Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BOINC 7.x breaks BOINC Project Updater

Friend of SETI.USA

Re: BOINC 7.x breaks BOINC Project Updater

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Win update on a working system .... blasphemy! Never happen
    lol ... Seriously I never Update the OS once it's installed, I just install SP2 then Shut off Auto Updates & any access to the Registry. I don't want Microsoft touching anything in my OS, they run just fine the way they are without any interference from Microsoft for what I use them for ...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    lol ... Seriously I never Update the OS once it's installed, I just install SP2 then Shut off Auto Updates & any access to the Registry. I don't want Microsoft touching anything in my OS, they run just fine the way they are without any interference from Microsoft for what I use them for ...
    +1

Silver Member

Could someone please explain the updater and how to use it for those of us who missed the class.

I have downloaded it and input what I thought was the right information but it doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks!

Friend of SETI.USA

JUst click on Edit at the top of the Updater Window it will say add or remove host/project.

Then fill in the Host name & password & URL of the Project you want to call to, you get the password from the BOINC File Directory, it's the gpu_rpc_auth.cfg file, open it up and copy the password to the BOINC Updater.

Each computer has it's own Password so you can't use the same one for each computer.

NOTE: Seems to work for me except my Win 7 Box but it doesn't seem to keep updating any of the Box's, it will show it's Hr's behind on the Updates so I don't think it's working like it should for me anyway ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-10-12 at 02:45 PM.

Diamond Member

Are you talking about access to a remote machine? If so, that remote machine has to have the FW set to allow access. Also, that remote machine BOINC has to be set up to allow the incoming IP address. There is a BOINC file it has to be added to. <---I think.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

The File would be the remote_hosts.cfg which all my Box's have to allow me to access them from 3 different Box's. 1 of the Box's is where I have the BOINC Updater installed on, funny thing is it's the Win 7 Box that won't Update itself with BOINCUpdater but BOINCView & BOINC Tasks both work from the Box ...

Past Administrator

JUst click on Edit at the top of the Updater Window it will say add or remove host/project.

Then fill in the Host name & password & URL of the Project you want to call to, you get the password from the BOINC File Directory, it's the gpu_rpc_auth.cfg file, open it up and copy the password to the BOINC Updater.

Each computer has it's own Password so you can't use the same one for each computer.

NOTE: Seems to work for me except my Win 7 Box but it doesn't seem to keep updating any of the Box's, it will show it's Hr's behind on the Updates so I don't think it's working like it should for me anyway ...
    Just tried it on my desktop Win7 Home Premium x64, seems to be working.

Some things to note:
    *Check your firewall, especially if your are using Windows Firewall (yuck), and add BoincProjectUpdater.exe to your allow/include list with TCP Outbound on port 31416.
    *You can edit the gpu_rpc_auth.cfg in your BOINC Data directory to change the password to anything you want. I made the password for all my boxes the same which makes them easier to manage for me. Changes won't take effect until BOINC is restarted.
    *If you want to manage remote hosts you may need to edit the remote_hosts.cfg file in the BOINC Data directory, for each remote system. to include the IP address of the computer used to manage remote systems.

Example:
    My_Desktop <---- Name of computer used as controller
    192.168.1.110 <---- Controller IP Address
    127.0.0.1 <---- Loopback Address (aka Localhost) See Wikipedia for more info (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

I added the Updater to the Firewall but still no go ...

Silver Member

if its on the same host make sure to us 127.0.0.1

Past Administrator

I added the Updater to the Firewall but still no go ...
    Hmmm, the only other thing I can think of is that it is an issue with the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) protocol, which is what BOINC uses for communication with remote hosts. Firewalls typically deny it because it is a very insecure method of data communication.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast