more than a little disturbing to Windows developers. Such a switch means discarding two decades of knowledge and expertise of Windows development—and countless hours spent learning Microsoft's latest-and-greatest technology—and perhaps just as importantly, it means discarding rich, capable frameworks and the powerful, enormously popular Visual Studio development environment, in favor of a far more primitive, rudimentary system with substantially inferior tools.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Silver Member

Thanks Duke.. It all makes sence now...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast