Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Radeon HD 7970 Quad CrossFireX Stomps...

Past Administrator

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7970 Quad CrossFireX Stomps...

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Rumor is they'll make one . . . I wouldn't be too shocked if a 7990 reference card popped up at CES in the next few days
    SWEET! Thanks. Is it correct that NVIDIA's next salvo is months off yet - like mid summer? I have to make a plan here and stick a picture of this on my vision board when it comes out.

Platinum Member

yeah it's looking like Nvidia won't have Kepler ready until Q2, but, regarding AMD's 7000 series, Nvidia did say “Kepler is much better than that“. No one is able to confirm if Kepler is even going to make an appearance at CES, but we'll find out tomorrow at 4pm PST at their press conference. Hopefully the CEO won't be holding up another fake card this year

Friend of SETI.USA

Out of Stock already on all the 7970 Cards, no big deal though as better Cards will come out ...

Silver Member

Aye cant wait to have a couple of these.. gonna have to sell off my two 6950 for em hopefully i can recoup some cost once the stock on these card finally meet the demand so i dont pay and arm and a leg for one... +$600 is way to much for one

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Aye cant wait to have a couple of these.. gonna have to sell off my two 6950 for em hopefully i can recoup some cost once the stock on these card finally meet the demand so i dont pay and arm and a leg for one... +$600 is way to much for one
    I wonder how much improvement in crunching Moo the 7970 will be over the 5870? That will determine whether I'll get a couple. If it is only 20% or so it won't be worth it.

Past Administrator

Our 5870s will finally seem long in the tooth crunching wise. There won't be a comparison.
    The 5870 has 2,720 GFLOPS @ 188W for a whopping 14.47 GFLOPs/WATT. An unbeatable card for years.

The new 7970 has 3,789 GFLOPS @ 250W for an even better 15.16 GFLOPS / WATT. That is a 40% performance increase in GFLOPS, without going to dual GPU card or using another PCI-e slot! I think a lot of people that are kind of dismissing this card are forgetting how many watts you had to throw at previous generation cards to get that kind of performance out of it before. Yes, it's damn expensive. Yes, there will be better cards in the future, but for right now - this is a pretty sweet card. Hopefully NVIDIA's Kepler will be "all that" and more . . . and then we'll have real GPU competition again! I also can't wait to see them come out with a dual GPU beast based on this thing

The other thing is that the new architecture, CGN, will be a lot more "crunching friendly" than the old VLI architecture. So, when compilers and code gets up to speed on the new stuff, we should see an even bigger jump in the new cards than their strict GFLOPS comparison suggests.

Also one other thing to note - for a project like MilkyWay that requires double precision, the new 7970 has roughly 75% higher double precision GFLOPS than our 5870s do.

Friend of SETI.USA

Had a chance to order 2 Regular XFX Editions but passed, I'll wait for the Dual Fan Model which will hopefully run cooler.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Had a chance to order 2 Regular XFX Editions but passed, I'll wait for the Dual Fan Model which will hopefully run cooler.
    And here I thought you were holding out for the dual GPU version of this beast!

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    And here I thought you were holding out for the dual GPU version of this beast!
    I'll try the Single Core 1'st & if I like it I'll maybe get 1 or 2 Dual Core Models. So far Newegg & AMAZON is the only place I've seen them, AMAZON is charging $40 more than Newegg so I can wait until Newegg has the Model I want at a lower price. Usually I don't get the new models until they've been out several month's anyway, price settles down by then & their in good supply.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I'll try the Single Core 1'st & if I like it I'll maybe get 1 or 2 Dual Core Models. So far Newegg & AMAZON is the only place I've seen them, AMAZON is charging $40 more than Newegg so I can wait until Newegg has the Model I want at a lower price. Usually I don't get the new models until they've been out several month's anyway, price settles down by then & their in good supply.
    Also waiting a spell means the manufactures have had time to discover and correct any bugs that will crop up.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast