Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPU Transplant

Past Administrator

Re: CPU Transplant

Quote Originally Posted by Aux10 View Post
    My brother already wiped the drive and installed an OEM copy on it. Not sure what that was though, my best guess was that HP made it so Windows was permanently bound to the board.
    Now, I love me a good conspiracy theory, and I don't want to burst yours, but honestly, HP didn't do anything there, and neither did Microsoft. What happened is very typical Windows behavior. You installed a new mobo and GPU, and then it wouldn't boot the [old] OS. This is very normal and usual behavior for Windows, regardless of the "maker" of the PC. This has to do with the drivers and the registry that Windows creates when you install it on any particular machine.

Providing there was nothing more severe going on, the computer works perfectly on a fresh install of Windows, right?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Now, I love me a good conspiracy theory, and I don't want to burst yours, but honestly, HP didn't do anything there, and neither did Microsoft. What happened is very typical Windows behavior. You installed a new mobo and GPU, and then it wouldn't boot the [old] OS. This is very normal and usual behavior for Windows, regardless of the "maker" of the PC. This has to do with the drivers and the registry that Windows creates when you install it on any particular machine.

Providing there was nothing more severe going on, the computer works perfectly on a fresh install of Windows, right?
    It works perfectly now but I wouldn't be surprised lol.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Past Administrator

Oh sorry, I was under the impression you had reinstalled Windows after setting up the new system not still using the previous installed OS. So yeah, DP is correct. That behavior happens because the Windows installer configures the OS for the system hardware. Windows is too stupid, because it is mostly bloatware, to know what to do, unlike Linux which can adapt itself to a major hardware change.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12