Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Preview

Silver Member

Re: Windows 8 Preview

Wow im still trying to understand this Firestorm.. been out of the computer loop for over 5 years and after my surgery I take way to many meds to remember half the stuff i read but from my understanding is it saying that windows 8 completely runs in html5 meaning its nothing more then one big arse IE9 os. I really hope that is not true or it will be even worse then ME. Wish i could get a dvd burned to test it out got three dif kind of media DVD +- all failed to burn on both my new LG dvd burner and my old plextor.. ugh... this is so frustrating.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Wow im still trying to understand this Firestorm.. been out of the computer loop for over 5 years and after my surgery I take way to many meds to remember half the stuff i read but from my understanding is it saying that windows 8 completely runs in html5 meaning its nothing more then one big arse IE9 os. I really hope that is not true or it will be even worse then ME. Wish i could get a dvd burned to test it out got three dif kind of media DVD +- all failed to burn on both my new LG dvd burner and my old plextor.. ugh... this is so frustrating.
    Nope you are correct. Redmond no longer cares about what came before. They are only interested in maximum profit. Security doesn't matter because it was still a concern they would stay the hell away from java in any form. But their focus is now on an "Immersive User Experience". I have said this before, when M$ stops supporting Win7 I will be a pure Linux user.

Have you tried installing from a USB thumb drive?
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 12-29-11 at 12:22 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I have said this before, when M$ stops supporting Win7 I will be a pure Linux user...
    Come to the dark side Luke...

On a completely unrelated note, avoid Gnome 3 like the plague. If your distro/version forces you to use it, look for a different version/distro. It's been unmasked in Gentoo. If it becomes stable, I'll re-mask it. FYI, the latest Ubuntu will have Gnome 3. Find the last LTS version and stick with it.
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

OMG stop it... I was just in the process of downloading ubuntu to start learning about it and now your saying its no good... Im getting really depressed over here, someone save the day please

Im seriouly considering buying extra windows 7 keys in worry of them running out and with microsoft doing what they always do push you to there latest and greatest (junk?)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    OMG stop it... I was just in the process of downloading ubuntu to start learning about it and now your saying its no good... Im getting really depressed over here, someone save the day please
    Download the latest and download the last LTS version. They're LiveCD's so you can try each before you install. Maybe you like Gnome 3. I suspect I won't. But, as I said, you can try Ubuntu without installing it. It's not like you're paying for it or something. Boot it off the CD and you're running it.

EDIT: After further review, it might actually be pretty cool.

Sorry for the off-topic.

(PS. The download links above are for 64-bit)
    Last edited by trigggl; 12-29-11 at 08:58 PM.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    Come to the dark side Luke...

On a completely unrelated note, avoid Gnome 3 like the plague. If your distro/version forces you to use it, look for a different version/distro. It's been unmasked in Gentoo. If it becomes stable, I'll re-mask it. FYI, the latest Ubuntu will have Gnome 3. Find the last LTS version and stick with it.
    I have been running 10.04 LTS (aka Lucid Lynx) since it came out. Its running my lappy. I have tried 11.04 (aka Natty Narwhal) but I hate the Unity GUI. It is totally lame. I will have to look into GNOME 3, it will be part of the next LTS, as I do not know what has changed.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I have been running 10.04 LTS (aka Lucid Lynx) since it came out. Its running my lappy. I have tried 11.04 (aka Natty Narwhal) but I hate the Unity GUI. It is totally lame. I will have to look into GNOME 3, it will be part of the next LTS, as I do not know what has changed.
    For some reason I thought Unity and Gnome 3 were the same thing or that Unity ran on top of Gnome 3. I must have read a comparison and thought that Unity was Ubuntu's version of Gnome 3. Oops.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    For some reason I thought Unity and Gnome 3 were the same thing or that Unity ran on top of Gnome 3. I must have read a comparison and thought that Unity was Ubuntu's version of Gnome 3. Oops.
    I was about to state that you might be right, then I checked Wikipedia for both GNOME 3 (Link) and Unity (Link). Apparently they are different animals, although visually G3 is similar to Unity in that they are both very different from what has come before. So I guess I do not like G3 either.....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Makes total sense. The company that makes the browser that is the least HTML 5 compliant and has had numerous issues with Javascript compatibility and performance issues will base their entire next operating system on their inferior web browser. Did the execs from my last company all transfer to Microsoft since I left?

They think we are going back to all PCs being dumb terminals but instead of doing VT220 emulation, they will run IE and emulate a real web browser. I guess every home owner will then need to purchase a powerful server to do all the actual processing. Oh, that's right. We have the cloud they spent so much money on. And, that means they can license their software to us year by year rather than us being able to purchase it once and use it for 5-10 years since we all need to ridiculous bells and whistles added to Office each year. And, Intel can go back to selling millions of 80386 chips since you won't need an i7 to do web browsing. I guess they will focus on selling a few thousand Xeons instead. Yep. That's gonna happen. You might want to consider selling your Microsoft stock now. Whether it happens or not, it sounds a lot like Windows ME all over again.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Makes total sense. The company that makes the browser that is the least HTML 5 compliant and has had numerous issues with Javascript compatibility and performance issues will base their entire next operating system on their inferior web browser. Did the execs from my last company all transfer to Microsoft since I left?

They think we are going back to all PCs being dumb terminals but instead of doing VT220 emulation, they will run IE and emulate a real web browser. I guess every home owner will then need to purchase a powerful server to do all the actual processing. Oh, that's right. We have the cloud they spent so much money on. And, that means they can license their software to us year by year rather than us being able to purchase it once and use it for 5-10 years since we all need to ridiculous bells and whistles added to Office each year. And, Intel can go back to selling millions of 80386 chips since you won't need an i7 to do web browsing. I guess they will focus on selling a few thousand Xeons instead. Yep. That's gonna happen. You might want to consider selling your Microsoft stock now. Whether it happens or not, it sounds a lot like Windows ME all over again.
    Well, at least ME was "based" on a real OS. Now if Ubuntu would stop acting like a confused Mac/Windows wannabe and work on strengthening their gaming support for the current/Next Gen GPUs many, many thousands of Windows users would migrate to Linux. Keeping my fingers crossed........

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast